Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Samerberg Sue, the chalet we rented in Les Gets was well equipped for cooking. We left things like toilet paper, olive oil, a couple of inches of gin, some stock cubes etc which we thought would be useful for the next people only to watch the landlady, when she came to check through and return our deposit, sweep even the toilet roll into her bags and remove them. Mean old cow! Its safest to assume there'll be nothing, true enough. But with a group of capable adults allocating everybody a couple of "staples" to bring was easy enough and people generally brought the key ingredients for their own meal - spices etc - to keep shopping time to a minimum. All concerned were used to camping and victualling yachts and rose to the occasion. It was fun, but granted it wouldn't suit every body.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So @Samburg Sue you have not felt you had to go out? No imperative to be elsewhere at lunchtime? And could you have made yourself a cup of soup or something in the room at lunchtime?

@pam w, I enjoy the whole producing a meal in a different place challenge but as you rightly say it does not suit everyone. This year we will be fully catered because we can go out of peak times and it works out a good deal. But I just know I am going to miss cooking rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
While getting 24th December (Saturday) might be okay will there be an issue with only booking 3 days of New Year week? Given that the 31st December to 7th January will be a peak week and command some of the highest rates; will there be a provider prepared to lose 5 days?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unlikely
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The weekends are certainly inconvenient for Christmas/New Year 2016. I'm probably going to offer 30 Dec - 7 Jan, 8 nights, for the NY week. That means avoiding travelling on New Year's Eve, peak 'week' gets 8 nights, and travel to resort is done on a Friday so hopefully avoiding a busy transfer day. Downside is that many schools will return before 6 January, so it might be tricky to sell that week if families don't want to miss the first couple of days of term.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, unlikely there will be an issue or unlikely the OP will find somewhere willing to only fill a room/chalet/apartment for 2 days at New Year?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gazzaredcruiser, if you do decide Val d'Isere then I would highly recommend Project Ski. We go for opening week every season
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gaza, our current plan is to be reasonably flexible but we will need to be back on Sat-Sat come January and we will not expect to lose revenue for two of the season's most expensive weeks.

We've been through this before, it's no big drama for us but likewise not an opportunity for a cheap holiday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, We used to leave stuff for the next guests but we had an incident where the guest was unhappy with "leftovers" so we said dry goods only, then some kids put salt in the sugar - I know because I was in the apartment when a friend made creme caramel with it. I was mortified. I provided toilet paper, handwash, washing up liquid, kitchen roll. There is usually salt, pepper and a few herbs on the rack so we just leave them but generally the instruction is chuck everything.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Gaza, our current plan is to be reasonably flexible but we will need to be back on Sat-Sat come January and we will not expect to lose revenue for two of the season's most expensive weeks.

Exactly my point. The OP may well struggle to find somewhere that will only allow what is effectively 2 nights at New Year week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CaravanSkier, breakfast is so huge, if I'm not skiing I don't have to eat. I always have plenty of fruit in my room so no need to go out or downstairs to the restaurant either if I don't want to. I even entertained 2 children here the other day, bought them lunch including dessert and had only a drink and nicked a few chips off their plates. The evening meal is is also large so I'm pushed to eat all 4 courses any way. In the town there are more than enough cafés and bars to offer drinks and snacks if I want them. The same goes for the walking trails which are often along the same stretches as the cross-country skiers, so again ample opportunity to indulge in hot chocolates and cake! I have more or less stopped eating anything for lunch any way when I'm working I'd rather stay at my desk with some fruit and leave an hour earlier. A good breakfast and evening meal seem to provide more than enough for me to cope!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Samerberg Sue, Thank you, its always interesting to know what others do when not skiing. My 91 year old Aunt will be with us again this year and she does not venture out without one of us. This year our 2nd week chalet has a restaurant attached, and a lift, which will be great for her. I always need to bear in mind what facilities are available 'in house' as I don`t always get back for lunch. I keep thinking each year that she will not manage another snow holiday but she is still fit enough to go and really enjoys the ambience and the whole being in the snowy Alps 'thing'! I hope you are able to get back on the slippy stuff shortly. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

My only "bitch" about next year is that it will use up a lot of my holiday time as Germany does not make up any holidays that fall at the weekend. Next Christmas/New Year is a really bad one for us!

Ours is certainly an odd one.

May 1st is a Bank Holiday Sunday! At least October 3rd ends up a long weekend.

Christmas for us is 23rd+26th as holidays to compensate for Christmas being the weekend. And then we get 30th too, which is an odd one. But I think that's also compensation for not getting the southern Germany holiday. Then 1st Jan is a Sunday, so that probably means another bank holiday Sunday!?

Saying that, I note that Oberpfaffenhofen and Köln guys get only 1 day. Ouch.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CaravanSkier, I was out today photographing and interviewing the Ladies World Cup racers who had their first training today at Zauchensee. This area would suit your needs perfectly as Altenmarkt is the perfectly placed base for Ski amadé. Going up again to Zauchensee tomorrow and Sunday to do the same!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of changes happening in our family at present, this years may be the last family ski trip, at least for a while. But we shall see, and if next year is a possibility (particularly if my middle son who works in Germany could join us) I will certainly be looking at Austria! Thank you @Samerberg Sue,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy