Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow - come on !!

Poster: A snowHead
Just took advantage of the free snowforecast day to browse the next week's deposits and it's looking as bad as my own reading of the BBC 5 day atlantic pressure chart and the chamonix meteo predict - ie. pas de precipitation.

I'm off to Les Arcs at the end of the month, and although theres a thinish looking base I was hoping for a few days off-piste. At the moment only the gravel will be covered up !

And if it does snow, on top of such old snow there'll be terrible instability...

Depressed ?? You bet...find me a (real) forecast to cheer me up please.

d
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A couple of the long-range forecasts indicate snow around the 23rd, but nothing before then.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tell me about it Crying or Very sad

I was planning to go to Les Arcs this weekend for off piste skiing but have now postponed until next weekend in the hope for more snow....not good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pendodave, no can do I'm afraid - clear blue skies due to high pressure for the predictable future (which at the moment seems about 4-5 days to me) - after that there is considerable disagreement on the models so I am trying (and failing) to ignore anything after then.

I'm in Les Arcs as well at the end of the month so fingers crossed too - last year if I remember rightly, high pressure dominated from New Year as well and ended on Tues 18th Jan with about 70cm between then and the Sunday - we arrived Saturday 22nd Jan and had great conditions from Monday on so I'm hoping for a repeat. Sad Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Having a look round the forecasts, there is indeed something predicted to happen from 23rd onwards..although again it depends on what forecast you look at. All I want to see is the High move away so at least it gives a chance of something happening from the skies above!
That High cant hang around for the whole season, can it?? Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stu20vt wrote:
there is indeed something predicted to happen from 23rd onwards..although again it depends on what forecast you look at.

It's also nearly two weeks away, so the reliability of forecasts that far out is at a very low level. Just keep talking nicely to the snowGods and I'm sure that we'll get another top up. Currently there's lots of good snow to be found around Les Arcs, especially if you avoid the busier pistes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which are the busier pistes Rob? Just so we know where to go Smile

Hoping to make it dowen to Villa roger one day - also one day over the big lift in La Plagne maybe
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm in Arc for the last week of Jan too - bring on the new snow snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yep I'm looking to the sky for some freshies before the 21st Jan which is when I will be starting my week away, don't you just hate a big fat high deflecting all the weather bearing fronts grrrrrrrrr!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt wrote:
Which are the busier pistes Rob? Just so we know where to go Smile

Hoping to make it dowen to Villa roger one day

Should be okay to get down to Villaroger as it does not get over skied and only gets the sun in the mornings. Get there for lunch at the Ferme, trip back into the main circuit should not take too long providing all the chairs are running.

I am in 'wait' mode until our trip out to Villaroger on 25th March - it will snow again before then I am sure Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is anyone NOT going to Les Arcs at the end of Jan ??!

fwiw, the chamonix meteo today suggests the 'possibility' of a perturbation passing through on Tuesday. Looks a bit of wishful thinking to me though...

However, I was talking to the lady at the International Ski School there today and she seemed moderatly upbeat about the state of the snow. Has anyone skied with a guide there called Philipe ? She mentioned that he led their off-piste day trips which I'm thinking of hooking up with

d
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pendodave wrote:

Me! Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
me Crying or Very sad

rob is undoubtably the expert but for busy/icy/to be avoided I would say:
Try and avoid dropping back into the 1800 base, or 1600, on blues. The join where you can get over to vallanry from 1800 gets a bit icy and the top 100m or so of the villaroger red (take the black) due to heavy traffic - other than that I had no problems (last jan, and the one before).

aj xx
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well the 23rd would be OK as I'm off on 28th.

What do these models say for the Eastern part of the Alps, in particular Italy???????
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pendodave wrote:

I'm not, but I am going to Zermatt on the 28th Jan Smile
latest report
Solution: come to Whistler instead snowHead
snow report
Where are you all going for your long range forecasts and models?

The only reasonably professional fre to air one I could find easily was this one:

http://www.ecmwf.int/
ski holidays
I normally use this site - this winter they have been reasonably accurate.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/map/vor/euro/n.htm
latest report
Well the forecasts suggest the high will shift North East and allow some precipitation to get down to the Alps - it first showed on the GFS model run at midnight on Wednesday and has been there for the four runs since so must have a reasonable chance of coming off?.

Looks like some snow from Monday night on and off for perhaps a couple of days with France and then Italy doing best but its still three days away so anything can happen rolling eyes after that it looks as though high pressure will return but still low confidence on anything that far ahead.
snow report
Looking at the link above there appears to be a little bit of precipitation around next week but then a lot of sites are predicting high pressure so I am going to leave my week in Alpe D'huez in the laps of the snow gods!
latest report
In spending 5yrs in the Les arcs area , the weather forecast is seldom correct . You can half trust the 2-3 forecast but all the long term stuff is pure fiction as is everything on snow-forecast.com, that site is the pits. Usually most Paragliding site's give the best information as going up in dodgy weather could be your last , it's pretty common place for one resort to have a dump and another only in the next valley to have nothing . Try the American Army European weather charts, being the military they usually pick up most weather systems fairly accurately , there's a link on pistehors.com.
ski holidays
From metcheck http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/

"Alps drought near end"
snow conditions
Bring it on
ski holidays
The goat worked then. Great things these snow gods!!! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
There was a VERY thin layer on our garden this morning (no it wasn't frost!)
ski holidays
Lorraine, Not a piece of polystyrene blowing about itn the wind all night? wink
latest report
Definately no hydrocarbons in that just H20 Very Happy
snow conditions
I normally use http://www.lematin.ch/nwmatinhome/nwmatinmeteo.html and never believe it unless I see it for myself if they forecast snow for Thursday Friday only
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From the various cams looks like the weather changing in the alps. Fairly cloudy now, high pressure looks like being pushed out.
ski holidays
I just put on the Snow reports forum that snow is landing and lying down to 400m around Lac Leman
snow conditions
it's snowing in the Beaufortain, and has been off and on all day, but just lightly, it doesn't really mean it. Not too hopeful that we will awake to a transformed world. But practically all pistes throughout the Espace Diamant are open and in good condition and even a few centimetres of snow will leave them good for another week, skinutter. But no off-piste.
snow report
Thanks Pam, I'll just be happy to be there!!!!! I was hoping for a good dump before we got out there though or better still while we are there - who knows at least conditions are pretty decent already!
latest report
The waiting is over for Austria. Snow and ice rain coming in from the west tonight and significant snowfalls lasting into Wednesday Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy