Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap transfers to Courmayeur

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hoping to go to courmayeur as never been but just trying to price it all up and cant seem to find any reasonably priced transfers from geneva so am tempted to hire a car but how much would it cost in tolls and mont blonc tunnel from geneva airport or would it be cheaper to fly to turin and hire a car from turin. Cheers Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
why Courmayeur?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Geneva-Chamonix tolls are not a lot, approx 5 euro, the tunnel is not cheap 54 euro return but the return must be used within 7 days. If you are just skiing in Courmayeur a car in resort is not much use, if you want to explore the valley then it could be useful. Geneva-Courmayeur is all motorway and very easy to drive.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used Easybus from Geneva to Chamonix then Savda public transport through the tunnel to Courmayeur. This has been fine, and is probably your cheapest option unless you are a group, but you need to make sure the bus timings work for you (obviously!).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

why Courmayeur?

Why not? And I don't mean that in a narky way... I'm thinking about Italy with the family next year, and have only been to Courmayeur, so would be grateful for any wisdom as to where might be a good shout. Looking for something driveable from the UK, if poss? Would Champoluc fit the bill better than Courmayeur for a family trip? I have no real knowledge of it...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rainman, I have been to Courmayeur for a day's trip and thoroguhly enjoyed it last April. Heading to Champoluc in two weeks for a full week of skiing, so would be able to update you later on how both compares. But either would be fun for a family, depending of course on the needs of your family. And if you have a car, day's trip to/from one to another is an easy option. It should not be longer than 1h20min drive between the two, so doable for a day or two if like to change the scenary
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mooney058, thanks very much - enjoy the trip and I look forward to hearing how it goes! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rainman, my question was only why there specifically? Without a hire car it's the furthest away from Milan/Turin (although not time or kms wise with a car) and I can think of easier places to get to.

It's also not the biggest of ski areas. But it is a very nice town. And is nice skiing. And some totally awesome "mountain dining" as the cousins would say. And some great off piste in the right conditions.

One could argue that Champoluc might be a little easier as the Courmayeur cablecar is not very well located for the town, nor is the Dollon bubble. But that's splitting hairs. Either are (well, it's Italy right?) pretty family friendly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, sorry, as the OP was asking re transfers from Geneva, I thought there was a 'ignore Courmayeur - Champoluc's loads better' reason. I would really like to try Italy with the family, but am often put off by the getting in the cable car business everyday. And am intrigued whether any Italian skiing is truly driveable from the UK. Anyway, I'll stop hijacking this thread and perhaps cast around for some Italy recommendations. Cheers!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rainman, you haven't noticed that thread hijacking is the best bit?

e.g. Champoluc is about 1-2 hours further from e.g. Central London than Chamonix. The other half and her family used to do it regularly. No worries.

You don't need a cable car everywhere, but (obviously) you do need a lift at some point.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I'll carry on then! I was thinking more about the cable car as a start and finish point for the day - herding three kids and the wife around. I'm not fussed about ski to door, but do like ski to village, if you see what I mean?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rainman wrote:
@mooney058, thanks very much - enjoy the trip and I look forward to hearing how it goes! snowHead

Well, I am back and feel sorry ... to be back Smile As a quick comparison - Champoluc and the whole Monterosa Ski has more to offer in terms of skiing than Courmayeur. I'm used to FR luxury of ski-in/ski-out, but stayed in a hotel 500 m from the lifts, but a short transfer was always arranged by the hotel, so not so bad in the end. In terms of slopes, I liked Gressoney side most, Champoluc and Alagna were OK too. My week started with a strong wind and I heard from people who stayed a week before that all the links to neigbouring valleys were closed because of wind. I got stuck on a chairlift when wind picked-up and it was not funny ... but when the links are open and with blue skies, it is a very enjoyable place for a week. It did not become repetitive, certainly more than enough to keep you entertained for a week and the highlight were locals and IT food Smile

The other difference between Courmaeyer and Champlopuc is that the former is a reall small city in an open place, while Champoluc is much smaller and squezeed in between two rock walls in a narrow valley. But I stayed in a briliant hotel with fab food and very nice staff, so I did not even venture outside after sauna in the evening ... dinners were sublime, bar area very cool, so stayed in a hotel after dark and did not regret it at all.

If I only had Champoluc to ski because of high winds, I would then say that Courmayer and Champoluc are more or less equal in terms of skiing challenges and enjoyment. If the whole area is available, then MonterosaSki has more to offer.

I aslo was very happy with my ski rental solution at Tako (thanks @under a new name!) best service and advice so far.

Would I go back - I would, maybe not next year, but if they would have good snow, certainly wood and would rent appropriate skis!

Btw, coffee for 1 EUR on a mountain? I do not see such prices in the place I live in. Also if you go, Frantze and Jolanda is a must for a lunch!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want door to
Door skiing in Italy try the sella Ronda. There are good price transfers from Venice. And a huge area to explore. Snowheads are there now on the pre and birthday bash.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy