Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow and Rock: anyone else had issues recently?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Snow and Rock seem to be dire at the moment, ordered something in november, it arrived the middle of december with bits missing, (and an email to say certain items now out of stock, well yes I did order it 3 weeks ago) so I jump through various hoops on the website to send an email, and now they send a reply 3 weeks later...we are very busy, resubmit your request.

really dreadful:~/

why did I buy anything from them?

anyone else had issues?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought a pair of boots for one of my kids from S&R just before Christmas. This particular store, which I won't name, seemed a bit light on stuff, as though they'd had a load of locusts through the day before. She's 6ft and has size 8 feet, which are both at the upper end for females (hopefully she's stopped growing) but not freakish, and they only had one pair of boots that would fit her and were of a decent flex. Luckily they were a really nice pair of Salomons, but the selection wasn't great. Not massively impressed with the service either - the guy who fitted her spent more time looking at her legs and flirting with her until I found a way of mentioning that she's only just fifteen without embarassing him too much. Also not massively impressed with the fact that the cheapest pair of socks I could buy in store was £19 (my daughter had obviously forgotten to wear socks). My fault (or hers), but still.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Requested a brochure off the website at the end of October as the wife and I were looking to research prices for some new skis. Brochure still hasn't arrived but have managed to buy new skis through Edge and Wax. The best point is that we have saved approx £120 aginst SnR listed price and have £80 loyalty against any next purchase at E&W.
Now waiting avidly for end of Jan trip so we can try them out! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ordered a new ski jacket for OH birthday in Nov. I didnt get a confirmation email so I phoned their customer services team to check and they told me they had just been taken over by a french company who also own Cotswold outdoors and their computer and warehousing systems had got completely c**ked up and there were big delays. The item did arrive though, within 2 weeks (was told it could take up to 3).

So black friday took the gamble and ordered some stuff from runners need (same thing bought by same company). This time stuff took 4 weeks to arrive AT THE STORE for click and collect. Then it was a shambles at the store putting things through the till as again new computer systems. Stock levels seemed pretty low aswell. Seems like it could be a while before thingas settle down
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ordered some Warden bindings at a very good price from the website in November, 10 days later received an email telling me they had 'sold out' and my money was eventually refunded. Emailed them telling them how annoyed I was that they were still listing them as available for sale on their website and what a poor experience it had been, today some 6 weeks later received an email asking if I'd sent them an email and apologising that they'd been very busy and could I send it again. Their Facebook page contains many similar tales of woe, seems they're in utter disarray, would avoid.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Was in S&R at the Chill Factore last weekend and noticed a big difference in the lack of brands & stock available. Got the feeling stock was being cleared out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to say I haven't noticed any problems recently with Snow&Rock, but mind you I have done all my ordering over the phone with the store. As in I call them up, tell them the product codes, they order it into the store, I don't pay anything, go into the store try it, if I like it pay for it.

I have to say they have always gotten back to me to say the stuff had arrived in store about 3 days later.

This was over the Novemeber/early December period.

As for boot fitting that is a completely different issue. A few years back I bought from snow and rock due to a generous discount they were offering to me on any boots. Needless to say it took me 3 different stores and several people until I found someone that actually knew what they were doing and weren't just repeating what they learnt from doing a day course and what brand rep had told them about boots. This was again highlighted back in November when I was with a friend who wanted to buy new boots. So ended up in 2 different snow and rocks where the first person really didn't know what they were talking about and the second shop where they were trying to push the wrong boot because they didn't have the correct size in stock*. there are some great people that really know their stuff and hats off to those guys as I have seen them work with some of the customers when i've been in store for other stuff.

*you will often hear that two ski boots with different mondo sizes are the same. Yes the shell comes from the same mold but not the plates/insoles. Yes alot can be done with custom footbeds to change the volume inside the shell but do you really think the average customer knows this and secondly will the sales person be able to achieve this and also make a correct fit? After all the name of the game is sales and the more they sell the better. Spending countless hours with a customer grinding, molding and stretching a boot means they aren't selling to other customers.

I think at the end of the day when you get to the stage where you can actually tell how your equipment is responding/feels to minute changes in set up then you really shouldn't be going to get fitted at a high street shop. But for the person that doesn't buckle their boots correctly, pull up the tongue of the liner or understand that the powerstrap plays an extremely important role then I guess it doesn't really matter if you get sold a boot from a high street store.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
extremerob wrote:

I think at the end of the day when you get to the stage where you can actually tell how your equipment is responding/feels to minute changes in set up then you really shouldn't be going to get fitted at a high street shop. But for the person that doesn't buckle their boots correctly, pull up the tongue of the liner or understand that the powerstrap plays an extremely important role then I guess it doesn't really matter if you get sold a boot from a high street store.

And thats why these people will never learn to ski or fully enjoy it. If you got a clueless bootfitter then you as an end user shall remain clueless.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, can't quite agree with that toffee nosed "these people" stuff. In ye olde dayes of skirunning, there were no power straps, boots were made of a kind of linoleum concrete (I made that up), footbeds were featured on Tomorrow's World with Raymond Baxter. And skis - let's not go there. But, miraculously, we learned to ski and fully enjoyed it. Bootfitters hadn't been born yet but our feet were so cold we couldn't feel the pain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pruman wrote:
Well, can't quite agree with that toffee nosed "these people" stuff. In ye olde dayes of skirunning, there were no power straps, boots were made of a kind of linoleum concrete (I made that up), footbeds were featured on Tomorrow's World with Raymond Baxter. And skis - let's not go there. But, miraculously, we learned to ski and fully enjoyed it. Bootfitters hadn't been born yet but our feet were so cold we couldn't feel the pain.

Yes and because of power straps and footbeds and the like its now even more fun to ski... I grew up in rear entry boots and straight skis era and in the pre foot bed era and spent a lot of time in rental boots and rental gear. I'm glad theres now rocker, carvers, footbeds and more boots than you can ever want to choose from as it lets you enjoy it even more. Theres no point in suffering with ok ish kit when decent kit is well within your reach for not much more.

I made the mistake of going to a highstreet store for my 1st pair of new boots and footbeds etc, it ruined three weeks of skiing. Getting it all done right and a proper bootfitter was worth every penny.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They have been taken over by Cotswold outdoor I believe. Not sure whether that is good or bad as I have never had any dealings with Cotswold
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't this another company bought out by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.

Shops & Football are the same - no investment = poor performance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, i resubmitted my request and got a response, within 48 hours which was pretty good, so maybe things are getting back to normal. Anyway the response was a full refund as they had no more stock of the item, which means i have to find another which is a bit of a pain, but........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy