Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Staff

Poster: A snowHead
Hmm, i thought it was €75
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Whisky_priest, no it was defo 100€
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whisky_priest wrote:
@ALQ, that kind of information is restricted to the bar where ex-seasonaires and seasonaires dish the gossip in a bizarre display of one-upmanship

One downsmanship, more accurately.

That I'm a Yorkshireman gives me an unfair advantage in such cases.

I've just got the message back, apparently the request is Supernoodles and Buckfast!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Breakfast of champions
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I often get asked the "is there anything you would like us to bring out?" question and I've got to admit I do find it a bit weird. We do have a very good supermarket nearby, better-stocked than most I ever shopped-in in the UK. British chocolate can be a little pricy (if not actually hard to get), but really, I live on the French / Swiss / Italian border. Good chocolate is not hard to find.

The only genuinely hard to get thing that I really miss is good beer. People are less willing to fly out with cases of Brewdog...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thedrewski wrote:
I've just got the message back, apparently the request is Supernoodles and Buckfast!

Blimey, even if Devon it's hard enough to get hold of Bucky! I used to drive past Buckfastleigh on the way home and could pop in to pick up a few bottles from the local service station (seriously), a taste sensation and perfect for taking to festivals.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thedrewski,
Quote:

I have a sneaking suspicion you won't be staying in the poshest chalet!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stevomcd,
Quote:

Good chocolate is not hard to find.
It's not 'good' chocolate that's the issue. Many Swiss/French chocolates are too good and don't contain all the bad stuff that makes CDM the best chocolate in the world! (BTW, do the Italians even make chocolate?)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@thedrewski,
Quote:

Brilliant.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@foxtrotzulu,

True. Its the glass and a half that most non-UK citizens do not understand.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd wrote:

The only genuinely hard to get thing that I really miss is good beer. People are less willing to fly out with cases of Brewdog...

Likewise, miss a good pint of bitter. Did notice that the big Spar in Innsbruck's shopping centre was selling some Brewdog and Fuller's beers, so maybe starting to find their way over...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@thedrewski,
Quote:

Mean!

You're entirely right. But still. Mean!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At least they havent asked you for Barrettine Meths

Check the reviews:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barrettine-Methylated-Spirit-500ml/dp/B002ATI4VG?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whisky_priest,
They are wonderful, I think I may try a snifter to wash down my paracetamol.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

BTW, do the Italians even make chocolate?

Yes, very definitely!

Maybe I've gone too local, but Milka ticks the CDM box for me.

Although nothing will ever be as good as CDM, sourced from the foil-wrapped stash in my Grandfather's bedside drawer, served from the fridge for crunchiness. Even nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be.
snow conditions
Quote:

BTW, do the Italians even make chocolate?

Absolutely. http://www.venchi.com/uk/italian-chocolate/best-hot-chocolate.html
ski holidays
Milka isnt fit to lick the boots of CDM!
Crunchies and a chocolate orange or two normally sneak into my suitcase.
ski holidays
And gravy granules.
ski holidays
Swiss chocolate is pretty bad. French is top notch and English is good too.
snow conditions
I did 5 seasons as a chalet girl/manager and we were very poorly paid but we had lots of food. So the the best thing by far and it might sound a bit shallow or presumptuous, but money is what we needed....tip well and they will go that extra mile.
snow report
@madlondoner,
Quote:

Swiss chocolate is pretty bad

Lindt is bad???!!!

Quote:

English is good

it is an acquired taste, I'll give you that.
snow report
@madlondoner, the actual cocoa content in UK chocolate is so low that it makes it damned difficult for it to pass any standard for chocolate or natural product! Since Kraft foods took over most of the production in the UK the real food content has decreased and the chemical compounds have increased. Milka is not the only European manufacturer but possibly the only name most SBSs can pronounce hence its popularity (along with Toblerone) wink
snow conditions
nohairjustaredhead wrote:
I did 5 seasons as a chalet girl/manager and we were very poorly paid but we had lots of food. So the the best thing by far and it might sound a bit shallow or presumptuous, but money is what we needed....tip well and they will go that extra mile.
What do YOU think of this idea of tipping halfway through the week, as opted to on departure. Not much point in them 'going the extra mile' as they carry your bags to the car.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Not much point in them 'going the extra mile' as they carry your bags to the car.

Depends if you parked your car a mile away or not.

Sorry ^_^
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, On the basis that you're friendly, courteous and polite, I suspect that you'll be well looked after regardless of tip timing or gifts from home.

In the great words of Adam Hills (The Last Leg) "don't be a dick" and you'll have a great time.... at least that always been my experience.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, as an ex-chalet girl, I would say it can be very difficult to predict who will tip and how much. So if you want the staff to go the extra mile vs what is part of the package, e.g. late breakfasts, wine left out after dinner, mid-week linen changes etc, then I would tip about half at the beginning of the week, but make it clear the rest will come at the end of the week if they do indeed go the extra mile. Then they know it will be worth their while, but are still inclined to work for it. If you don't want anything special, just tip at the end of the week dependent on service. Having stayed in chalets where staff are good for the first half of the week, but then lose the plot after their day off and never get it back together, I wouldn't personally give the whole tip at the halfway point.
latest report
Gämsbock wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, as an ex-chalet girl, I would say it can be very difficult to predict who will tip and how much. So if you want the staff to go the extra mile vs what is part of the package, e.g. late breakfasts, wine left out after dinner, mid-week linen changes etc, then I would tip about half at the beginning of the week, but make it clear the rest will come at the end of the week if they do indeed go the extra mile. Then they know it will be worth their while, but are still inclined to work for it. If you don't want anything special, just tip at the end of the week dependent on service. Having stayed in chalets where staff are good for the first half of the week, but then lose the plot after their day off and never get it back together, I wouldn't personally give the whole tip at the halfway point.

Yep i agree here totally...
I always looked after my guests really well..ie...no wine limitations etc...but if we thought they might be good tippers or indicate as such then we would give more attention to detail.
Some guests thought that they would tip by taking us out for a meal on our day of but.....no offence all you billies....the last thing you wanted to do on your night off was spend it watching your p's and q's in case someone complained about you......and then listen to the whole table painfully divide the bill....discussing it down to the last 100 lire...which was pence....it was sooo painfull........
latest report
Gämsbock wrote:

Hmmm... Good point. Handing the chalet girl a fat wodge of cash just before she goes out on the lash on her night off might not be conducive to a decent breakfast the next day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm, having chalet staff eyeing me up and deciding whether I might be a good tipper or not, and treating me accordingly, is one of the reasons I prefer to stay in a hotel.
latest report
I'd like someone to bring me oven cleaner that bleedin' works Mad
snow conditions
I'd like someone to bring me oven cleaner that bleeding' works Mad
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, generally we used to go out on the lash after dinner the night before our day off, the nightclubs tended to be busier with workers on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday nights depending on the T/O day off, night off was normally reasonably quiet by comparison and cooking yourself basic food such as egg and chips for dinner, as we used to eat with the guests during the week and could not face another large meal!!!
with regards to tipping, I don't remember ever looking at the guests at the beginning of the week to see who was going to tip the best, I hope we gave the same level of service to all the guests. saying that you tended to know who you wanted to avoid or not socially by the afternoon of the guests arriving, some of the best evenings was spent on a Saturday with a large group watching the rugby/football in our preferred watering hole, sometimes barely getting the meal prepared in time as mutzig was being supplied to us by the guests!!.
snow conditions
Gämsbock wrote:

I had a guest show up and slap 40 euros in my hand at the beginning of the week and said to me 'I expect to be treated well this week', firstly that was really insulting because he was already expecting the service to be awful before he even got in the minibus at the Airport Shocked Secondly, I didn't feel like I had to go the 'extra mile' for the guy because he was a dick and thought that 40 euros out weighed the few grand he'd dropped to come on the holiday, then started demanding that his son (who was working in the resort for the season) should be allowed round for dinner every night even though he didn't have Sole Occupancy of the Chalet, so this random would've just showed esch night (for free) expecting to be fed... not cool, not cool at all. And failed to tell me at any point during the week that he was a vegetarian.

Just be nice & friendly, tell them you enjoyed dinner, talk to them like they're humans not robots, and give them an excellent tip the night before you leave, not the morning that you leave.

I had a lovely group once who stood up and did a speech about how they enjoyed their holiday based on how friendly me and the mr were, the vast spread of food day in and out, the pick ups/drop downs, everything... When they left I cried a little bit. And when we decided to close the company down I felt awful because they then emailed asking to come back... best guests ever, and they didn't even tip very much, I just really enjoyed their company, conversations etc and you could tell they did too.
snow report
We just used to treat everyone the same. By the end of the week might get a tip on the last night after dinner. If not, doesn't matter it'd be off to bed then get people out early and start the clean.

There wasn't much time really.

A tip isn't obligatory. I see it as a thankyou direct to the people who served you.

It was always odd how you would get first impressions (nearly always wrong after people had been travelling all day) then make the odd assumption and then be totally surprised and the end of the week.

I remember going out of my way for some people and getting nothing and then having people that didn't want to talk to us giving us the biggest tips.

I had a ski pass, lodgings food and a prices were still reasonably good. Had a ball Very Happy
latest report
Tequila Tuesday @Whisky_priest,
snow report
maggi wrote:
Hmm, having chalet staff eyeing me up and deciding whether I might be a good tipper or not, and treating me accordingly, is one of the reasons I prefer to stay in a hotel.

I can't speak for others, but I never thought about it like that. I just took each week as it came and did my best. I didn't treat any groups of guests differently - as I said before, I couldn't tell who was going to tip well!
snow report
We very rarely get tips and they've always come at the end of the stay anyway so I suppose it's a bit of a moot point on my behalf, but I really don't think I'd like the pre-tip or the "do a good job and you'll get a good tip" thing - although I suppose I can see the point in giving something at the start if you're asking (nicely) for something extra special.
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, Yeah, on paper a good idea. Laughing

Didn't last long, or did it?

I know after the season finished it took at least six months before I could face cooking chilli again *barf*
latest report
To be honest I'd rather people just be nice and good fun than tip if that were the choice.
snow report
Yep, happy guests are a boon
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy