Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day Trip from Maria Alm suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for suggestions for good places to ski outside of the Maria Alm/Hochkonig area during our visit in Feb half term

Having been to Maria Alm for the last 10 years I only found out last year that my ski pass gave me access to the whole Ski Amade area and that for Eur15 more for the week you can get the whole of the Salzburgerland area. Hasn't affected our enjoyment but still,dumb or what!

Anyway, this year ,especially given current conditions, I am going to get the Super Ski Card and get out and about on 2 maybe 3 days, depending on local conditions.

As I say, we will be in Maria Alm and I will have a car although I don't want to spend too long in getting somewhere ( the getting back is not so much of an issue)...I'm thinking 45 mins top? Now, I will have 3 teenage boys in tow, so super early starts are probably out of the question but I would hope to be on the road by 9 am as there'll be no ski boot kitting up involved.
I would bracket us as advanced intermediates but with a preference for long reds and a dislike of moguls, although both my boys and ,I assume their friend, love the ski parks and would happily spend the week in the King's Park between Muhlbach and Dienten

I'm thinking 1 day at Kaprun/Zell and another at St Johann/Alpendorf but I am open to all suggestions especially if you think these two will be extremely busy during half term
Also, advice on where to park and recommended eateries would also be welcome

Whilst I will be skiing with the boys my wife will probably stay in Maria Alm either cross country skiing or snow shoeing but if there are some particularly interesting/pretty places recommended then I'm sure she'd love to come along too

Thanks to all in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Fieberbrunn? Drive to Saalfelden on the 164. Go straight over at the roundabout, staying on the 164 until you reach Leogang. Use the lifts there to access the whole S-H-F area. There is parking at the Asitz valley station. Looks like they have plenty of cross-country trails from Leogang for you wife. Check out their webiste at http://www.saalfelden-leogang.com/en/
A very easy day out and closer that driving to Zell/Kaprun.

I would love to try the Hochkonig one day - any recommendations as to where to stay? Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above, Leogang is really near and opens up the whole Saalbach-Fieberbrunn area.

Slightly further afield you have Zell am See, Lofer, Kitzbuhel, St Johann/Alpendorf/Wagrain, and I think the Gasteins would probably be accessible too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@FionaG has the best idea if you are getting the Salzburg Super Ski Pass.
Popping down to Alpendorf shouldn't take too long and the Alpendorf/Wagrain area is a great place to ski but can get very, very busy at half-term.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kaprun-Kitzsteinhorn glacier for a completely different experience.
Only on a clear day!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FionaG wrote:
What about Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Fieberbrunn? Drive to Saalfelden on the 164. Go straight over at the roundabout, staying on the 164 until you reach Leogang. Use the lifts there to access the whole S-H-F area. There is parking at the Asitz valley station. Looks like they have plenty of cross-country trails from Leogang for you wife. Check out their webiste at http://www.saalfelden-leogang.com/en/
A very easy day out and closer that driving to Zell/Kaprun.

I would love to try the Hochkonig one day - any recommendations as to where to stay? Little Angel

Thank you Fiona that looks ideal

We have always stayed in the Alpenland Sporthotel in Maria Alm, although it is a little "tired" now it does tick all our boxes. We usually eat just along the road in the Thalerhof ( steak on hot stone.....unbelievable) and that seems very nice. I would leave it to other to recommend a hotel but Maria Alm is lovely
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Say I was to do 2 trips to this area, would you suggest that 1 day I drive to Leogang and then drive to Saalbach the other day just to get as much of the area in as possible? I'm thinking we'd struggle to get to Hinterglemm and back to Leogang in a day? For the extra 15 mins or so in the car would it be better to base at Leogang one day then Saalbach/Hinterglemm the next?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We stayed in Hinterglemm last season and easily did Hinterglemm-Leogang and back on a slow low viz day, so it should be possible to do the reverse. Two days in the area wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't think you need not start in Leogang. One day head in the head up over to Saalbach and up the Schattberg for a loop, the other day head over to Saalbach then up the Bernkogel for a loop.

Would be worth making sure you get an early start though.

It's up to you though, there's about 15 mins driving difference between getting to Leogang and getting to Saalbach.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hammerite wrote:
We stayed in Hinterglemm last season and easily did Hinterglemm-Leogang and back on a slow low viz day, so it should be possible to do the reverse. Two days in the area wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't think you need not start in Leogang. One day head in the head up over to Saalbach and up the Schattberg for a loop, the other day head over to Saalbach then up the Bernkogel for a loop.

Would be worth making sure you get an early start though.

It's up to you though, there's about 15 mins driving difference between getting to Leogang and getting to Saalbach.

Great thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy