Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traffic to Germany from Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
We are leaving at lunchtime tomorrow from obertauern and heading to Munich airport. Any suggestions on good alternative to A10 / a8 crossing? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wait and see is my advice, you could find yourself behind the main wave of returnees. Many Dutch and Danish set off today, when I drove over this morning there was a long but slowly rolling jam heading into Germany. At the Salzburg-Süd junction there is a sign indicating how long the wait is. I usually double it and then decide whether to seek an alternative. The quickest is the option to use the A1 towards Wien at the Salzburg Knoten. Stay in the right-hand lane and come off at the first junction, Salzburg-West. Follow the signs to Lofer, Innsbruck and Bad Reichenhall. Do not rejoin the motorway at Walserberg but carry on under it. After about 3kms there is a set of traffic lights where you hanger right and filter on to the road leading back to the A8 just after the check point at Piding.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerburg Sue, thank you. We have crossed the border using your detour route and must have saved at least 30 mins. Signs were saying 40 mins delay on the A8 but must have been longer. Also, Google Maps a revelation!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Maddriver, glad it worked for you. I just got caught by my bloody Sat-Nav NOT telling me it was building up until I had been sitting in the queue for 10 minutes! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad The sign on the A10 at the end of the Salzburg-Süd interchange said 45 minutes but the traffic report minutes later said it was flowing, so I gambled. Sign was wrong, but so was the radio! Embarassed As the weather was not too pleasant either the traffic was building up both at the checkpoint and afterwards! At least they opened 2 lanes tonight for the first time that I've seen this season. There were absolutely NO police checking cars on the motorway bit, they were all sheltering from the monsoon like rain/sleet under the big tent in the control area! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Drove today from Fieberbrunn to Munich airport, taking the back road from Kufstein through Kiefersfelden. That took about two and a half hours with the only delays from heavy snow at the start. There were queues at the border on the autobahn but cars on the outer lane seemed to be moving, though slowly.

On my return journey, all on the autobahn around midday, I had a better view (of the northbound traffic) and the situation seemed pretty bad. There weren't many cars queuing at the control post - but that was because lorries, no doubt with frustrated drivers, were blocking the outside lane, so that cars couldn't get past. The queue of lorries stretched back to the Kufstein Süd exit and cars were backed up just about as far. More seriously, there had been a crash in the outside lane, further increasing the chaos Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi
Travelled to Soll last half term from Munich airport and we shared a minibus with another family so the cost was reasonable. This year there are only the four of us and hence car hire is much, much cheaper. Last year we left Soll at 5.30am and were massively delayed at the Kufstein border crossing, which shocked me given the time of day. Were it not for the driver using the hard shoulder we would definitely have missed our flight. Hiring a car this time – and it being half term – this is of a massive concern to me! If I’d have thought about it I would have booked a flight for the Sunday and stayed a night near Munich but its too late now. I don’t know whether to a. leave after dinner Friday and stay near the airport or b. just leave super-early to allow for it/beat the traffic (i.e.: 4am for an 8.40am flight)? I’ve no idea if this sort of delay so early on a Saturday morning (albeit it at the end of half term week) are typical, or if there had been an incident at our time of passing – either way it was a very uncomfortable couple of hours that I am keen to avoid repeating….. I’ve read some of your very useful suggestions thanks about alternative routes which I will consider but any reassurance that it is not that bad normally or has eased up would be welcome in the meantime!!!
Many thanks!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@1974RBC, for such an early flight sleeping near the airport (say in Hallbergmoos or Ismaning is always better IMV. On friday ski all day, pack and drive to Munich without hurry (don't care if you get there at 10 pm or later). Wake up at reasonable hour (5:30?), eat breakfast, get to the airport with enough time to have the rental car inspected in your presence (so you won't be "surprised" with extortionate charges for invisible scratches). All this as opposed to skiing on Friday, packing, having dinner in resort and getting up at 3:30 for a long drive with time pressure.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sugardaddy, +1 we stay at Novotel MUC airport always good, dump hire car at MUC airport and free bus to hotel, 2 stops. We ski all day then leave resort at 5pm, doesn't matter if you arrive late at hotel, 24 hour bar food, good nights sleep and breakfast then free bus to airport. The border is an unknown and can be hit or miss, plus speed cameras all across Austria don't help!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmmm. Thanks very much both.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can get a good rate then Hilton is the best option at the Airport (used to be the Kempinski). Connected to the terminal and 2-3 minutes walk to either the check-in desks or from the car hire desks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@downhillalltheway, Agreed - Usually mega expensive though!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for your input guys. Hilton coming out very expensive, Novotel £65 for a family room so its just weighing up whether we do that or get up super early and although a lot of time. You guys can't see anything improving/changing in the meantime then? Its a fairly permanent problem last couple/few years then?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@1974RBC, Yep and getting worse post Brenner (new tunnel to/ from Italy that potentially lets illegals through in/ under vans/ lorries) its a big thing in southern Germany and Austria. Migrants traffic on route to Northern Europe from North Africa......big subject, don't shoot the messenger!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, if you are talking about the Brenner Base Tunnel (Brennerbasistunnel) then that is not due for completion until 2025. It's going to be a pure rail tunnel something like 63Km in length. Not sure this is going to change anything wrt illegals getting into Austria / Germany though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1974RBC wrote:
Thanks for your input guys. Hilton coming out very expensive, Novotel £65 for a family room so its just weighing up whether we do that or get up super early and although a lot of time. You guys can't see anything improving/changing in the meantime then? Its a fairly permanent problem last couple/few years then?

Weather risk is as much of an issue as border traffic in my opinion. Personally if I had a flight before 9.30ish from Munich I'd drive the night before and stay at the airport. One shunt on the Munich Ring Autobahn can add 30-40 minutes.
snow report
Traffic at Brenner crossing adds about 30 mins if coming from Italy. But like @Steilhang says that's nothing to do with the unbuilt tunnel.

Similar time crossing from Austria into Germany at Walserberg.
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
@Markymark29, if you are talking about the Brenner Base Tunnel (Brennerbasistunnel) then that is not due for completion until 2025. It's going to be a pure rail tunnel something like 63Km in length. Not sure this is going to change anything wrt illegals getting into Austria / Germany though.

My understanding is the plan is for the train to carry lorries rather than have them driving over the Brenner. But I might well be wrong. We paddle past a lot of the building work on my local kayak run and it's interesting to see the progress.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

My understanding is the plan is for the train to carry lorries rather than have them driving over the Brenner. But I might well be wrong. We paddle past a lot of the building work on my local kayak run and it's interesting to see the progress.
that's the plan. Good thing. Will do a lot to clean up the air in Wipptal that's for sure.
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

that's the plan. Good thing. Will do a lot to clean up the air in Wipptal that's for sure.

Thanks - gotta agree its a good thing too! Does that mean private cars will still all have to go over the Pass then, or will there be slots on the train too?
ski holidays
@clarky999, I think there will be provision for you put your car on a train if you like, but I'm not sure where the endpoints for private traffic will be. Lorries headed to and from Italy will have to go on the train. Which I assume will mean a lot more rail traffic starting and ending at the ports in Rotterdam / Livorno etc. All in all I see the whole project positively.
latest report
@Steilhang, thanks. Either way should make driving into Stubaital or on up to Steinach/Matrie/into Italy quicker and easier.
latest report
Need to drive to Stuttgart airport for 13:00 flight on Saturday Jan 5th, a very busy day on roads out of Austria and heavy snow expect through Friday night. So how early should I get on road and which route?

Came via Fernpass but looking at traffic reports today long delays with snow today so is Arlberg tunnel the sensible option. If I drove through the night on Vorarlberg route will roads be ploughed and how long might it take, 4 hours if light traffic?
ski holidays
Depends where you're travelling from... if Innsbruck/Oetztal etc. then yeah I'd probably go that way. Snowploughs will be out all night if it's dumping. Might be a bit slow on the single lane bit of the Arlberg S-road if you get stuck behind a plough. If going from Zillertal, then I'd prolly go via Munich and round the ring (but it could be heaving with traffic). The autobahn from Bregenz to Ulm is usually pretty deserted IME.
latest report
@Peter Ross, where are you driving from? Fernpass will probably (almost certainly) be open, but traffic will be a problem. For Stuttgart from west of Austria I think the Arlberg tunnel / Bregenz / Ulm would be best.
ski holidays
Sorry, Serfaus in West Tirol, at the moment reading traffic reports Fernpass Is very slow and traffic was at a standstill earlier today. [url=]https://www.oeamtc.at/routenplaner/?type=traffic&resource=traffic/OEAMTC_184492[/url]
snow report
I went from Ischgl to Munich via the Fernpass last Saturday - so heavy traffic but good weather and no snow on the roads at all. Journey took 4 hours instead of the 3 hours that the satnav initially estimated and all of the delay was in the Fernpass. It was stop/start and crawling all the way from Dormitz to Lermoos, after which it cleared completely for no apparent reason. So I'd guess at least an hour on top of estimate time for that route.
ski holidays
I came over the Fernpass last Saturday on dry roads. Long delays on sections of autobahn between Stuttgart and Memmingen but no delays after that. Journey took 5.5 hrs about 2 hrs more than on a quiet day. As I drove down, wished I had flown into a close airport!

I expect it to be worse next Saturday with snow forecast the whole journey and huge volumes of tourists heading home. Maybe I could ski back snowHead
ski holidays
Report on Twitter about Fernpass today "the #Fernpass # B179 is open again after many hours, but there is still a lot of delay. Driving conditions are heavy due to snowfall and slipperiness. Snow chains mandatory. If possible, postpone your trip."

Read more here

[url=]https://www.snowrepublic.nl/wintersporters-muurvast-op-de-fernpass[/url]/

Are snow chains mandatory in Austria for a car with winter tyres?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter Ross, If there is heavy snow the Fernpass can get blocked, it only takes one truck or coach to get stuck and the ploughs cant get through. I have had to turn around on the southern side and go back to the Inntal, very dull. If there is so much snow on the road that the police are insisting on snow chains winter tyres will make no difference.

For your trip home go via the Arlberg tunnel and then Bregenz. Traffic should not be too bad on Saturday, Sunday afternoon will be the big push back home. These roads are very unlikely to be blocked, it has happened but only in huge snow storms which are not currently forecast.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, thanks for the tips, I plan to get on the road early to be on safe side timewise.
ski holidays
It was fun yesterday. There was a blizzard blowing most the way. Took me 5 hours from Ellmau to MUC.
snow report
@Peter Ross, There is some discussion of this on the Arlberg thread at the moment. There will be lots of Swiss and Dutch heading home on Saturday. My experience is that folk tend to ski at least some of the day before leaving hence home bound traffic being more spread out over the day, Sunday afternoon being the peak time as day & weekend visitors head home. However if the weather is poor on Saturday more folk might decide to leave after breakfast, no point in skiing in a snow storm so maybe, especially as it has been a busy week, traffic will be considerable. Two main pinch points, the single carriageway section through the Arlberg tunnel and onto Bludenz and the entrance to the Pfänder tunnel at Bregenz (though this should now not be an issue as there is a second bore).

Given it is the best part of a 4 hour drive anyway a 07:00 departure would make sense, if you are worried a little earlier though if you start this early you will be ahead of most folk.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Also gets mega busy where north of Memmingen you join Munich to Stuttgart traffic on A8.@Peter Ross, on Saturday i'd try be out for 8am latest, it's going to be busiest day of the year with bad weather can be bad.
snow report
Can also back up approaching the Arlberg tunnel toll booths. I've seen the queue stretching back beyond Schnann before (during a feb half term weekend)
ski holidays
@Markymark29, yes on way down on Saturday that's where the delays were on A8.

@munich_irish, I say the discussion on the Arlberg thread alright.

I was planning on leaving at 6am at latest
as with minimum 4 hour drive, will leave earlier if snowing heavily.
snow conditions
Left Kitzbuhel at 11am and currently 30km south of Munich at 2:10pm. Very slow over the border. Moving but slowly.
snow conditions
Even yesterday the traffic moving north to Munich was quite heavy, a couple of "stau"s from accidents but don't think anything was ever at a complete standstill.
We were heading south and roads were comparatively empty, clear and dry.
ski holidays
Left Serfaus at 5:05am this morning, decided to go Fernpass as looking at the webcams no snow on road and radar showed none arriving until later. They was a steady stream of traffic, but moving. It was not until got over border did snow really hit, blizzard like conditions the whole way to Stuttgart airport. Approx 4.5 hrs driving time, about 1 hour more than best possible time. Most of the delay was slower driving on autobahn because of the bad weather.

Looking at webcams now (12:30pm) the Fernpass much more blocked up.

https://www.tirol.gv.at/verkehr/strassenbau-und-strassenerhaltung/webcams/b179/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy