Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Boots Ankle Pain

AMidlandsSkier
AMidlandsSkier
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (but not skiing!) and have found the information available on here very useful in my search for new ski boots however I have run into an issue that the search function can't seem to help with, hopefully someone here will be able to help.

I have tried some Salomon X-Pro boots on that had been heated up and moulded to my feet. However after this had been done I was still experiencing quite bad ankle pain (when leaning forward in the boots) on the rear part of my outside ankle bone (lateral malleolus) and the same problem on my inside ankle bone.

The boots had superfeet insoles in which seemed to support my feet.

I have never had my own ski boots before so I'm not sure when they are meant to feel like when you first have them but I am sure they're not meant to hurt!

Even with tinkering the bootfitters couldn't seem to be able to get rid of this pain. I am returning in a couple of days to try again but I was hoping that someone here would be able to give me some advice before I went back.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a similar problem on the inside ankle bone (no idea what it's called). Had the shell stretched a little and that sorted it.
Hopefully one of our bootfitters will come along and give their opinion.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AMidlandsSkier wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (but not skiing!) and have found the information available on here very useful in my search for new ski boots however I have run into an issue that the search function can't seem to help with, hopefully someone here will be able to help.

I have tried some Salomon X-Pro boots on that had been heated up and moulded to my feet. However after this had been done I was still experiencing quite bad ankle pain (when leaning forward in the boots) on the rear part of my outside ankle bone (lateral malleolus) and the same problem on my inside ankle bone.

The boots had superfeet insoles in which seemed to support my feet.

I have never had my own ski boots before so I'm not sure when they are meant to feel like when you first have them but I am sure they're not meant to hurt!

Even with tinkering the bootfitters couldn't seem to be able to get rid of this pain. I am returning in a couple of days to try again but I was hoping that someone here would be able to give me some advice before I went back.

Thanks!

Good luck. I bought the same boots fitted from a "good" boot fitter including a foot bed and he never was able to sort out the excruciating pain on my ankle bones. Ended up buying proper fitting boots in resort from an "excellent" boot fitter and have never been happier.
Some boot fitters get it right, some don't.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jerby, Agreed-a few years ago, had boots fitted at a place often mentioned on here as I suffer from prominent bony ankles-they were OK for a bit but didn't really solve the problem of quite excruciating pain which came back. I then got another pair fitted at Profeet which have been nigh-on perfect. My mate also got boots fitted at the same time as me at the first place and they have been great for him since then. Some you win...
snow report
 AMidlandsSkier
AMidlandsSkier
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure that the boots don't hurt before I leave! Sounds like the shells need to be stretched.

From what I understand it isn't an unsolvable problem though and it is reasonable to expect no soreness when buying new boots?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@AMidlandsSkier, how long have you skied on them? I think it's reasonable to expect some pain in the first 3 days, and discomfort in the first week. Then they sort themselves out - or not, and you go back. If they are really painful and it's been more than 3 days then I'd go back to the fitter for adjustments. They should be able to sort it out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AMidlandsSkier, what you must be cautious of is stretching a boot to deal with a "symptom" rather than the problem... a term we often use (question we ask) when people talk about "rubbing"... the boot is "rubbing on my ankle bone" is it rubbing i.e. moving or actually pressing?..... pressing is resolved by expanding the shell, removing material form the liner etc etc...RUBBING is dealt with by giving more support with a better insole to reduce pronation further without blocking the natural flexion of the joints of the foot, tightening buckles or looking at a different shell shape

it also amazes me the number of people who have a problem with a boot and instead of working with the fitter to resolve it just go to another shop??? ski boot fitting is a process, it is not a one hit fix all, instant gratification is not always possible when you are trying to put the human foot into a plastic shell.... it is very easy for a second shop to learn from what didn't work the first time round and provide a "near perfect" solution
ski holidays
 AMidlandsSkier
AMidlandsSkier
CEM wrote:
@AMidlandsSkier, what you must be cautious of is stretching a boot to deal with a "symptom" rather than the problem... a term we often use (question we ask) when people talk about "rubbing"... the boot is "rubbing on my ankle bone" is it rubbing i.e. moving or actually pressing?..... pressing is resolved by expanding the shell, removing material form the liner etc etc...RUBBING is dealt with by giving more support with a better insole to reduce pronation further without blocking the natural flexion of the joints of the foot, tightening buckles or looking at a different shell shape

it also amazes me the number of people who have a problem with a boot and instead of working with the fitter to resolve it just go to another shop??? ski boot fitting is a process, it is not a one hit fix all, instant gratification is not always possible when you are trying to put the human foot into a plastic shell.... it is very easy for a second shop to learn from what didn't work the first time round and provide a "near perfect" solution

Thanks for the advice, the boots haven't been bought yet. I'm trying to find out what to expect from the fitting before I buy the boots. It was a pressure from the boot on the back side of my ankle not a rubbing, which I did tell the boot fitter but they seemed unable to fix the problem. So it does sound like it is a problem that they should be able to fix so I'm unsure as to why the have not.

Again thanks to everyone for the help, I'll have a chat with the boot fitters.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally I'd be inclined to go somewhere else.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy