Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

north face snomad tour backpack tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got experience of using the diagonal ski carry , helmet carry and ice tool carry on this?

Its not obvious from tiny instruction booklet how best to to fasten the shoulder strap and the skis for diagonal carry, or indeed where to find the other two features at all.

I will find a way, but would be good to know how the manufacturer intended this to work.

Looks like a good pack in general. Impressed by its lightness for the 36L size.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a method that works on the ski carry. Unclip the ski carry leash from the front of the rucksack shoulder strap. Feed the clip through one of the two leash ends to form a loop - you'll need to experiment with which leash to use and how long it need to be set from the clip. It should be the one that doesn't slip when pulled, and length is such that the skis are held tight when the leash is re-clipped.
Feed the loop over the top of both skis. Lift the skis and place the tail into the tail loop (the dangling grey loop rear right).
Feed the shoulder clip through the loop on the top of the rucksack (from rear to front, which prevents skis slipping off shoulder). Then re-clip the strap into its shoulder clip. If the length is correct, the skis are now secure.

Still no idea how the helmet carry works (or even where it is!). Similarly with the ice tool carry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IIRC North Face have a channel on YouTube with a video of the features of each of their products.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @spyderjon. I can't find it on there. Not sure if that means its super old, super new, or marketed under a different name elsewhere.
Good fun working it out though, at least until the snow arrives in earnest Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure how the Snomad design works, but have seen Skimo (ski-mountaineering) racers with these quick attachment packs who can attach skis in 20 secs or so without removing the pack

Video of the system in use here...

http://youtube.com/v/5shhyBmjDY4

Articles here about making diy versions may help too...

http://www.skintrack.com/gear-tech/how-to-make-ski-hook-attachment/
http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1001074/Bronco#Post1001074
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @geoffers. Useful links.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have found several ways to attach axe and helmet.

Axe:

1 - Mine is short enough to fit inside the avi tools pocket, shaft down the central sleeve. Have covered the spike and pick with a cover I made from wrapped electrical tape, to avoid piercing sack.

2 - Shaft upward though top plastic ABS guide, with pick pointing into lower ABS sleeve, secured by fastening lower straps horizontally. You could house a second axe if necessary in the other side.

3 - shaft inserted from rear into top rucksack handle, right up to the head before being folded back over so spike is facing down the back of the sack, secured by lower horizontal strap.

4 - variants of 3 using the side straps.

Helmet:

1 - the rear strap at the rear of my helmet (for securing the goggle strap ) unclips easily and can be hooked around the top rucksack handle. The top straps of the rucksack can then secure around the helmet.

2 - use the helmet straps to hook around the lower ABS sleeve, and secure with the lower horizontal straps.

Rather a shame North Face haven't supported what looks like a good backpack with some better instruction booklets.

I'll add some comments on here once I've used it more in the snow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy