Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

branäs, salån in sweden

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been to either? im going to syssleback (spelling?) near branäs for a week, and its within reach of salån, and would just like any advice anyone has? thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming you mean Sälen, then it's about an hour and a half's drive from Sysslebäck - roads in that part of Sweden are not very direct. There are 2 pairs of "linked" ski areas: Lindvallen-Högfjället and Tandådalen-Hundfjället. Depending on what you expect, each would keep you occupied for a day or more; Tandådalen-Hundfjället has more varied and steeper skiing, whereas Lindvallen-Högfjället is gentler (mostly). They're both more extensive than Bränas I think, though I've not been to Bränas. None of these is anything like a resort in the Alps though.
Trysil in Norway will be just as close, and is more extensive. If you like travelling around whilst skiing, rather than repeating the same lift for different runs, Trysil is better. If you have the time and don't mind the drive, try them all Happy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thats the badger!Thanks, im not expecting it to be like the alps, just a family holiday really to get away for a week and so me and my friend said wed take our kit, did you see the lights while you were their? and wed love to try them all, just have to see how willing my dad is to take us to places as he wont put us on the insurance....grrrrrr
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trysil is closer actually. But Norway is ridiculously expensive, even compared to Sweden so factor that in. Not so much on the lift pass etc, but the day to day stuff like meals which quickly adds up. Visiting both may be tricky. In Sweden accomodation runs Sunday-Sunday, Sunday-Thursday, or Thursday- Sunday for short weeks. See Skistar.se that runs Sälen. Also there is Stöten in Sälen that is not Skistar. I don't know the change over day in Trysil. Either Sälen or Trysil would be fine for a week family holiday (its basically what Swedish and Norwegian families do).

Re the lights, I've lived in Sweden for 7 years travelled all over the Nordics and not seen them (though I haven't tried hard). It's pure luck if you are in the right place when there is activity and no cloud cover, plus checking on activity reports and be willing perhaps to stay/get up and/or get out of any populated area with light pollution.

As a side note, it is the car that is insured in Sweden not the driver. So anyone with a full licence can drive an insured car. Not sure how this applies to hire cars, but this is the case for private vehicles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you, i work in Sweden anyway but have always been in the south, and were staying thursday to thursday, were not going with an operator at all, just taking our skis and seeing whats their. Yeah i was thinking the same about the lights, but i have a friend who lives in nearby Värmland and he says he can see them from his house sometimes. And yeah we are renting a car and its a named driver type policy like in England unfortunately!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As an extra note, if you buy a weeks pass in Trysil or Sälen, you can use it for one day at the other resort. Kind of helps to break the week up. For multi location stays, you need to book hotels far ahead, at least 6 months. AirBnB can be useful too. A good weeks loop is Sälen, Trysil, Kvitfjell, Skeikampen, Hafjell. (last 3 places are all the same Lillehammer valley pass and can be done from the same base).
I live in the sticks in Småland and see the lights several times a year, I never stay up late deliberately though just hoping, no background light is the key to our success. Spaceweather dot com is good for predications.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks summo, just got back, did 3 days in branäs, 1 in trysil and 1 in a place near torsby, wasnt alpine but i wasnt expecting it to be, but luckily we had a heavy snow every night so had pure powder all day everyday. Trysil was pretty impressive though!
Callum
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@treeslayer, you dropped lucky with Trysil. Not much snow all year until about a week ago. Sounds like you had a good time....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
only managed a day their as it was a couple of hours away, the black side of the mountain was fun, especially as some of them hadnt been pisted at all and were supposed to be closed!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@treeslayer, cool. Was that the part of the mountain which has about 6 black runs down one slope?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's the one
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy