Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Pro to iPad download

Poster: A snowHead
Are you able to transfer footage from go pro to iPad and then subsequently transfer to PC for editing? Reason for asking is my 18 year old will it not be coming with us this year and he uses his laptop for transferring the footage over etc. My youngest has a go pro too and I'll be using my 18 year old's. Neither my wife nor I have a laptop but my wife has and iPad. I've got all the editing software on my PC so need a process that will allow me to get all the footage onto the PC. One option could be to borrow a laptop from my work for a week if the iPad option not viable.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 4-01-16 10:03; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know. But why can't you just transfer direct from GoPro to PC? If it's because your 18 year old won't be going anywhere near you PC (e.g at uni or something) then could they not just put a copy in a dropbox or something? That way it would be accessible online to you both to download/edit to your hearts content.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Won't have the PC away on holiday with me (sorry should have added that bit in). Dropbox could work though using the iPad??? Ta
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski wrote:
Won't have the PC away on holiday with me (sorry should have added that bit in). Dropbox could work though using the iPad??? Ta

Can't you just transfer to the PC when you get home? Seeing as you won't be editing it until then anyway I don't understand why it needs to go on to the iPad at all?

If it's just a case of getting a file to your PC then there's a couple of ways. Easiest is probably to take a USB flash drive, that way your 18 year old can transfer it from the GoPro to their laptop and then just put a copy on the USB stick for you Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will probably run out of space on memory card - no? Sorry but I am complete newbie
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just buy a couple of SD cards and do it at home?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aah, I see. Is there also a type in your first post that your son isn't going with you this year? That might be where I've got confused as was assuming you just wanted a way to get the videos from the laptop across to your PC.

Don't know a great deal about GoPros but don't think you can transfer from them to an iPad, suspect it has to be through a laptop/PC or mac. I'd say your best bet would be just to take additional memory cards. Not sure of the size of a standard gopro video but seeing as a feature film in high def is under 5gb I'd have thought that an extra 32gb memory card would get a fair few videos on it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boabski, Maplins sell a Bluetooth SD card reader which you can use to upload the footage to your iPad thereby freeing the SD cards memory. You'll also need a file app for the iPad to keep the files in on your iPad until you get home and transfer to your PC.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can get an iPad adaptor for the SD card - download onto iPad and then upload to a file sharing website (googledrive or drop box for example). You can then download from the file sharing website when you get back. Done it before . . .simples . . . .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
KenX wrote:

Class 10 SD cards are not "that" cheap...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A 64G SD card would last about a week's hard riding/ heavy video using 4k ProTune and costs about £25 if you source it world-wide. So cheaper than iPods or GoPro cameras by some margin, then wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Themasterpiece wrote:
KenX wrote:

Class 10 SD cards are not "that" cheap...

But always useful if you have a few GoPros wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was given a GoPro for Christmas so it's all new to me, doesn't the app allow you to transfer files directly through the wifi?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been using the iPad sd card reader with mine. £25 and a cheap option to view footage at the door of the day. Quick transfer rates too. Just make sure you have enough storage space free.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah just use the app. Connect it via WiFi to your GoPro and you can grab the footage, edit it, export, share on social etc - easy Smile https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/softwareandapp/gopro-app/GoPro-App.html
snow conditions
Thanks folks and sorry for the typo - 18 year old is not coming with us.
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:
You can get an iPad adaptor for the SD card - download onto iPad and then upload to a file sharing website (googledrive or drop box for example). You can then download from the file sharing website when you get back. Done it before . . .simples . . . .

Has anyone actually tried this, In particular at chalet wifi speeds. If you keep at shot resolution you'll still be uploading next year Smile

You can transfer from the gopro to ipad via the App but at much lower resolution.

I have to agree, buy a couple of 64Gb cards before you go, watch via the app while you are away and do your editing when you get home

I have had some success using ADOBE premiere clip on the ipad but that can be slow
latest report
I got a kingston mobile companion (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Companion-Storage-Battery-Charger/dp/B00KU2E9IW?tag=amz07b-21) you can connect a usb hard drive to it and and SD card, then it creates its own wifi connection which you can connect to with your ipad and use their app to move files between the drives. I use an SD card converter to pop the micro sd card from the gopro into the device then either have a usb stick or an external hard drive, and copy all files from the gopro sd to the hard drive using either my iPhone or iPad, then can wipe the micro sd to film some more.

Heres a video showing it in action
http://youtube.com/v/4QCKHTfqDK4

for £25 its an essential bit of kit!
ski holidays
The mobile lite G2 device is also great for putting a few movies on a spare USB stick so the kids can connect to it and watch films on their iPads, I think it allows up to 6 connected devices at any time all watching a different movie! Highly recommended!
latest report
@sev112, you don't have to up load it to a file sharing site if the iPad will has the capacity to store it.

It seemed to work fine on our 5mbps connection. If it's slow do it overnight.
snow report
@boabski, i have been through this and now i only travel with a go pro with 1 32gb card and a western digital my passport wireless hard drive. the hard drive has an sd card slot to download all of the video clips (does it automatically when you insert the sd card), it has its own wifi connection so i can see it on the ipad and the ipad has the western digital app so i can see all the files and play the videos on the ipad. makes it so easy to delete the dross and i can then properly edit everything when i get home. hard drive was about £120 for 1Tb.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy