Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone else got a large collection of piste maps?

Poster: A snowHead
Having a bit of a New Year clear out and I've come across a collection of tired looking dog eared pistes maps from over the years. My first reaction was, of course, to hide them, before Mrs Phillips2000 decided that the should go to the tip with all her junk thats going. There's such a variation in quality. Whatever happened to arrows to show you which direction you would be travelling? Altitudes of each lift to give us geeks numbers to crunch, I think my all time favourite was La Plagne circa 1995. Thick piste lines with directions - lifts vertical figures and length given, a nice logo and pictures of the apartment blocks too. Lovely artwork of the mountain. Never really liked the resort that much, depiste going back. Must have been my love affair with the pist map

Does anyone else have such a collection? Many of mine we in various hidden pockets of old ski jackets.
Does anybody else have an all time top 5 piste maps......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sadly yes. I have over 200 from places I've been to and another 50 odd from places I haven't (ski show hand-outs). I didn't know I was a train spotter until the present Mrs SL pointed it out based on the fact I not only collected them but also had a spare with the runs I had skied marked off!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm getting quite a big collection of lift passes Embarassed

I managed to return 2 to Seefeld this Christmas but seem to have acquired 2 from Stubai to replace them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I have a collection in a file rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Linds wrote:
Yes I have a collection in a file rolling eyes Laughing

Now that is worrying. At least mine are in a pile.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like to keep my junk tidy rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ski lots, very impressive!

I've a few from places I have been but not particularly organised.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got them all - somewhere. Nice history and together with my wall montage of most of my lift passes a nice reminder.

I am aware that some people find this sad - but I do not iron my socks - honest wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I keep all my piste maps too (in a pile wink) - including different years of the same resort. Partly because I'm a maps geek, but certainly partly because my memory is awful and I like to maintain the history, and mainly because I find it interesting to see how resorts change over time. When you find the there used to be a lift/piste that's no longer there, it can often open up some new off-piste ideas (after giving consideration to the question of why they closed it in the first place, of course!).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 5-01-16 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I keep mine too. I have a couple of boxes full of maps of various sorts, not organised, but there to have a rifle through if needed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a draw full of old piste maps and lift passes and as@Pyremaniac, says it's nice to be able to see the changes over the years.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a small collection in a file that I get out and peruse now and again. The best thing in my file though is a map of France including parts of Switzerland and Italy which shows all the main ski resorts. The OH regularly catches me poring over it Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I keep all my piste maps, they're good things to collect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it's nice to keep them, no particular reason but they don't take up much space and kick off happy memories when you look at them.

Mine are just in boxes, no real order.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The recycling bin got most of mine in the end.
Most were ones that I'd refolded to hide all the adverts and show the main bit of map when you take it out of your pocket. Plus the paper they use is getting thinner and thinner, so they're basically destroyed after 8 days skiing.
Thought the bin was the best place for them.
snow conditions
Got most of donkeys years' worth - in a plastic storage box in the spare room, with a fair few resort brochures, other maps etc.

Most in good nick as I invariably get one to use during the trip and at least one to keep in mint condition Laughing. Where I've ended up with a few from multi visits (3Vs, Espace Killy, Ischgl etc) I've sometimes taken some to Nth America to show (or hand out if they are particularly keen) to locals we've met - the scale of the Euro mega areas never ceases to amaze them.
ski holidays
Ours are in a box. I've always had half a mind to try wallpaper paste to fix them to a wall in a sorta montage. Not sure whether the print would bleed through from the rear side though.
ski holidays
I just did an ebay search to see it anybody was selling/trading them. There was nothing. I did find this though. I think it's the most dog earred book on my bookshelf.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Good-Skiing-Guide-Which-Guides-Paperback-Book-/391260948145?hash=item5b18f846b1:g:55sAAOSwHnFVzKOc
snow conditions
I have 2 piste maps for each time that I've been away. One is kept pristine; used for detailed planning for the next time that I go to that resort. The second one is marked up to show which pistes I've been on.
snow conditions
Looking thro the old Piste Maps for La Plagne is a great way to see how the resort has developed

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/CollectionPlansPistes.htm
snow conditions
i have a friend with a vast collection of ski passes. He has recently had them all mounted between glass to make a top for a coffee table. Always provides a talking point
latest report
Does everyone here also keep menus of the restaurants they've been to?
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
Does everyone here also keep menus of the restaurants they've been to?
No.
ski holidays
ukredsox wrote:
Looking thro the old Piste Maps for La Plagne is a great way to see how the resort has developed

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/CollectionPlansPistes.htm

Wow. I have a few of them. Always a resort that was gret at marketing. They made Coventry at 1800 metres seems glamorous....
snow report
@halfhand, thank god for that (although the principle is exactly the same). I'll back out of this thread now, don't want to say anything rude.
snow report
Got a box of maps somewhere, most in mint condition as always used to bring at least one home for this. Useful to show friends different resorts they might like.

cameronphillips2000, have 4 of those books somewhere, never bought one yet Smile Earliest dating from '95 IIRC Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Bones wrote:
Got a box of maps somewhere, most in mint condition as always used to bring at least one home for this. Useful to show friends different resorts they might like.

cameronphillips2000, have 4 of those books somewhere, never bought one yet Smile Earliest dating from '95 IIRC Madeye-Smiley

A great book in its time. Replaced, of course, by this forum........
snow report
Anyone got a spare '98 Whistler they'd swap for say a 2001 Serre Chevalier? Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nope, used pistemaps usually get pretty tatty in my pockets and end up in the bin. With all the other bits and pieces of a finished trip.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@halfhand, thank god for that (although the principle is exactly the same). I'll back out of this thread now, don't want to say anything rude.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
We have 30 years worth of ski passes and piste maps in about 10 box files. Still can't quite get rid of them. Great fun showing the kids hole punched ski passes on elastic.
latest report
I was recently looking on-line to see if I could see a piste map of the Grand Massif from years gone by. As regular skier there, I'm really interested to see how it's evolved. I couldn't find anything unfortunately. So, there is a market for old piste maps, even if it is very small (me!)
snow conditions
I tried to find old Meribel piste maps and couldn't. Many of us could scan old maps at work if there was someone who we could e-mail them to (Snow Heads?). Perso La Plagne demonstrates how the old maps show the development of a resort.
snow report
My OH keeps them all, he brings a new unopened one home every year to store with our lift passes, we have a drawer full of them rolling eyes
ski holidays
@meribel46, sounds perfectly normal behaviour to me, although mrsthecramps would agree with you I suspect.
snow report
I've got a pile of them in a cupboard, and I still look at some of them. It's much easier to look at a physical piste map than one online, and it's a nice memento.

I was actually looking at the Val d'Isere one today, just to brush up on a couple of the lifts at the Val glacier end.
ski holidays
I have a massive collection dating back to the late 1970s, along with lift passes. I always take two maps from the lift office; one to use, the other to go into my collection! Very Happy
latest report
I've got a smallish box with a pile of them in, but with the cupboard containing the box now bulging, I am pretty sure they will be heading to a recycling bin near me sometime soon.
latest report
Quote:

I've always had half a mind to try wallpaper paste to fix them to a wall in a sorta montage.

We've done this in the downstairs loo. Bit of a PVA wash holds them up just fine.
snow conditions
The sad thing is that I think piste map days are numbered. Give it 5 years and it will be all digital.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy