Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vertical metres. What's average?

Poster: A snowHead
ulmerhutte wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:

The best way to run up high vertical is to use only steep high speed lifts, and to stick to groomed red and black runs. It won't be the best day skiing that you've ever had, though.

Exactly.

I didn't mean to sound snobby with that earlier comment of mine - it was a personal perspective.

Many people love piling on the mileage on groomed runs; ithere's nowt wrong with that and, if you're that kind of person, a high vertical day on a fast lift could actually be the best day skiing that you've ever had. I'm not that kind of person, though - unless I'm tired, I always prefer an ungroomed run to a groomer.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
admin wrote:
If you want a quiet cable car, the one at Alba gives U what, 6 or 700m, never has a queue and the black run back to it is pleasant and always empty. Then it's all about learning to ski the run at the rhythm of the cable car Madeye-Smiley

Be interesting to see if the new gondola out of the other side of Alba up to the Sella Ronda brings lots of new skiers to that area. I guess that's what they're hoping for. It could become very busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gaza, I didn't literally mean that Skitracks doesn't count the ascent. What I meant is that it doesn't include the ascent figure in its headline 'ski vertical' figure. That's just the descent.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my record is 100000ft in 4 days, all completely off piste top to bottom....mind you that was in Canada with CMH and aBell helicopter...and my legs were dropping off at that point and there were still 3 (expensive!) days to go!!!

7000m/day is about average in the Alps for me now, depending on how many pistes have to be endured/crossed to reach the good stuff.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's never occurred to me to calculate vertical descent though I do tend to note vertical climbs, mostly walking rather than skiing. Skiing straight down a piste seems a bit pointless -I find turns give the most pleasure.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@cameronphillips2000, well considering that previously there were about four people there, yes I imagine it will be rather busy by comparison Cool

There might be almost ten.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Gaza, I didn't literally mean that Skitracks doesn't count the ascent. What I meant is that it doesn't include the ascent figure in its headline 'ski vertical' figure. That's just the descent.

Now I'm confused. Puzzled

When we are talking vertical are we only talking about decent or both ascent and decent? I thought it was the former, hence my comment about not being able to do much more than we did. I wasn't actually referring to your post @foxtrotzulu. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a slow blue and red run skier, I average about 3500 to 7000m/day fairly easy paced skiing with slow Norwegian lifts. Hoping that the lifts in Are are faster than some of those in Hemsedal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaza wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Now I'm confused. Puzzled

When we are talking vertical are we only talking about decent or both ascent and decent? I thought it was the former, hence my comment about not being able to do much more than we did. I wasn't actually referring to your post @foxtrotzulu. Toofy Grin

Sorry, I thought you were referring to my post. Just to recap..... The Generalist said that 5,000 was a bit pathetic and that we should be doing 12,000 or so. From subsequent posts it then became clear that he seemed to be counting both ascent and descent. I made the point that when skiing (as opposed to MTB) he should possibly halve his figures to just get the descent figure.

In answer to your question, when standing at the bar bragging about the amount of vertical (or 'vert' as I gather the septics say) we have skied we should just quote the descent.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
About 5000m up and about 5000m down. Though not at once... Up down up down. Not really explaining. Very well. To be honest I don't really know the accurate figures. Twas the West Highland way. Somewhere between 4400 and 5500 from what I could gather.
Was it definitely METRES? (And not feet..) In a day?

If so, that's pretty extreme for mere mortals.

As a general mountain biking rule of thumb, do 1000ft ascent over every 10 miles (eg 20 mile ride with 2000' of climbing) and you'll know you've done a ride. Once did a 250mile Transalp route from Bavaria to Lake Garda that averaged about 50 miles and 5500ft of ascent per day, with 7000ft+ on the toughest day. Some days involved 7 mile climbs of 2.5hrs. A fantastic experience but a very tough week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WHW is about 4000m of ascent (and the same descent) on the walkers version.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheGeneralist wrote:
About 5000m up and about 5000m down. Though not at once... Up down up down. Not really explaining. Very well. To be honest I don't really know the accurate figures. Twas the West Highland way. Somewhere between 4400 and 5500 from what I could gather.

West Highland Way total ascent 5300m in 96 miles. You did nearly 4 Marathons worth in a day?

http://www.virtualwalker.com/guide_westhighlandway/index.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and the award for the man with the largest todger goes to..........

http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/sports/most_vertical_metres_skied_world_record_set_by_Oliver_Kern_101640.htm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
and the award for the man with the largest todger goes to..........

http://www.worldrecordacademy.com/sports/most_vertical_metres_skied_world_record_set_by_Oliver_Kern_101640.htm

Disappointed Admin didn't spot the world record potential at the resort and go foe the record at last years pre season Bash. Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think you'll find... that with a helicopter you can do quite a lot better than that. Mostly those heli records are about the size of your bank balance, it's not really a ski/ snowboard thing.

Some heli operators post "daily vertical" counts in their lodges, so macho people can compare... whatever it is they are comparing. Some operators shifted from that model to a more discrete approach (you can find out your vertical if you insist but no one cares). The result is a quite dramatic change in run structure, with for example "valley bottom" pickups no longer being used in favour of higher pickups at the bottom of the good stuff. => more ego results in worse riding.
snow report
Quote:

IME a fast cable car is quicker than a bubble if you catch it at the right time however, allowing for wait times, they tend to be fairly even on average.

I think a fast detachable chair with a singles line would be optimal - no faffing with skis on and off, steps, etc
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

IME a fast cable car is quicker than a bubble if you catch it at the right time however, allowing for wait times, they tend to be fairly even on average.

I think a fast detachable chair with a singles line would be optimal - no faffing with skis on and off, steps, etc

Think you may be right. NOt sure how much quicker gondolas are than detatchable chairs. I often compare them going up. Cable cars are certainly the quickest -once going...

I think this guy probably wins.
http://youtube.com/v/ASqwyq39r0w
ski holidays
Managed nigh on 1,200m yesterday, but hey that was skinning up in just under 2.5hrs
ski holidays
I reckon that myself and everyone I snowboard with average about 5k vertical a day. comparing the numbers it made me think about the who does most damage to the piste thread!
snow report
I managed 14K in solden last year with lunch, in 5 hours, going reasonably quickly In Zermatt the year before best day was 12k in 6 hours. So I guess it depends on the arrangement of the lifts.
snow report
eddiethebus wrote:
I reckon that myself and everyone I snowboard with average about 5k vertical a day. comparing the numbers it made me think about the who does most damage to the piste thread!

But 2 hours spent rolling up a cigarette in the middle of each piste obviously brings the "vertical" total down a bit?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy