Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Possibly back - Advice needed - Ski trip with 1 yr old and 3.5 yr old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having previously been very average but enthusiastic skiers who have not been since the birth of our first daughter back in 2012, a conversation with my other half ended in me begging to go skiing this year and she did not say no (accepted, she didn't say yes either but that's another argument entirely). This leaves me needing your help

Due to work commitments, we basically cant go until at least the last week of March, but April is pretty open. I have spoken with a colleague who assures me that it is possible to have a great week at several resorts mid April onward, but I have no experience of this myself. We have a 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old, we have tried to take the 3.5 year old to the local dry slope in Norwich but were refused because they don't start until 6 years old. So neither child has even seen a pair of ski's, let alone driven any

So we are looking for suggestions for

Somewhere to go, preferably a chalet, somewhere with good snow late season, which will have a ski school for a 3.5 year old (I am assuming mornings only due to her age and attention span, which means afternoon kids club type thing?) and a ski kindergarten for the really small one.

My preference is a small company, catered chalet, historically favorite country was Austria, but France/Italy perfectly acceptable, I know beggars cannot be choosers.

My assumptions above are based on no knowledge, so please correct me as appropriate

I have already checked the MarkWarner site, any experience of these people?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would recommend Esprit Ski with that age. If you are talking this season weekend of 2nd / 3rd is second week of school holidays (so will cost more).

I would they have chalets and chalet hotel options. The chalet hotel have free baby listening service which we found very reassuring meaning we could leave the girls asleep in the room when we went down to dinner.

If me I would look at Obergurgl, St Anton, Courchevel 1850, Tignes and Val D'Isere offering from their brochure if looking mid April.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are not set on a particular resort, Esprit ski offer very good last minute deals.
This way, you would know where has snow, but naturally, would risk them not having availability after all...

I found Easter to be a really good time to take the little ones as it's generally warmer and they have more fun when they do get to play in the snow. The last time we went away at Easter, I think went to la Plagne.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try Sainte Foy with Premiere Neige
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've used Esprit with our boys, from 6 months, they make skiing with young children a LOT easier - I've preferred their chalet hotels rather than the chalets as all the childcare is in one building which makes logistics a doddle instead of dropping off to snowclub / nursery in assorted chalets.

We've also used and would also heartily recommend, Family Friendly Skiing in La Tania and were there last Easter (w/c 27th March iirc) and are booked there again this year the same week - last year we could ski down to the resort every day, bit slushy on the last couple of days but fine higher up so fingers crossed for the same this year!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+ 1 for Esprit. Just double check at what age the ski schools will take children into the classes from at whichever resort you pick. I think your 3.5 year old should be fine in most resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have no experience personally, but in my recent search for accommodation I came across Ski Famille who are a small company with family-centric catered chalets in Les Menuires. Probably worth a look if you want a genuine chalet holiday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@J9, 3.5 is fine I using Esprit. If booking directly then you are right we found it varied from area to area whether it was 3 or 4 as the minimum age.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It depends whether your primary aim is to go skiing yourself as soon as possible or to give your children the best possible introduction to skiing. Children are all different but IMHO it would be worth waiting until the youngest is at least 4. Either way Esprit are very good at keeping children happy on and off the snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Esprit, they will look after your kids allowing you to ski, if your eldest gets tired in the lesson they will bring them back to the kids club without having to disturb you, our son loved it.
Make some time to come back a bit earlier on a few days so you can take them out to play in the snow, and hopefully your eldest will show off their new found skill Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've used Crystal since our daughter was 2, have always found the childcare excellent
she has been on ski kindergarten since she was 3 (esf) and the crystal childcare team takes them, picks up and takes care of the afternoons
She has had so much fun that on the days I decide to take the afternoon off to play with her she has asked to stay "a little bit longer"
Also if the kid refuses to stay at the ski school, they will just ask them to help taking the rest (normally by then the kid will change their minds and stay) but if the kid still refuses they will do something else with them
And if they need a change of clothes or needs anything else middle of the lesson they will do that for you
We tend to stay on the hotel the kids club runs to make it easy in the mornings
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We did Espirit with our two in Obergurgl, they were very good and you'll get plenty of ski time. We're doing Arc 1950 first week of April this year as meant to be family friendly but ours are a little older now (10 and 13).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another +1 for Esprit.

Our preference is small chalets and not chalet hotels. But every parent has their own view on this. We like the kids tucked up and sound asleep nearby so they can find us if needed and we can here them (or not if they're spark out). Have been to larger chalet without kids and find 20, 30, 40 plus people in a dining area less relaxing. Each to their own though. We choose the chalet that has childcare facilities within it so life is easy in the morning.

Child care is great. They supervise everything from 8.30 onwards. Getting kids ready, warms ups with singing, taking them to nursery slopes, staying during lessons, returning them to chalet and supervised lunch if required.

However, if your eldest is not 4 I do not think they offer lessons for 3 year olds. You will find them available in some resorts but Esprit do not do all the leg work for you which will impact your time on the slopes.

Used Crystal once when my youngest was 1. The childcare is more of an 'add on' to their offerings, unlike Esprit, Ski Famille, Ski Beat etc. who seem to have all bases covered. We have not used Crystal since for family skiing but this may just be our experience.

Dodge Easter to get the best deals. Book late to get great price and check snow conditions. High and not south facing will probably tick resort boxes.

Skiing is different with a family but our kids love the snow, enjoy ski lessons and have a great time. The effort now will make life even easier for you in a few years time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are going away at Easter with a 6 and a 4 year old and have chosen ski2 based in Champoluc after a lot of research.

We had them both away for a week in Chamrousse last year and managed to sneak the younger child into the ESP Piou Piou club at a couple of weeks shy his third birthday. It didn't go particularly well with a lot of tears and recalcitrance.

This New Year we were at La Norma which has a massive nursery slope. Proir to leaving the youngest had 5 or 6 private lessons on a dry slope. After three days of 1 hour private lessons on snow he was controlling his speed and direction very well and slaloming down the nursery slope. There was even a hint of a parallel turn there!

He spent three hours on the slope every day and didn't want to leave. He loved it. This may well be because his elder brother has been skiing for two and a half years and he wanted to copy him as he has spend many hours watching him ski.

Not every child is the same. Some don't take to skiing at all.

I would say that private lessons are MUCH better than group lessons for children, well, for anyone really.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy