Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a 4yr old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I have purchased a pair of skis for my sons Xmas (he's just turned 4). Vital stats - 105cm tall, around 22kg or 23kg (he's quite a solid wee chap!) Anyway, the skis I purchased earlier in the year, however I may have been a little ambitious with regards the length - they are 100cm. I also have a pair of skis that are 90cm long, so not too sure which to put him on when we go on holiday... So far he's had around 7 or 8 lessons, can happily make his way down the slope at the local freezer snowploughing, can turn and can control his speed (to a point). Height would say 90-95cm skis, weight would say 100cm skis. Thoughts appreciated?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've steered away from buying skis for my kids (9 & 5) for the simple reason they grow so fast. I think hiring is the way to go as I'll only get one season out of anything: clothing, boots, skis, poles. You name it, they'll grow out of em
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
100cm are way too long at this stage. It will hinder his progression as he will find transitioning to parallel very hard. Even 90cm are a tad longer than he needs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will happily buy my kids skis when they are 18 (they are now 2 and 7), till then: hire , learn, destroy!
happy shredding
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We hired skis and boots for the season last year for my son (6 years old at the time), but we live in Sweden and do lots of long weekend trips which easily paid off. He was around 120cm tall then and had 110cm twin tips. So 100cm for your 4 year old does sound a bit long.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ac505, At that age skis need to between chest and chin height - they generally don't have the strength and control to manage nose height until they a bit older/more experienced. I would have thought the 90cm should be a decent fit (we don't generally need go below 87cm for even the littlest at our dry slope). Unless he has a huge growing spurt he 100cm ones should be OK for next season. And contrary to others I find it very economical to buy skis for (grand)children, having just sold a pair of 107s for £18 less than I paid new, and that is after two holidays for 2 different granddaughters.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ac505, I have a 3yo, exactly the same stats as your son. He's had dozens of lessons now and we keep him on 90cm. Just bought him some 100s for crimbo but he's won't use them for a few months until he is parallel.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all, 90's it is then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ac505, Why are you buying skis? Even if you live in the Alps all season and get free ski carriage when returning home I question the wisdom of buying. Just hire. At that age it makes so much more sense.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@ac505, Why are you buying skis? Even if you live in the Alps all season and get free ski carriage when returning home I question the wisdom of buying. Just hire. At that age it makes so much more sense.

He's already got the skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Some,kids/parents like to have their own. My lad has his own, I know he will grow out of them each year, but for £80 its just one of his crimbo presents and he loves them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would also go for shorter. My 4 year old daugthers use 80cm. The older one switched to 100 at 5 years.
I find buying easier. Bought them used for 20-30 eur each pair and they last two seasons. Plus one pair stays in the house for the younger kids. It is also a convenience as we live in the Alps. If we were flying, I might prefer renting.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu wrote:

I read this a lot on here but I completely disagree. My son has had his own kit since not long after his first lessons. The initial stuff - boots, skis, poles, helmet (too small for him) - was an absolute bargain bought on Gumtree. Since then I've bought new but always managed to get a good price for his old kit. The Gumtree bargain was sold on for more than I paid.

He has been skiing for less than 3 years and at the age of 8 has owned/still owned 5 pairs of skis. His current quiver is 2 x Salomon RACE SL Jr (1 pair for training and another "race/snow" pair) and a pair of K2 Juvys.

I find having his own kit has a number of benefits: (1) he 'knows' his own kit and what it/he can do with it. (2) it saves an enormous amount of faffing the indoor or outdoor slopes or when in-resort.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ac505, Is he not using one of your pairs in the fridge already? Or is he using their's? If so, what size are they, that should give you a good idea.

And we too buy our kids skis. It easily costs in when doing multiple trip per year, saves all the rental hassle and I've never seen anyone who hires decent kids skis - do they sent them out blunt without wax and too low release settings on purpose? Younger son started on (I think) 80cm skis - smallest we could find - at age 2, and now aged 8 is just about to move on from his 120cm Elan SCXs onto probably a 126cm Dynastar Team Omeglass. By comparison, his big brother (14) is now on adult skis, as he kept breaking the junior versions rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another parent who buys their little'uns their owns skis and boots from the word go. It's not expensive as it all ex rental gear until they start skiing respectably well. They love having their own kit, and learning to look after it etc. And if you ski a few times a year it works out cheaper!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy