Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Leogang/Saalbach experts

Poster: A snowHead
Having asked in an earlier thread for suggestions for day trips out of Maria Alm, I am now totally sold on Leogamg/Saalbach/Hinterglemm for 2 x day trips and need some advice on the best way to "do" them

First trip I will drive to and park at Leogang by the Asitzbahn cable car station.Looking at the piste map and reading about the circuits, how much of a trek is it to get from the bottom of Kohlmaiskopf via 51/53/54 over to Schattberg X Press to go up Schattberg Ost? Plan would then be to come down 2a/b into Vorderglemm and back up into Wildenkarkogel, play around there, then back down to Leogang. I like a little Gluwein stop now and again, and I would stop for a relaxing lunch too ( I should add I will have 3 moaning teenagers with me too)

Second one will either be park at Leogang again, ski into Saalbach then up Berkogel to circuit Hinterglemm or drive to Saalbach to do Bernkogel etc. (I was advised in the other thread that this probably wasn't required)
Again, how much of a trek is it to cross over onto Zwolferkogel/Schattberg side?

Recommended pistes and eateries/drinkeries would not go amiss either

Thanks for any help
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What ever you do stop at the Reiteralm for a great lunch, i think it's off Red 32
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gazzaredcruiser, is that the one with brewery in it? oh god the ham hocks in there are amazing...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@robandliza, you could park at the Schonleiteinbarn at Vorderglemm for free which is in the middle giving easy access to the Asitz and the ability to get the Schattberg's easily. Though I'd probably recommend parking at Schattberg XPress and doing the Apres (one of you being sober to drive back) - I did this last week it was very fun especially for my better half who enjoyed it more than me!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
What ever you do stop at the Reiteralm for a great lunch, i think it's off Red 32

Note made. Red 34 by the looks. Thank you
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AthersT wrote:
@robandliza, you could park at the Schonleiteinbarn at Vorderglemm for free which is in the middle giving easy access to the Asitz and the ability to get the Schattberg's easily. Though I'd probably recommend parking at Schattberg XPress and doing the Apres (one of you being sober to drive back) - I did this last week it was very fun especially for my better half who enjoyed it more than me!

Sounds right up my street but might wait till the kids are older than 15! So one of them can drive back obviously!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it my bad reading or do a lot of the runs seem to end NOT near a lift back up? So care needs to be taken which ones you take. 39a and 34a , for example seem to finish in the middle of Saalbach and Hinterglemm
How easy is it to finish at the bottom of these and then get back up?

Also, really interested to know how easy it is to pop over to Schattberg Xpress from the other side having come down 46,51 or 54. It looks a bit of a walk from the map
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robandliza, 51/53/54 are all currently closed, but you can take 52 all the way to the bottom. From there, walk down by the church into the village square and turn left, then right over the little bridge and immediately left down a small alley to the Schattberg Xpress - takes only a couple of minutes. Piste 2b is currently closed, but you can come down black piste 1 (or take the gondola down) and take the ski bus to the Schoenleitenbahn to get back to the Wildenkarkogel.
The best place for lunch (make it a late one) would be the Alte Schmiede or the Asitzbrau (the one @Nadenoodlee, is talking about) at Leogang. If you want to eat or stop for a drink earlier, make it the Bergeralm on piste 66 down to Saalbach (bacon and eggs highly recommended).

For your second trip, ski down 52 as far as the nursery slopes in Saalbach, then bear right in the direction of the Bernkogel. There is a piste down to the main village street, or lifts that take you down. Once up the Bernkogel, ski as far as Hochalm (the Sonnhof is nice for lunch), then down into the valley and up the other side using the Zwoelfer Nordbahn. Then down the Zwoelferkogel (Hintermaisalm also good for lunch), and bear right to take the Westgipfelbahn up Schattberg West, then over to Schattberg East and take piste 4 down to the Limberglift. Assuming that piste 2b remains closed, you then have the same two options as mentioned above to get back to the Schoenleitenbahn and up to the Wildenkarkogel.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Is it my bad reading or do a lot of the runs seem to end NOT near a lift back up? So care needs to be taken which ones you take. 39a and 34a , for example seem to finish in the middle of Saalbach and Hinterglemm
How easy is it to finish at the bottom of these and then get back up?
Also, really interested to know how easy it is to pop over to Schattberg Xpress from the other side having come down 46,51 or 54. It looks a bit of a walk from the map

No, only a few runs leave you in the middle of nowhere - piste 34a being a prime example - useful (when it's open) for those who are living halfway between Saalbach and Hinterglemm but no one else. 39a is also a closed run that is seldom used. The main pistes down to the valley are open, with the exception of 32a to the bottom of the Reiterkogelbahn, last time I looked.
If you make a mistake you can also hop on a ski bus, so all is not lost.
Coming down 52 from the Kohlmais, or 46 from the Bernkogel, it's only a couple of minutes walk down through the village to the Schattberg Xpress.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats the one! Too many long lunches spent there on the terrace with a race to get last lifts back across to Saalbach
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
for lunch at the reiteralm, ski 34a about half way down there a right hand turn off, which is a short cut through the restaurant. it's on a blue run, so you don't have to ski the rest of 34a.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all

Exactly what I needed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
enjoy, i skied it in 2013 and i will definitely return. Try the Goat Stall for a good apres vibe on the south side or on the north side try Der Schwarzacher right by the drag lift on the nursery slope, fantastic fun 4.30 to 7ish, your kids will love it!!! (if teenagers) Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Gazza but looks like they will be out as the car will be in Leogang. Any good apres bars there you can recommend(that I can take teenagers to)?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robandliza, you can take teenagers to nearly every apres bar in Austria - it's very normal to see all generations enjoying some flaming shots - well maybe soft drinks for the u-16's (or not in some cases), dancing and singing.
ski holidays
Quote:

you can take teenagers to nearly every apres bar in Austria - it's very normal to see all generations enjoying some flaming shots - well maybe soft drinks for the u-16's (or not in some cases), dancing and singing.

It's normal to see families with young children enjoying the party atmosphere in places like the Hinterhag Alm, the Goassstall and Bauers Schialm.
The only apres-ski place I know down in Leogang is the Kralleralm, but I last went there in about 1990!
snow report
Sorry not apres'd in Leogang, too far from Hinterglemm for me to get back after a few Shocked
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

you can take teenagers to nearly every apres bar in Austria - it's very normal to see all generations enjoying some flaming shots - well maybe soft drinks for the u-16's (or not in some cases), dancing and singing.

It's normal to see families with young children enjoying the party atmosphere in places like the Hinterhag Alm, the Goassstall and Bauers Schialm.
The only apres-ski place I know down in Leogang is the Kralleralm, but I last went there in about 1990!

So that's how you know so much about the place. Lucky for us though Smile
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@robandliza, 51/53/54 are all currently closed, but you can take 52 all the way to the bottom. From there, walk down by the church into the village square and turn left, then right over the little bridge and immediately left down a small alley to the Schattberg Xpress - takes only a couple of minutes. Piste 2b is currently closed, but you can come down black piste 1 (or take the gondola down) and take the ski bus to the Schoenleitenbahn to get back to the Wildenkarkogel.
The best place for lunch (make it a late one) would be the Alte Schmiede or the Asitzbrau (the one @Nadenoodlee, is talking about) at Leogang. If you want to eat or stop for a drink earlier, make it the Bergeralm on piste 66 down to Saalbach (bacon and eggs highly recommended).

For your second trip, ski down 52 as far as the nursery slopes in Saalbach, then bear right in the direction of the Bernkogel. There is a piste down to the main village street, or lifts that take you down. Once up the Bernkogel, ski as far as Hochalm (the Sonnhof is nice for lunch), then down into the valley and up the other side using the Zwoelfer Nordbahn. Then down the Zwoelferkogel (Hintermaisalm also good for lunch), and bear right to take the Westgipfelbahn up Schattberg West, then over to Schattberg East and take piste 4 down to the Limberglift. Assuming that piste 2b remains closed, you then have the same two options as mentioned above to get back to the Schoenleitenbahn and up to the Wildenkarkogel.

Last couple of things, Richard (for now anyway!)
If 2b remains closed ( but I'm hoping the current and forecasted snow opens up ALL runs everywhere soon) is it possible to ski back from Kohlmaiskopf to Widenkarkogel via Prundkopf, so catch Kohlmaisgipfelbahn up rather than wait for a bus to go up Schoenleitenbahn?

For trip 2, due to time and fueling stops,would you suggest leaving the car at Saalbach rather than Leogang ?

Thanks a million again for all the advice. It will save loads of time when I eventually get there
ski holidays
2b is still closed, but it's looking increasingly likely that it will open soon - I was looking over at it today, and I saw some skiers actually coming down it.
However, to answer your question, the short way to get back to the Wildenkarkogel from the Schattberg side of the valley is to take the ski bus (every 20 mins) to the Schoenleitenbahn. The longer way is to walk up through Saalbach village to the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn (allow 10 - 15mins - it's a gentle uphill walk with one steepish bit by the church), and then ski from the Kohlmaiskopf down piste 56 to the Magic 6er chair lift, then, from the top of that, ski down piste 65 to the Schoenleitenbahn mid-station and take the gondola or the Schoenleiten 6er chair lift (immediately behind the cable-car mid-station) up to the Wildenkarkogel.
Although it's certainly do-able from Leogang (it takes about 4 hours including a break for lunch, and skiing at a leisurely pace, to do a complete circuit of the valley), you might consider taking your car to the Schoenleitenbahn, where there is ample free parking. That would take the pressure off, and you could sample the famed Saalbach apres-ski (e.g. the Hinterhag Alm), before taking a taxi down to the Schoenleitenbahn.
snow conditions
That's great Richard

Thank you very much for all your help and advice
ski holidays
Re-opening this thread in the hope of some more advice from Tatman's Tours as the plan has been revised a little with the addition of Mrs Taff joining us for our 2 days out. She is a nervous skier so will look mainly at blues and I'd like to know if you think these plans are do-able, taking into account we like to "refresh" quite regularly with a cup of gluwein and we don't like to rush lunch

Trip 1, next Tuesday. Dive and park up in Leogang and catch the Asitzbahn up.Blue 87 down to Asitzgipfelbahn, 87/85 down to Sportbahn 2000( can I go straight here from Asitzbahn?), 63/64 to Schonleitem 6er and up to Wildenkarkogel. Blue 65 and 66 to Panorama 6er and up Kohlmaiskopf then 52 down into Saalbach. Hop over the road to Schattberg Express. Down 2a or 4 then 2b down to Vorderglemm( have I got time to go up Limberg Sesselift and back down again?). Over the road to Schonleitenbahn then work our way back to Leogang by the time lifts close at 4.30ish

Trip 2 , probably next Thursday. Drive to Saalbach and catch the Bernkogelbahn up.I know Tatman has already suggested the following but now that all pistes are open I wanted to see if there is something that could be added. Over to Hochalm and down to the valley (which piste please?), up Zwoelfer Nordbahn, down 11 then up Westgipfelbahn. Blue 7 over to Schattberg Ost, then 2a and b down to Vorderglemm again. Up Schonleitenbahn and over again to finish in Saalbach. Considering I will have parked at Bernkogelbahn, which piste(s) should I catch down

You will all now have deduced I have serious OCD issues but wanted to be sure it was possible to do in a day with pit stops

Thanks for any help

Rob
snow report
@robandliza, Both of these are possible to do in a day, but you're in danger of making the classic error of chasing around on the busy motorway pistes and missing out on the interesting places in the Ski Circus.

Trip 1. Drive and park up in Leogang and catch the Asitzbahn up. Blue 87 down to Asitzgipfelbahn, Here you should continue down Blue 92 under the Steinbergbahn as far as the mid-station; a nice blue through the trees to warm up on. Back up on the Steinbergbahn, then 87/87a to the Asitzgipfelbahn. (Not 87/85 - 83 is less steep!) 83 down to Sportbahn 2000( can I go straight here from Asitzbahn? No). 63/64 (Keep on 63 - turn left opposite the Seidl Alm for an empty, easy run then join 64 at the bottom of the Polten lift) to Schonleiten 6er and up to Wildenkarkogel. Blue 66 (not 65) to Panorama 6er and up Kohlmaiskopf then 52 down into Saalbach. Or - from Wildenkarkogel, 66 to the big crossroads just below the top of the Magic 6, turn left down 57, which carries straight on where 65 turns left. 57 to bottom of Magic 6; at the top of Magic 6er turn left for a fun red 59 or right and follow 66. Both meet at the Berger Hochalm crossroads. 66 from there to the Panorama 6er, where you can take your ride up and then down 52, or continue down 52 (or 51 which is better and less busy) to Saalbach. Hop (well, walk 200m down) over the road to Schattberg Express. Down 2a or 4 then 2b down to Vorderglemm( have I got time to go up Limberg Sesselift and back down again - maybe!). (Over the road - no need, the piste ends at the lift station) Schonleitenbahn then work our way back to Leogang by the time lifts close at 4.30ish

Trip 2 , probably next Thursday. Drive to Saalbach and catch the Bernkogelbahn up. I know Tatman has already suggested the following but now that all pistes are open I wanted to see if there is something that could be added. Over to Hochalm and down to the valley (which piste please? 22a), up Zwoelfer Nordbahn, down 11 then up Westgipfelbahn. Blue 7 over to Schattberg Ost, then 2a and b down to Vorderglemm again. Up Schonleitenbahn and over again to finish in Saalbach. Considering I will have parked at Bernkogelbahn, which piste(s) should I catch down.

The parking for Bernkogel is in the tunnel (really) in Saalbach. As you enter Saalbach, turn right at the BP garage and into the tunnel. So - up the Bernkogel gondola and then the new chair. At the top of the chair, turn left ( i.e back on yourself) and warm up on the gentle blue 46 as far as the wooden hut on the right of the piste - about 100m down. There you'll see blue 47, which takes you to the Reiter Ost lift. This misses out the steep red 48, which is always busy and icy. Up Reiter Ost. Turn right at the top and take either red 35 or blue 34 to where these meet, then either 34 and the skiweg (on your right just before the Sunliner chair crosses above the piste) or 35 to the bottom of Hassenauer 8er. Up this lift, then left and 28 towards the Rosswaldhutte. Look out for the fun snow trail on your right about 50m below the top of the Rosswald chairlift. On to Hochalm. At Hochalm, take the Hochalm 6er up and turn left for a good red 23 then 24 (which I had all to myself today) or turn right and follow blue 25 back towards the top of the Hochalmbahn gondola. Follow 22a under the gondola all the way down to the valley, keeping left for the Zwolfer-Nordbahn. At the top of Zwolfer, keep right and head for the top of the Zehnerbahn, taking 17/18 rather than the motorway that is blue 11. Where these meet (17 and 11), turn off right at the sign and follow 17 down to the Ellmaualm. Good spot for lunch in the sun. Back up Zehnerbahn 6er, then 17/18 as before, carrying straight on at the sign this time on 11 and then 11a down to Hinterglemm. Turn right at the Xandlstadl to get to the Westgipfelbahn. Up Westgipfel and blue 7 to Schattberg Ost, then 4 down to Limberg 4er. From there, your choice is back up to Schattberg Ost, have a beer in the Sky Rest and call it a day, riding down on the gondola rather than attempting the red/black down Schattberg. Alternatively, carry on down 2b to Jausern and then back up the Schonleitenbahn to Wildenkarhutte, then 66/52 back to Saalbach. Or a free bus from Schonleitenbahn to Saalbach.
ski holidays
Which one these trips would you recommend @quinton ? Me and my mate are staying in Kitz, arriving on Sunday, and was planning on driving to Feiberbrunn on Wednesday to take the TirolS over to the SkiCircus. We have never skied there before so want to get as much covered as we can, without purely charging just to cover the ground. We will also be looking for a decent Grostl in a hut for lunch. The plan is to get the first lift from Feiberbrunn and leave as late as we can before getting back. Any ideas? Thanks for any input.
snow report
@Dougie, As you're starting from Fieberbrunn, Trip 2. The TirolS and Reiter Ost lifts meet at the top, so pick up the tour above from the fourth line. When you return to Saalbach, ski back on 52 and when you reach the Turm lift in the village, keep right for the elevator down to street level opposite the Bernkogel lift. Then it is up the Bernkogel gondola and then the chair lift, straight on to the red 48 to Reiter Ost, up this lift, left at the top and down about 50m to the piste back to Fieberbrunn. You need to be here by 15.00 in order to make it back to Fieberbrunn.

Groestl available everywhere - on a sunny day, it's hard to beat the Ellmaualm for location and view, and the food is good too.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 9-02-16 9:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Will you be taking a clipboard and a stopwatch? wink
latest report
Mrs TT accused me of being a walking, talking piste map the other day - I shall show her this! Smile
snow report
Thanks @quinton
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@quinton, That is absolutely perfect. Thank you very much. Tatman, you're fired ! Very Happy
ski holidays
IanTr wrote:
Will you be taking a clipboard and a stopwatch? wink

And whistle! The one I was bought as a present from one of the group of a boys trip I organised a few years ago. Apparently I was somewhat officious. Don't see it myself Confused
Smile
ski holidays
@quinton, One last one please. The piste map I have been looking at online didn't have blue 92 on it( I've now found one that does have it). Would I be better off parking at the bottom of Steinbergbahn rather than Asitzbahn and finishing the day with blue 92?.
The reason I chose Asitzbahn was because I didn't think I would be able to ski back to Steinbergbahn and, therefore, away from the car.
I aim to be parking just before 9am,what are the respective queues like at that time of morning (although with 3 teenage boys in tow this is subject to change!)?

Thanks again
ski holidays
@robandliza, No idea about possible queues, but that new piste down to the bottom of the Steinbergbahn is superb - at least it was when I did it a week or two ago, and hopefully will be later today - just about to ski over there. (Having said that the pistes down to the bottom of the Asitzbahn are also very enjoyable, so I wouldn't have thought that it makes a lot of difference).
ski holidays
@robandliza, I've no idea about queues or parking in Leogang, but next week you should be able to ski down to both valley stations. There is always the option to download on the gondola if the pistes, or tired legs, are not in the best condition.
snow conditions
Thanks gents
latest report
Just a quick one to say thank you to Tatman and Quinton for their help in making our away day at Leogang/Saalbach last week so enjoyable and easy. We only did the one trip over so Hinterglemm will have to wait for another time

Rob
ski holidays
@robandliza, You're welcome - glad you enjoyed your day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy