Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard bags on Eurostar & TGV

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am in a bit of a problem.

I have booked a Eurostar trip to Paris later this month and a TGV to Bourg as we want to go from Ebbsfleet.

I just thought I would check the baggage allowance to be sure and it says baggage over 85cm in length must go through Eurodispatch (which is not available at Ebsfleet) but it also says that on the ski train a snowboard bag may be carried in addition to your normal luggage allowance "On all other trains, they're included as one of your two pieces of luggage"

This would imply we should be fine but I thought I would check with Eurostar to be sure - the lady I spoke to was unsure as this is a 'grey area' and to check with eurodispatch (which I cant get through to).

Has anyone carried a snowboard bag on the non-ski train - and was there any problems.

It would also appear to be fine on the TGV but any guidance on that would also be good.

Thanks in advance........
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll be fine. I've taken many trips on Eurostar and TGV with a ski bag and no one has batted an eyelid at it. If you can load and unload it yourself, and stow it considerately, there will be no problem just walking up with it. I usually take a couple of bungees with me to ensure it doesn't move around and allow me to store it vertically if necessary, but they will usually fit on the overhead racks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you - that's the reassurance I was looking for...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As kieranm says: i've never seen any Eurostar staff even remotely interested in the size of luggage. If you can lift it onto the racks, then no one seems concerned.
I'm sure snowboard bags are fine.
Not so sure about ski bags with the new Eurostar design. There used to be 2 shelves above the seats: a higher deep shelf that could take small bags and coats, and a lower narrow one that was ideal for ski bags. The lower shelf is no more.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As mentioned, you'll be fine on both trains. Last Feb I took the Eurostar to Paris and then the night train to Tarbes with a fully loaded double ski bag containing skis, boots, luggage (basically everything for my trip- very heavy!). On return, TGV from Tarbes to Paris then Eurostar back to London. No one had any interest in my bag and I used the over head racks on each train without any questions.

The best tip I can give though is to try to get on the train before other passengers- the over head racks get full up quite quickly so it's easier to 'bag' a space first! It was easier for others to put their bags around mine rather than the other way round. As mentioned take elastic bungees for a plan B too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I took my boardbag on the Eurostar from Ashford to Moutiers last easter, no problems - except having to carry the b*stard full of stuff, AND the wifes ski bag, AND the rollie luggage... Wheelie coffin purchased for this years trip as it'll have the wifes skis in it too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy