Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vertical metres. What's average?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I've been using the skyline lift pass facility to track my vertical metres and I've been averaging 3500 per day with 5500 being my best day. That equals approx 16 lifts per day. It doesn't sound very much does it?

His does it compare to you?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i used ski tracks on my week before christmas, mine ranged from 3550 to 5550 as the week progressed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Inga wrote:
Hi
I've been using the skyline lift pass facility to track my vertical metres and I've been averaging 3500 per day with 5500 being my best day. That equals approx 16 lifts per day. It doesn't sound very much does it?

His does it compare to you?

Sounds like a good day ski touring wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It depends massively on the resort, lift queues, snow, and whether you are just skiing around or trying for vertical metres. I would have thought anything in the 5000-10000 range was good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would have thought anything above 12,000 would be respectable. 5000in a day isn't really trying. I've managed about that on a bike so should be possible to do stacks more on skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm trying to think of a good resort to go for Vertical. A quick Gondola or cable car with a big vertical rise, a quick, steep descent and no queues. Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you download do you nett it off Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are just just doing relaxed skiing with family and friends and taking regular breaks for rum & chocolate and proper lunch stops then I reckon 5,000m is about average. Of course you can do a lot more if you're trying but that wasn't quite the question. For me skiing is not about trying to clock up the maximum number of vertical metres or runs in a day. It's about achieving the 'right' number.

I wonder how the average number of vertical metres will vay from resort to resort. Obviously resorts with slow/crowded lifts will reduce the average but:
1. Do you achieve more vertical by skiing steep runs (at a slower speed) or on a fast blue/red?
2. American resort tend to have less vertical and AFAIK the runs tend to be shorter. Will that impact the average or is the resort itself pretty irrelevant?

@TheGeneralist, Silly question, but on your bike are you counting both the ascent and the descent? The figures you quote sound perfectly possible but relatively high.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
About 5000m up and about 5000m down. Though not at once... Up down up down. Not really explaining. Very well. To be honest I don't really know the accurate figures. Twas the West Highland way. Somewhere between 4400 and 5500 from what I could gather.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reckon a 20,000 ft day is a pretty good day if you are avoiding groomers. It's pretty easy to knock it off in a morning if you're groomer zooming but if you're hitting up crud, bumps and trees with some necessary traversing then it's a fair target. I did 2 back to back pow days of 40k ft each last season and that was pretty full on with essentially no lift lines.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@foxtrotzulu, it can vary quite a bit, depending on how much vertical is available. Looking through my Ski Tracks, I can see my average is about 7500m, while average distance (lifts and runs) is about 45km. To compare two similar days, I clocked up 6700m on the Sella Ronda over 46km, but 9350m over 46.5km at Kronplatz. That extra vertical is due to Kronplatz having some very long descents, so you spend more time skiing rather than on the lift.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On our lad's trips in the PDS we sometimes manage an "Everest" (8848m+) but not always. That's with an experienced but not super skilled group having a c. 10.00 start, a coffee stop and a fairly leisurely lunch then finishing close to last lift.

The further afield we go the less vertical we seem to manage.

I reckon 5000 is a leisurely day, 10000 going it a bit and more than that means fast skiing and not too many stops or queues.

Quality over quantity rules though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TheGeneralist wrote:
About 5000m up and about 5000m down. Though not at once... Up down up down. Not really explaining. Very well. To be honest I don't really know the accurate figures. Twas the West Highland way. Somewhere between 4400 and 5500 from what I could gather.

Stage 11 of this year's Vuelta was seen as quite ridiculous - the most difficult in the history of grand tours. It was designed by tour competitor Jaquam Rodriguez and had an unprecidented 5200m of ascending. I watched it live on Eursport and it was so tough the riders didn't really race it rather than just try and get through it.

http://www.cyclingstage.com/vuelta-2015-route/stage-11-spain-2015/

It would be interesting if lift comapanies charged by your vertical liek the heliski cpmpanies do.

I reckona 1000m takes about 20 minutes up and twenty minutes down if you're ona quick gondola and not stopping stopping on the way down. So, in a 7 hour ski day 10k of vertical should be possible
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
According to the spreadsheet that I kept then over the entire course of last season I averaged 3420 vertical meters a day as measured by my Ski Tracks app and 4156 a day according to the Skyline website. I should say that I only skied in the mornings as my afternoons were put aside for dog walking so I guess that distance could be doubled for a full day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did 11k+ one day last winter going for it and was still back down by 4 Happy Even this winter with dodgy snow I managed 7k about 3 weeks ago in 5 and a half hours.
snow conditions
As PDS says I always work on an 'Everest' being a fair day's work. I once did over 14,000m as measured on the old Avocet watch (of dubious accuracy). It was a few years ago and involved queuing for the first lift and skiing down below Meribel then down loading on the Brides les Bains lift way after ski closing time.
snow report
all depends doesn't it- family skiing with 5 year olds, mid-life crisis riven 40 somethings with something to prove, testosterone fuelled twenty somethings full of vim and vigour, alpine, tele, long leisurely lunches, booze, boozeless, boozy, snoozy?

With my 2 older kids in 2013 we reckoned that 7000m per day was just about achievable ( we did 7200m once when it was the Saturday changeover day so no ski school for the 9 year old) - with the 11 year old on tele gear for the first time.

I think an Everest is the way to go- but it will kill my things....
snow conditions
ed123 wrote:
- but it will kill my things....
thighs
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
ed123 wrote:
- but it will kill my things....
thighs
No, I think you were right the first time with 'things'.
latest report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Ski Tracks and other apps only counts the ascents. It assumes you came back down again, so divide your bike figures by half to be comparable.
snow report
Quote:
Ski Tracks and other apps only counts the ascents. It assumes you came back down again, so divide your bike figures by half to be comparable.

Eh? Is confused.
Why would I divide them by two?
I was saying that I did around 5km descent in a day.
snow report
5km of ascent on a bike in a day is...a lot. Fair play!
latest report
Quality not quantity!!!!
ski holidays
At the extreme end, the 3Valleys Escapade is about 15000m vertical and 100kms skiing, and is constant travel for c7.5 hours. Half that is a really decent day's piste skiing.
latest report
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Stage 11 of this year's Vuelta was seen as quite ridiculous - the most difficult in the history of grand tours. It was designed by tour competitor Jaquam Rodriguez and had an unprecidented 5200m of ascending.

The 2009 stage to Velefique had 6500m of vertical.
snow report
My 7 year old gets tracked by gps in ski school - he averages about 18000 to 19000 ft vertical (decents). We may well ski more free skiing.
ski holidays
jellylegs wrote:
Stage 11 of this year's Vuelta was seen as quite ridiculous - the most difficult in the history of grand tours. It was designed by tour competitor Jaquam Rodriguez and had an unprecidented 5200m of ascending.

The 2009 stage to Velefique had 6500m of vertical.
Very true, although seen as an easier stage as they were much tamer climbs. Not that I could do it though
Smile
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Quote:

Eh? Is confused.
Why would I divide them by two?
I was saying that I did around 5km descent in a day.

I'm not suggesting you divide your 5km by two, but when you said that '12,000 is respectable and 5,0000 isn't really trying' then I thought we were in agreement that those figures included both descent and ascent, and as such they should be halved to be comparable with what others are saying. Did I misunderstand?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Tracks does not only count the ascent. It lists ascent and descent separately and they don't usually match because the point where you turn it on is not usually the same point where you finish. I frequently don't remember to turn it on until I'm at the top of the first lift or second lift but it always records the ski home to a much lower point. Also, if you download on a lift, you have to pause it otherwise it will record that as a ski so it is definitely measuring descent.

With regards to how much vertical in a day, a competent adult group will do 8,000-10,000m vertical in a day around the 3V's IME. Anything above 12,000m is a good day out with not much lunch. When I ski on my own, 14,000m is not unusual and 15,000 to 16,000m possible if I do first lift-ish.

I was out for 2 weeks before Christmas and in the last 7 days I averaged 12,524m with one 14,239m day, one 14,947m and 16,104m on the last day. I suspect 18,000m would be possible in the Spring when the lifts are open half an hour later but I've never done it. Might give it a go, though - I like the idea of doing a double Everest in a day wink
ski holidays
According to Skiline we managed about 8,000m a day last week and had a day at 9.2k. I will add that the pistes were hard and fast so it wasn't actually hard skiing.
snow conditions

I've only used Ski Tracks twice and this was the second day in Espace Killy a few weeks ago. 8500m with an 8 year old. We didn't stop much and queues were either non-existent or negligible. It would be hard to do much more than that.
ski holidays
I've tracked vertical out of curiosity for years - long before Ski Tracks appeared on the scene.

My days vary between 2K and 12K. Low vertical is associated with off-piste, poor weather, long lunches and lots of hiking. My 2K day saw all those happen on the same day.

My big vertical day was in Zermatt: loads of high speed lifts, endless high speed red and easy black runs and restaurants too expensive for lingering.

The best way to run up high vertical is to use only steep high speed lifts, and to stick to groomed red and black runs. It won't be the best day skiing that you've ever had, though.
snow report
@Jonny Jones, Laughing
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:

The best way to run up high vertical is to use only steep high speed lifts, and to stick to groomed red and black runs. It won't be the best day skiing that you've ever had, though.

Exactly.
ski holidays
I'm trying to think of a good resort to go for Vertical. A quick Gondola or cable car with a big vertical rise, a quick, steep descent and no queues. Any suggestions?
IME a fast cable car is quicker than a bubble if you catch it at the right time however, allowing for wait times, they tend to be fairly even on average.
If you were purely out to nail vert, with no concern for 'quality of experience' then finding a spot where there is one of each could be the answer. For example the mid station above Courchevel has the Saulire cable car and the Vizelle bubble, each giving U similar vert. Watch the cable car as you come down, if it's close to its next departure go for it; if it's just gone, the bubble will be quicker.
snow conditions
admin wrote:
IME a fast cable car is quicker than a bubble if you catch it at the right time however, allowing for wait times, they tend to be fairly even on average.
If you were purely out to nail vert, with no concern for 'quality of experience' then finding a spot where there is one of each could be the answer. For example the mid station above Courchevel has the Saulire cable car and the Vizelle bubble, each giving U similar vert. Watch the cable car as you come down, if it's close to its next departure go for it; if it's just gone, the bubble will be quicker.

I also thought of Courchevel as the cable car is quick but often busy. Arabba could also be good - bubbles and cable car together -quite big vert and a quick way down. I've only ever done it first thing in the moring though and imagine it's busy as the day goes on, being part of the Sell Ronda. The gondola out of Meribel to the top of Saulire has a much bigger vert than the Courchevel side but is often vert busy and Ican't remember if you have to get off and on again. The run down into Meribel is also not that steep and takes a while.
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, Arabba would be a good choice. Although I've never been at a school holiday week, I have been through when the lift has been busy and I've still never queued here. The big gondola combined with the large bubbles seems to shift a crowd pretty rapidly. I have been a bit squashed though.
snow conditions
If you want a quiet cable car, the one at Alba gives U what, 6 or 700m, never has a queue and the black run back to it is pleasant and always empty. Then it's all about learning to ski the run at the rhythm of the cable car Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, Arabba would be a good choice. Although I've never been at a school holiday week, I have been through when the lift has been busy and I've still never queued here. The big gondola combined with the large bubbles seems to shift a crowd pretty rapidly. I have been a bit squashed though.

I took the wrong turn a the top and split with my group last year so had to bomb it down and get back up to catch them up en route to Marmolada. It was first thing in the morning so pretty empty so it didn't take long to get down - although my legs were dead at the bottom.

I think there's an opportunity to set a record at Alleghe if we have anyone fit enough or dumb enough or a combination of both. The resort hasn't got a great vertical or a perfect lift structure but it is very very quite - little or now queus, pistes you can bobmb down and, uniquely,it does have one Gondola that opens up intil 9pm on Thur Fri and Sat. It has two runs under it and one is black and it's floodlit. The rest of us could sit slopeside, getting drunk, cheering them on......
I'm sure some sort of challenge could be organised Admin? with a cake as a prize?
snow conditions
In the days when we had to do this manually from the figures on the piste map - a mate and I managed 2 Everests in a day (just over 16000m). Late Spring day in the 3V, first lift and took the last bubble up the top Gondola above Mottaret (is it Vallon?) to get the last 1000 or so. I do remember quite a few laps of the Masse Gondolas opposite Les Menuires. And we still made Dicks T Bar!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy