Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing has ruined my life

Poster: A snowHead
@Zero_G, who needs heels when you have all that rope and nice shiny ice axes wink

Seriously nice blog, I can totally relate.
I have often thought about returning to UK since my marriage broke up as I can earn a lot more back home, but then I wake up and look at the view of the Dachstein from my bedroom window and think......nahhhhhhhh
Theres just something about living in the mountains Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a plan. It's going to take me roughly another 7 years to pay my mortgage off. I'm currently earning way above my earnings ceiling in my career so I'd be a fool to ditch my current job, not to mention the pension plan. Once the mortgage is paid off I can afford to take a cut in earnings and work for myself, which I can do anywhere in the world remotely. i'm already trying to build up some freelance business. So I could keep my house and rent it out, use the rent money to rent something abroad. If that pans out I could sell my UK house and buy an apartment abroad. But I need to own property somewhere, it's going to pay for my old age care eventually.

In the meantime I can afford a couple of nice skiing holidays each season without breaking the long term financial plan. It's all good. So I'll come back to the 10 years ago thread in 10 years' time and hopefully it will all have happened... Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing has become a major part of my life, but unlike some others in this thread I've never wanted to move to the mountains full time. I'm in the Alps typically 12-14 weeks per winter (in a variety of different resorts), which is great, but I value my time at home in the UK just as much. A few years back I did spend an extended period of time in the same resort and to be honest it made me a little stir crazy. I like the balance that I have now between home and the mountains, with the only downside being the amount of travel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For as long as I can remember I've wished for an alpine base, at least for the winters. What I've learned is whatever prevented me doing it earlier seems trivial looking back, while current responsibilities make it feel impossible now. Next opportunity could be when kids finish school, 9 more years!

@Claude B, you're giving me hope it will still be fun then Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, same here. Even though Cham is a town rather than a village, I don't want to live there year round. I have a good balance between London and Chamonix that suits my lifestyle.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Part of why I'm happy here is that my job involves a lot of travel so I get a city fix when I need it.
I'd go stir crazy if I worked in the ski/ tourism industry here.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well that is the view from my bedroom window:

We've been in the Alps for 5 years, enough time to start skiing, love skiing, and forget about ever having a real career!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JamesHJ, Very nice indeed.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course you sacrifice a lot- without too many details, we are in no way secure, no permanent employment etc. Far from friends etc. A nice view can only get you so far!

Actually the best thing about living in France is the way families and children are recognised, not skiing, but that is a bit of an epic thread drift.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm - we have a lot in common.

There seems to be a theme developing with the above snowHeads :

1) initially hated skiing - now obsessed with it
2) marrying a non-snow lover, resulting in divorce
3) abandoning civilised norms (high heels) and living in alpine "digs"
4) Avoiding all responsibility (financial+emotional) for that all-important season pass

Perhaps @Zero_G, you should write a book, seems women have midlife crisis too!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
None of those 4 apply to me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Me neither.

Kooky wrote:

Theres just something about living in the mountains Madeye-Smiley

I agree - no idea where future adventures may take me, but right now I know it would be very hard to leave the mountains - I love the summer as much as (possibly more than) the winter and I don't think a couple of months a year here would be enough… who knows though, I was always a big city person (even found Paris a bit small after a year) who never, ever, imagined I'd want to live in an alpine village so I'm pretty sure I'll adapt wherever I end up - I do still really enjoy at least a couple of months of the year in a big city.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Me neither. I think I've even managed to crack the high heel problem

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That makes me so sad @rob@rar, red soles not shoes... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nadenoodlee, I'll have a word with Christian next time I see him.
ski holidays
@rob@rar,
Quote:

A few years back I did spend an extended period of time in the same resort and to be honest it made me a little stir crazy.

Me too, couldn't wait to return to London.
ski holidays
So clearly no pattern developing if @rob@rar and @Hurtle couldn't even hack a season without going crazy!
latest report
I'd have gone crazy in other resorts I've stayed in. Year round "normality" is pretty important.
latest report
Actually thinking about it, I would have gone crazy in the first season so probably not have given life here a proper shot had I a) not had my husband with me and b) not had internet.
ski holidays
Idris wrote:
Back in 1998 I had this stupid idea that after graduating university I would go to Whistler a for a ski season and then come home , settle down and be an engineer, well 18 months after my finals I came home to say hi to my folks and do laundry, on my way to Verbier.
I've lived on 4 continents skied in 100+ resorts and now have about 1500+ days of skiing under my belt, but all I own is a 18 year old car and a bunch of ski gear.
Sure the engineering degree comes in useful sometimes - I built all the machines I use to make skis form scratch. When the car (or friends cars) brake down it's only work to fix them not garages and expense.

Why was Whistler so influential ? 98-99 was the last big el Nino year, I skied 90+ days of powder and just had this idea that's what a ski season was supposed to be like and most of my previous ski trips had just been unlucky weather wise.

Having known you at uni it was very obvious you were never going to give up the mountains for a proper job in the rat race. And fair play to you. I am jealous!
snow conditions
I just dated some hot tart in the mountains, she even stores my powder Bents for me wink
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I just dated some hot tart in the mountains, she even stores my powder Bents for me wink

Shocked Shocked Thats no way to talk about flangesax Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
That makes me so sad @rob@rar, red soles not shoes... wink

A woman after my own heart wink
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:

Careful there mister, those Bents could end up as firewood wink
snow conditions
@balernoStu, I'm sure it will be Happy
snow conditions
@geepee, +1
snow report
Reading all your posts, and I am filled with fear . . . 62, haven't even tried it yet and it would appear the kids' inheritance is under threat. Looking forward to the trip in a fortnight's time with increasing trepidation. What if I manage to survive the week and then find I really, really like it? Snoody'd better not be relying on his Ma for funds to keep him on the slopes . . . .
latest report
Popsie wrote:
Reading all your posts, and I am filled with fear . . . 62, haven't even tried it yet and it would appear the kids' inheritance is under threat. Looking forward to the trip in a fortnight's time with increasing trepidation. What if I manage to survive the week and then find I really, really like it? Snoody'd better not be relying on his Ma for funds to keep him on the slopes . . . .

You're doomed, mark my words. See you on the slopes soon. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I met my wife on a ski holiday in Austria. (Many moons ago now!)

At the time I had 3 strong criterior for the future Mrs Ouch!

1. She must Ski
2. ..........................This one is private.
3. Does she like curry?

So, I asked he if she liked curry and that was it.

Ouch!
snow report
Sub_Zero_G wrote:
Today is a significant
My sister – damn her – cajoled me back up the mountain and carefully guided me down a less daunting-looking blue run.

And yes, I gave up my vast collection of beautiful and sexy high heels to make space in my closet for skiing and climbing gear.

When you said sister, I for some reason assumed you were a guy. Which made the high heels sentence give me a strange mental image
latest report
Cost me a divorce, but wouldn't say it's ruined my life, more enhanced it Very Happy
snow report
@Bennisboy, weird mental processes there.................
snow conditions
The thing about being a skier is. I cannot understand how non-skiers can do it?

How do they survive without the thrill of being in the mountains and cruising the blues and reds on a sunny day?

I couldn't imagine my life without recharging the batteries in the mountains.

I'm old, fat and skint, but my ski holidays are the thing that keep me going.

We bung the holiday on the credit card and I've nearly paid off last year's ski holiday just in time to book this year's.

Mrs Ouch and I, tried a beach holiday about 4 years ago and it was awful we were both bored after 20 minutes and longing for the slopes.

Skiing hasn't ruined my life....just my finances!

.....and long may it continue

Ouch!
latest report
Sometimes I wish this forum had a like button. If it had I would use it for the above!

snowHead
snow conditions
@Chris Bish, +1
snow conditions
There are some nice stories here; both inspiring and depressing (when reality hits).
snow report
Thanks dudes!

Just booked to go back to Sellaronda in Feb staying in Campitello........Super excited.....Still skint!
ski holidays
I decided to become a ski bum last year, or at least sort of. I'm 59 and in a business partnership with another guy (don't make the mistake of thinking that means I'm rolling in it - quite the opposite). My role is to write all the software for the business and do all the finances. So I figured so long as I have my computer and internet I can work anywhere. Bought an 18-year-old motor home and a generator and spent Feb to mid April in Chamonix. So successful that I doing it again this year. Maybe I should just move out there. Definitely not ruined my life but changed... certainly! Toofy Grin

To be fair I've been an alpine climber for about thirty years - so it's really only the length of stay that's radically changed.

On the down side it is a bit of a drag to get back down from the hill at 5 and then start working... Sad
ski holidays
Skiing has taken over my life, though probably improved rather than ruined it - @Sub_Zero_G is definitely to blame for a large portion of it though!

Chamonix was just one of many resorts I could go to from Geneva, up until in my second winter of skiing this nice little stranger on snowheads helpfully answered a bunch of my questions, and offered to show me and some Geneva friends around Cham... The next winter I rented my own apartment for the season, same again the winter after! This year I actually have to work but have already been there for 2 weeks, and have 2 further weekends booked, as well as 6 other ski weeks in other resorts, and I'm saving to someday buy my own place in Chamonix, hopefully in the not too distant future. I didn't even know what skiing was 5 years ago - the financially-secure-ignorance has now been thoroughly shredded.

@Ouch!, +1.
snow report
I still like a beach holiday. If you live through a cold winter - you need to warm up in the ocean/ with a gallon of mojito Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy