Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vanessa Mae

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone any views on Vanessa Mae getting to call herself "an olympian" ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/35218889

Im not clued in but my understanding is there was grave failings and controversy in her getting to Sochi in the 1st place.

My laymans interpretation would be that anyone with a decent level of skiing ability who has money and influence can enter the Olympics and therefore call themselves an "Olympian" regardless of how far off the pace they are.

Why would she bother even doing all this?
Views?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hawkwind, My opinion is that she would have made the standard if her coach at the time had picked more suitable races.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good luck to her, I say.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hawkwind wrote:
Why would she bother even doing all this?

She is obviously a determined lady. She has a new coach and was training on Tignes Glacier in the autumn. Looked pretty good.

I bet a few Brits would love to call themselves Olympians but the powers that be decided not to send them to Sochi
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hawkwind, I think she has since been cleared of any direct involvement but the Slovenian officials concerned have been banned for a long time the obvious manipulation of the results made a mockery of the hard work all had put in.

I was chatting to Alex Tilley at Sölden and I felt really sorry for her and Charlie Guest. They really are struggling from hand to mouth to compete but the odds are heavily stacked against them. In the meantime a fair few "officials" seem to be able to attend events with impunity, even if there are no competitors. The Austrian and German commentators are always very complimentary about what all the British racers achieve DESPITE the best efforts of their federation to waste precious resources on jollies.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't know much about the case but sounds like the whole qualification event was a complete balls up and not necessarily her fault. If her competing isn't affecting other, more talented (but less well funded) individuals then I don't see the harm. It doesn't really devalue the term Olympian either imo, those that are competing for a top 10 position or medal clearly have fantastic ability and we all know that those who finish 67th probably aren't the creme de la creme. Besides which the stories of those that try are the best ones, think of Eric the Eel, Eddie the Eagle or the Jamaican bobsled team (the latter possibly less so as have qualified regularly).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok , thanks for the replies.

Fair to say then that the general opinion of her being fully to blame are wrong and that she worked hard to achieve what she did.
Thats why its great to have forums where people may have a better insight rather than what we read in the media.

Why then the accusations toward her and the general feeling of her being a cheat? Was that just bad/lazy/sensationalist journalism by the AP?

@Samerberg Sue, You share my views on the corporate world in general Smile No doubt if the athletes attain exposure in the media or success then the same people will be falling overthemselves for the photoshoot claiming to be involved from the inception lending support,funding and a general hand up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hawkwind wrote:
Why then the accusations toward her and the general feeling of her being a cheat? Was that just bad/lazy/sensationalist journalism by the AP?

Probably because it 'seemed right'. Well known violinist trying to be a winter Olympian isn't exactly run of the mill, and I think she was only previously a recreational skier, so I guess people assume that she can't get there completely legitimately (after all, plenty of other athletes were working really hard but ended up left back home). Add to that her qualifying in a race Eastern Europe (and quite close to the Games) and I guess that assumption and stereotypes went into overdrive. Who knows, perhaps she was on the fiddle but distanced herself well enough?

As for corporate sport skiing is nothing compared to motorsport. Although all top level drivers are fantastic, it's widely recognised that many retain a job because of the sponsor they bring, while others with less talent are left on the scrapheap. I've long held a belief that the next Fangio/Senna/Schumacher beater is out there doing amateur motorsport and getting 0 chances.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having skiied (slowly) down the Olympiabakke run last week in Kvitfjell, Lillehammer, I have a newfound respect for anyone doing that sort of thing at great speed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with F1 , although they do need a super-licence to compete.
Most come from either the lower formula or dedicated young driver programs.
But if you have a few million spare and the licence then you can buy your way into a seat albeit at the back of the grid (dangerous too)
What annoys me more is the fixing of races and indeed championships so the "right" person wins for the sponsors.
Irvine vs Schumacher
Webber vs Vettel
Rosberg vs Hamilton (1st season , 1st race)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@SnoodyMcFlude,
Quote:

perhaps she was on the fiddle

Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
[They really are struggling from hand to mouth to compete but the odds are heavily stacked against them. In the meantime a fair few "officials" seem to be able to attend events with impunity, even if there are no competitors.

Sounds like the Keynan cycling federation.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hawkwind wrote:
Agree with F1 , although they do need a super-licence to compete.
Most come from either the lower formula or dedicated young driver programs.
But if you have a few million spare and the licence then you can buy your way into a seat albeit at the back of the grid (dangerous too)
What annoys me more is the fixing of races and indeed championships so the "right" person wins for the sponsors.
Irvine vs Schumacher
Webber vs Vettel
Rosberg vs Hamilton (1st season , 1st race)

Even the richest rent-a-seat driver has to qualify, which is a great filter. Also, team orders go back an awful long way in F1. It did make me laugh when all the people with bets on cried a river over the imposition of team orders (no rules were broken) a few seasons back. Never bet on the outcome of a sporting event if you don't fully understand the rules.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy