Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This time 10 years ago....

Poster: A snowHead
I am just pondering the 10th anniversary of my sabbatical spent working a season (aged 40) in Les Menuires. I was a keen but by no means obsessed skier before 2005. Since then...total obsession....(but sadly not to the point of being a full time alpine resident).

This time 10 years ago I specifically recall exactly where I was and what I was doing this very New Year's night. After feeding the guests in our chalet (the oven broke down and the "roast pork" was fried in slices on the hob while the maintenance man was trying the fix the oven at the back!), I was on cleaning duty for the hot tub and sauna area. I remember thinking "New year's eve 2005/2006 and I'm here with my rubber gloves on scrubbing a shower"!!! I then headed up to La Ferme de Reberty for midnight...
It then snowed about 12 inches overnight, I remember standing at the top of Jerusalem the following morning as the clouds parted and the sun hit the slopes...One of the most stunning and uplifting moments of my season.

A lot has happened in my life since that day, mainly because of my decision to take that sabbatical. (Mr P, moving 150 miles to live with him and his 2 boys and having some amazing winter experiences in the snow since I would otherwise never have done).
So today, we are staying with friends in their newly purchased little house just down the road from St Martin. I take a vicarious pride in the fact that I introduced them to St M. I am looking out of the window at brown mountain side and the clouds hovvering on the mountain tops. It's still lovely, even though we have not actually put our skis on since arriving on Monday night!
I can't quite believe it's been 10 years... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hah, we had just signed the compromis on our house in Chamonix and Mrs U was interviewing for a job in Geneva...

It's been an interesting 10 years snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10 years ago? That's when we used to have snow at Christmas

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Living in the same house, working at the same place. Nothing much has changed in 10 years.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
10 years ago I was doing my first season in La Tania, met my husband to be and I'm still here. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
10 years ago, I turned down a very good offer of a summer job in the alps because I wasn't sure what to do with the winters. Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Custard the Rabbit, Shocked Shocked

There isn't one for "idiot" is there...?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Custard the Rabbit, Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
10 years ago I still had 12 months of ignorant bliss ahead of me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
10 years ago we were moving into our new apartment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My season was ten years ago too. Lots of friends made and my boarding improved dramatically.

Met someone who I now have a daughter with and although that relationship died a death my love of the mountains hasn't ebbed one bit

10 years ago. Where the hell did that go?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my first season was 20 years ago 95/96 where the f### does the time go, finished seasons as the noughties kicked in.
remember it like it was yesterday!!!
best time of my life and led to some travelling, gaining a wife and family but sadly since far few trips back to the alps must admit I am jealous of the fellow seasonaires I started with who have gone on to make a permanent life in the mountains.
thankfully am taking my family out for the kids first ski holiday In feb just hope we have steady snow fall from now till then!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@terrygasson, skiing with your kids is great, enjoy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@balernoStu, cheers, have been counting down the days since October (now down to 41) when kids completed lessons at the Hemel fridge!!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
10 years ago we were on week 3 of our first season...
latest report
10 years ago I had a total of 3 weeks skiing under my belt... but the addiction was kinda growing fast Toofy Grin
snow report
10 years ago I had yet to start skiing.
ski holidays
10 years ago I was 5 weeks into one of the best seasons ever! Came to an abrupt halt on a piece of black ice on March 6th though when I slipped while loading my car and ruptured the ACL/LCL and tore the meniscii to shreds Crying or Very sad Tried to ski for a further 3 days but by then the knee was well and truly fooked.
ski holidays
Ten years ago had just moved to Germany, joined the local ski club and being introduced to weekend ski trips. Coupled with the very boozey coach journeys to various resorts around the alps (and further) the whole experience of true social skiing was/is ingrained in the memory. Happy days.
snow conditions
Skiing round gum trees in oz. Quickly loses it's appeal. The beaches are nice though!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy