Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for 14yr old - kids or adult?

Poster: A snowHead
Am just online booking the rental skis for our upcoming trip. Realised my 14 year old lad is the same height now as my wife but still only weighs 50kg. Do I book him Adult skis or Kids?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'd book kids skis, if it's wrong the hire shop won't bat an eyelid to give him an adult pair!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Makes sense
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
besides, if he's a kid he's a kid, what they gonna do!! enjoy your trip.

Go to heaven, Ski like hell Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It can depend on foot size. Jnr has giant feet, size 13 (age 14). At age 10 he was size 10, we were advised to start booking adult skis as they struggle to get a size 10 boot in a kids binding.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I see your point but children are defined by their age not by the size of the monster! what the feck are you feeding him!! at size 13 i'd forget the skis, he'll manage bare foot Shocked Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My two skied quite happily on 150cm kids skis.... That were longer than some of the adult skis in our group.... Girls with modest sized feet at size 5+6 feet though!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My nearly 14 yr old is taller than me so I booked him adult skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@HJD, …there is a difference between adult skis and junior skis at the same length e.g. 150cms - the main difference is flex. We have some adult FIS skis and some junior FIS skis in exactly the same length and by the same manufacturer (Rossignol) - the flex is entirely different, linked to the different weight of the junior and adult (mainly to do with muscle bulk and bone density), also we have a range of Line off piste and park skis in junior and adult, and again, for essentially the same length, the flex is entirely different - much more compliant for the junior ski. There are frequently other differences:

Binding DIN range, adult 3-10, which means kids are often right at the bottom of the adjustment where the DIN is not that precise - junior typically are 1-5 or 2-7, which means better accuracy
Weight of bindings, huge difference in Salomon and Rossignol bindings - e.g. z7 versus c205 - lighter is much better for juniors
Sometimes overall widths are less, but radius is shorter - kids can have narrower ski waists and still get flotation - narrower means better edge to edge transfer

All in all - a huge difference between adult and junior ski performance, and I would book junior skis of the right length.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. Much appreciated.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was chewing over a similar question - though my son has just turned 17 and is 6ft with size11 feet - same as me but 15-20kg lighter
Both Intersport and Sport2000 list teen packs as suitable 14-17 yrs - at around half the cost of the adult offer.
His size for age does not seem uncommon at the school gate so I guess the hire shops will sort him out with something suitable even if they have to reach in to the adult stock.
at 14 i certainly wouldn't consider the extra cost of adult skis for mine
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick resurrection of thread.

My daughter has some Voekl Chica Jr skis 140cm.

She has Marker 7.0 binding on them...the question is can she use my wifes Ski boots now size 23.5 Mondo or will she have to stick with Junior boots? she is 14 nearly 15.

Thanks guys
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My son skied last season in his Mum's old boots he was 13/average height/below average weight.
Unless your wife is much heavier and/or skis in stiff race boots, I'd say she should be fine.
The only issue with the boots is whether the bindings have enough adjustment range to take the sole length but you can check that yourself.
Beyond that, I'd guess those skis are getting a bit too short and soft for your daughter now? My son was on 162cm last season, his 11 year old sister was on 140
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@glisser, see my response over on your other posting of this topic...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh and I defer to @valais2, on the binding compatibility issue, my son's skis had adult bindings on them

but the more I think about it, the more I think she will have outgrown those skis by now
latest report
My son who is 14 and same height as me (but lighter than me) were originally given a pair of kids' skis which are the same length as my skis. He didn't like them and we took them back to the rental shop to swap for something else. He ended up with a pair of youth skis but were warned about how they were harder to control etc. So it's not just about the length, when it comes to kids vs youth vs adult ski. He had no problem with the youth skis and really enjoyed skiing on them. I think the main difference was that he was able to edge and carve better with the better youth skis (and they look cooler as well). Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy