Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Please: Mid-Intermediate Ski Choice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - first post. Great to find a place for some help!

I'm looking to buy my first set of skis after always having rentals. I've done quite a lot of research as I've never done this before but there is obviously so much choice. So I really need some help to narrow it down so I can head out and buy some new gear for my next trip in February!

Here's some info to set the stall, to the best I can describe:

- 27 y.o Male
- 171cm - 5ft7inches
- 143ish lbs - 65kg approx.

- Skid for about 3ish years
- Ski mainly in Europe at large resorts: Val Thoren, Les Deux Alps - just booked a trip to Geilo in Norway.
- Mostly ski piste, but do face choppy conditions at larger resorts towards the end of the day that makes me consider the benefit of an All-Mountain ski. Thoughts on this?

- My Technique is no way perfect.
- I need to have lessons to improve carving. I probably skid a little too much when turning and occasionally loose some of my parallel on the steep runs that I struggle to handle.
- When I was a beginner I occasionally crossed skis at the tips in the past causing obvious issues - not in a long time but this does make me worried about getting a longer ski
- I do like a bit of speed, but don't want to be an idiot that is reckless
- I'm a very ambitious intermediate so I want something that will help me push on my ability

- I have custom fitted Solomon XPro 120 boots.

I have very little opportunity to demo so hoping you can really help with your advice.

A selection of skis that I have been looking at are below. Both piste and all-mountain as I'm not sure the way to go:

Piste:
Rossignol Pursuit 700T
Rossignol Hero Master
Salomon X-Drive 8.0 F
Volkl Code Speedwall S UVO
Head i.Supershape Titan
Head Supershape Rally
Fischer WC RC

All-Mountain:
Volkl RTM 81
Rossignol Experiences 80
Dynstar Powertrack 79
Brahma Blizzard
Head Instinct
Fischer Progressors
Fischer Motives
Kastle Mx83
K2's

Anything I have missed, feel free to offer insight.
I may have not got the widths right, please feel free to offer advice in these also.

As I've said, I'm really trying to narrow this down so I can head out and finally get my own skis!

Thanks all in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go for an all mountain ski. It will carve well, and give you more flexibility when venturing onto ungroomed pistes. A ski 160-165cm long would probably suit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hiya, you sound to be at a similar level to me last year. I bought some 2nd hand k2 impacts for a really good price that were longer than I'd used before after recommendations from this forum. At first they felt really wide and cumbersome but after first day I really enjoyed them. The extra width seemed to help with cruddy conditions later in the day. I also found it easier to go faster than I had before with more control. Probably not the best time of year to find any bargains now though?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitty wrote:
Hiya, you sound to be at a similar level to me last year. I bought some 2nd hand k2 impacts for a really good price that were longer than I'd used before after recommendations from this forum. At first they felt really wide and cumbersome but after first day I really enjoyed them. The extra width seemed to help with cruddy conditions later in the day. I also found it easier to go faster than I had before with more control. Probably not the best time of year to find any bargains now though?

Thanks both of you. Really does sound like an all-mountain ski is what I should be looking at.

What width in the K2 did you have?
I'm not too bothered about a bargain (obviously everyone likes to save money) - but I'm more concerned with just getting the best ski for me!

What are you skiing on now?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By coincidence I also bought K2 Impact skis a few years ago. They are 80 mm waist. I am 5'11" and have 174cm ski length. I've been happy with them for the type of skiing you describe.

Last year I bought Line SFB, which are 108mm waist, in 184cm length. But I plan to do a bit more offpiste this year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are not sure what type of skiing you like yet then I would go all mountain, but with a piste bias because that is where you are most of the time. I would avoid the pure piste (Fischer RCs etc), they are great if you find that all you want to do is carve but not much use if you want to venture offpiste and tend to be stiff, you are quite light so a stiff ski could be hard to manage at first.

Similarly the more off piste biased all mountains (e.g. Brahma's) are not so likely to help your piste skiing, they have a wide turn radius and will be harder to learn to carve on.

Something like the RTMs would be my recommend. there are similar skis in all the ranges but they would be low 80s in width, around 16m turn radius. Rocker skis ski shorter than they look so about 160-165 for tip only up to about 170 for tip and tail rocker.

Health warning - ski buying tips by internet are one step below "a bloke in the pub told me". Much better to try them out, ideally in a lesson where an instructor can tell you if they are helping or holding you back. Some shops do a hire/demo for the week with no cost if you buy at the end.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine are also 174 long and 80mm wide. I'm going to saalbach in February on them again, this time with new 100 flex boots that fit right. My old ones were a full shell size too big and only 70 flex! Can't wait to see how the skis feel this time. My brother in law has just got some blizzard brahmas but he is definitely advanced level and does quite a lot of off piste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I liked the speedwalls.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you sound about my standardish, def buy all mountain planks, at least 80mm underfoot, i've just bought a pair of Salomon Q89's off a fellow SH and they should arrive soon Toofy Grin . At your weight and height i'd go for 170's, i'm 93kgs so i've gone slightly longer at 180 but as has already been said with the rockers they will ski shorter, if that makes sense!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Legoboy,

how many weeks a year are you going to be skiing?
Reasons I ask is that, being boring, I think you are probably better renting. You are probably still improving pretty quickly at this stage - what you need now may be wrong in two years plus the sort of skis you are considering are mainstream and easily available to hire. As an ambitious intermediate I think you'd be better investing in more skiing, more lessons or clinics - whatever helps you learn best.
If you are set on buying (I know shiny gear is lovely!) then I'd try before you buy. The length of your short-list means you don't know quite what you want - buying something recommended by someone who hasn't seen you ski doesn't make a lot of sense. Personally I'd do this in resort - go to the best ski shop in the resort, tell them you are going to buy but want to trial a few things then take one or two pairs out each day for 3 days, buy the one you like best and they'll knock the rental cost off the purchase price.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Health warning - ski buying tips by internet are one step below "a bloke in the pub told me". Much better to try them out, ideally in a lesson where an instructor can tell you if they are helping or holding you back. Some shops do a hire/demo for the week with no cost if you buy at the end.

This is completely true.

I keep meaning to buy skis but have just become a serial renter by accident. Skis keep improving, my technique keeps changing (for the better I hope).

The Blizzard Brahma are the closest I have come to actually stumping up cash to buy (and I would have done if they had not sold out in Snow and Rock over the summer). However, I was looking at getting these to push me to improve my technique as much as anything; they were great fun but also really quite stiff skis that felt more than happy to chuck you on your face if you didn't nail your turns properly.

Not quite sure that is what you are looking for..?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brahmas.

My wife always rents skis, she reckons all skis are the same just with different graphics and lots of marketing, all this camber and side cut stuff was just a load of tosh that people used as an excuse for skiing badly.

Last year she rented Brahmas (we had a bit of fresh snow with warm temps offering spring skiing later in the week, so the guy in the shop advised her well IMHO). She loved them, she raved about them and she reckoned they made a big difference to her skiing. She is now even talking about buying a pair...

She may have had the same reaction to other skis, but in the past she's skied well known models (not cheap rental cr@p) and never thought anything of them.

I've skied the slightly fatter version of the Brahma (I forget the name, it's now discontinued but is the same profile as the Bonafide) and I loved those. I'll probably be buying the Bonafides myself.

If you have the slightest interest in doing a bit of off piste I would not hesitate to get these. They are fine on-piste and fat enough to enjoy a bit of soft stuff without being unwieldy on hard pack.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The point about renting is pretty relevent - it's not like the old days where skis were just straight and came in various lengths, you now get to have quite a lot of choice and you can swap them for others if you don't like them.

If you're only skiing one week a year, it really makes the most sense, you don't have to faff around in Geneva for another hour while they decide to offload them (grrrr, everytime!), the extra baggage is about the same as rental, you don't have to pay for servicing and you don't have to worry as much about rocks.

I live in Scotland, usually get 2 weeks abroad and 2-3 week's worth of day skiing around Scotland per year. It makes sense for me to have skis (Scottish rental skis really are poor and the weekend queues appalling at times) - I have all mountain, piste orientated rossi experience 98s which I also take abroad and are absolutely superb on everything bar the most scraped / hardest pistes. On those days, I used to pay for a day's rental of something GS orientated so that I could actually get the edges in and carve properly. Now I take a second pair of piste Nordica Dobermann Spitfire TIs out with me - there's room in the bag for 2 pairs and it costs the same on the plane.

Those Blizzard Bonifides are a cracking all mountain ski if you still decide to get your own pair. I would have got those if they hadn't ran out of stock. My Rossi E98s are very similar, but I think they've discontinued them now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wadgebeast, all true. If only skiing 1 week a year I would say rent as long as you can. If one day you get on a pair that you feel you can't live without, then consider buying. Owning skis is a hassle, servicing is not free (even if you DIY you still need the time and the gear) and apart from Lufthansa/Swiss/Austrian airlines you will have to pay to take them on a flight.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Legoboy,

1. What @wadgebeast, @jedster and @sah said. If you are only skiing 1 or 2 weeks a year your skis will be outdated and (hopefully) out of pace with your ability waaaayyyy before they've work out (~120 days is a reasonable lifespan for kit).

2. Economically that means you'll have them up on eBay for tuppence within a couple of years so you've wasted (lots of) money.

3. Most stations have at least one excellent shop with lots of things to play with and so you can find out what you like and take out the most appropriate kit for a given day.

4. "My Technique is no way perfect" - there's a reasonable chance that you won't even know the difference between them so choose the ones that match your eyes, hair, ski suit, etc. whatever you like.
snow conditions
Quote:

4. "My Technique is no way perfect" - there's a reasonable chance that you won't even know the difference between them so choose the ones that match your eyes, hair, ski suit, etc. whatever you like.

You forgot to mention that red ones go faster. That is why everyone likes the Bonifides so much.
snow report
I own a pair of Head Titans and Blizzard Bonafide's. Both incredible on and off-piste. The Titan's are my everyday All Mountain Ski and will hold an edge on piste as good as any piste ski and provided the powder isn't too deep they perform exceptionally well off-piste and in the bumps!
snow report
As one or two others also say, I'd continue renting for a few more years:

a) your skiing will probably improve and then hit a plateau - if you're happy then, buy.
b) for 1-2 weeks a year, the cost of the skis and carriage will not outweigh the cost of rental
c) you can continue refining exactly what suits you best and enjoy trying new models when they come out
d) if you must buy, try one of the snowHead indoor slope ski tests where there is usually a good choice of skis to try out and make easy comparisons

Each to their own and all that, but I had 20+ weeks under my belt before I had my own skis, and was pretty sure I'd got to a level I was happy with. FWIW, Kneissl Black Star MC at 172. Marketed as multi-condition, but definitely more piste-oriented, though fine in crud, slush, chopped, fresh.

Might be worth adding the Salomon Enduro XT800 to your list - rockered ski that is a decent for some off-piste but great on-piste.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads, orbell18 snowHead
ski holidays
Thank you very much! Cacciatore
ski holidays
Your boots seem a little stiff for your weight/ability . . .?

If you aim to keep your skis for a few seasons (because most years updates are sometimes little more than paintjobs) ignore the knockers and go for it - they will eventually pay for themselves and enable you to truly get to know your kit. Would def try out a few pairs in a fridge on demo days - admittedly they're not an acid test, but you can quickly discard those 110mm wide 'all mountain specials' or slalom shorties that you like the look of but cannot handle. Perhaps create a shortlist, rent and demo the best on your next trip and then look for an internet deal on your return . . .
snow conditions
Buy a ski you can grow into, no point getting a ski that's easy for you to ski on, you wont progress (if that's what you want to do?) The rossi experience range are really good skis, I have the Experience 88's, good all mountain ski, carves well, turns on a dime, its a ski someone of your ability could grow into.
snow conditions
Legoboy wrote:

Rossignol Pursuit 700T
Rossignol Hero Master

I don't know who advised you to get on a pair of Rossignol Hero Masters, but I think they may have been taking the pi55.

I have tried these - and they are heavy, stiff and unforgiving race skis, and likely to give you a horrible time on piste given your (stated) ability levels. As an intermediate, you need something you can manage, and can build confidence on in all terrain: hard piste, choppy piste, end of day bumps, light powder. These skis are not easy to manage - if you sit back, they will spit you off. The rebound energy coming out of their turns is very high, snapping you into another turn and requiring you to be on top of them. They have astounding grip - great for fast carved turns, but not great for the steering required in bumps, and to avoid other people on crowded pistes. And they are heavy sods to boot.

I certainly would not put an improving intermediate on them.

The Rossi Pursuit series are an absolute joy, though. I tried the (aimed at intermediates) Pursuit 300s for an afternoon last week after breaking my trusty Whitedots. Lovely, lovely things - almost bought them there and then. Available online at glisshop for £208 including bindings (I checked). I am an early expert skierm, and I loved these things - conditions were challenging too: hard, swept piste, failing, flat light and lots of hard to see lumps and bumps. I dodn;t want to gove them back.
latest report
Legoboy wrote:
Hi all - first post. Great to find a place for some help!

- 171cm - 5ft7inches

- 143ish lbs - 65kg approx.

- I have custom fitted Solomon XPro 120 boots.

In my opinion those boots are not suitable for a 5'7" 65kg intermediate, but what do I know?

But I agree with Harry Flashman, Rossignol Pursuit skis are very nice and easy to progress on.

FYI - I'm 5'11", 82kg, with Atomic Hawx 100 boots with Sidas PU Transfoam liners which I am told puts the flex up to about 120. I ski so-called expert skis.
snow conditions
. . .I bought some Head Rev 75's specifically for mucking around on indoor slopes, a steal from Glisshop at around £130 notes with some ok Look bindings - theres a new pair (without bindings) on there for £90 at the moment!

There's also a pair of Rossignol Experience 75's for £140, inc bindings - absolute steal. Your stats - 152's/160's should be perfect! For that price you'd be silly not to . . .
latest report
I agree @Belch, the head rev 75 is a nice easy ski - never had any complaints when I've had it on and they were pretty versitile. That said, it didn't get me that excited either! (though I certainly couldn't complain)

From memory the the Rossi Experience were quite a lot more fun for piste stuff (though I think I actually skied on the Zenith 76??). Gave me loads of confidence and were one of the first skis to really make me think hard about what I was strapping to my feet every day.
ski holidays
Agree about the Rossi Hero Masters. It would be my first choice....but it isn't a suitable ski for an intermediate. It has to be skied fast and aggressively or it will feel like having two heavy scaffold poles on your feet.

For a lighter skier I think the Head Supershape Rally would be a good choice. A bit softer than the Titan (which works best for heavier skiers) and it's a good 80/20 piste/off piste ski. Since there has not been that much snow in Scandinavia this year you can expect mainly piste skiing unless we get some big falls. And unless you are coming after Easter it will be pretty solid on piste even in the afternoon.

If you can't carve that well you will develop faster on a piste oriented ski. At least that's my opinion....others will probably disagree.

M
snow report
supershape Rally is a good shout. Tried a 177 last season, and it was a friendly but precise thing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kniessl black stars are a ski you won't grow out of and will be good for you right now. Really dependable go-to ski for anything resembling a piste regardless of conditions.

Otherwise if you want more all mountain whitedot zero ones. I had a pair to play with for a couple of hours last year and they were just epic on piste with enough waist to cope with slushy afternoons or the odd hop between pistes.

At your current level I would be cautious of going too long, could make life a lot harder than it needs to be. Sub 170 definitely at your weight, lots of 167 and similar lengths should be ideal, even with rockered skis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy