Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did someone say new helmet...?

Poster: A snowHead
Epic, and recent, threads suggest I have every excuse to buy a new helmet.

My trusty Salomon Ranger has served me well since my second week of skiing about four years ago (first week was a stylish bobble hat), but a recent tumble in slushy, icy St Gervais means a new one could definitely be on the cards, even though it is slightly early by some reckoning.

Conventional wisdom suggests I should just go straight for the new model of the Ranger - which I may well do as the ventilation has been good and it is comfortable - but should I be broadening my horizons?

I've heard very good things about POC for both protection and comfort, but they look less well ventilated than the Ranger. I've also bought Oakley A frames (which fit very well with the Ranger, at least on my head) but look a little small compared to the POC equivalents... I'm all for an excuse to buy new kit, but new goggles too would be too much of a stretch at the moment.

Do people have thoughts on this? what do others use?

I would very much welcome some suggestions before I head off to try a load of stuff out with my goggles...

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been very happy with my Salomon Ranger (only 3yrs old so no excuse to replace it at the mo') and would happily invest in the same again Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the vote of confidence @halfhand, I may well follow suit and stick with the Ranger.

However, the kid in me that loves new stuff is sorely tempted to go for the updated Smith Vantage (with MIPS). But - of course - it isn't cheap.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/smith-vantage-mips-ski-helmet/707535

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/smith-vantage-helmet (older model, but glowing review).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a Smith Vantage and its awesome. Wouldnt buy anything else - well I might be tempted to get one of those visor thingys so I can look like I pilot airwolf Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really rate my Smiths Vantage, its a couple of years old now buy I would but again when the time come to replace it.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 10-01-16 21:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I really rate my Smiths Vantage, its a couple of years old now but I would but again when the time come to replace it.

+1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
another vote for the smith vantage rxsports and igero have them cheaper and in more colour choices than the ellis brigham or snow and rock
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just gone through this process and finding a helmet that was very well ventalated was top of my list. After spending time trying different ones on I went for the smith vantage mips. It's super comfortable, also it works well with my oakley airbrakes.

By the way the vantage comes in both with and without MIPS there's about a 40 quid difference in price.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have one of these from RoHo at a great price.
http://www.roho.co.uk/watersports/Sweet-Protection-Trooper--2015-2016------.html

However, golden rule of getting a helmet. Try it on..... AND.... try it on with your goggles. Happy

I found out that one set of goggles/helmet combination pushed them onto my nose. Also check for the Gaper-Gap.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a Salomon Ranger helmet that I loved until last season the lining started to fall apart and it became very uncomfortable. Tried on lots of different brands in the shops in Austria and it was only Smith that gave me an equally comfortable fit. So the Vantage should be a good fit for you.

Where are you going for your next trip? I'm sure I spent about £100 on the Vantage last season in Zell am Ziller, so with the better exchange rate this year you might be better for just buying when you get there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do you not fancy a nice Bamboo helmet by Bogner? Only aroond aboot 450 of your sterling pounds..... (yes, that's real wood there....)
(Forgive me.... was bored and surfing around. The Daily Telegraph is to blame i think... but there's some good laughs at the bogner shop....)

I'd have to remove the B emblem thing though...

ps my actual helmet is a Smith Vantage - and 'tis very good indeed (as is the photochromic red sensor lens in their goggles)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So... the Vantage then!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'll have to get in a shop and try one on with my A-frames. And if I look like I'm in Airwolf, that is a massive bonus. The theme tune rocks.

@Valkyrie, My next trip is yet to be planned - just back from a New Year odyssey in St Gervais with no snow. Going to try and get a cheeky long weekend in around April, but we are away in the southern hemisphere beforehand where it is stubbornly the wrong season. This means I'm going to live vicariously through the researching and purchasing of ski kit to make up for the gap.

@coops1967, I saw a leather helmet on a ski instructor in La Plagne last year. I don't quite think it made him look as cool as he thought it did...!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just bought a Vantage too it arrived today (but tried one on in resort last week while browsing and it was a very good fit)
It is superb
So comfortable and actually better and lighter than my previous Smith Variant Brim
Can't wait to try it skiing next month
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
I have one of these from RoHo at a great price.
http://www.roho.co.uk/watersports/Sweet-Protection-Trooper--2015-2016------.html

However, golden rule of getting a helmet. Try it on..... AND.... try it on with your goggles. Happy

I found out that one set of goggles/helmet combination pushed them onto my nose. Also check for the Gaper-Gap.

+1 for Roho prices and customer service. Also got a trooper from them. You will have serious gap issues with a trooper and a frames though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going to make a big ol' vote for your original choice POC. I've got a skull light which doesn't look like a very well vented lid but it really is excellent. I generate A LOT of heat and both my previous lids you could wring out the linings after about an hour, despite plenty of traditional vent holes. The POC is different - it uses air flow from the front ducted through channels inside the core of the helmet to draw hot air out and vent out the back. Sweat used to pour off me, but since I switched to POC, i'm warm but never sweaty.
snow conditions
How about this one.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy