Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross-country skiing novice query

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As my alpine skiing will be slowed to family speed this year, I thought I'd make up for it by having a go at cross-country in the evenings (floodlit).

Only ever tried cross country once about 20 years ago, so wondering what's best to take to wear and if I should hire equipment from Intersport or just buy cheap shoes/skis/poles in the Austrian supermarket?

Got loads of cycling kit like thermal longs and fleecy tops which I think might be better to wear than the normal alpine stuff which presume gets too hot?

Cheers for any advice!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roberto,
I haven't done much x country but nowadays there are two types with slightly different equipment you can either do skating or classic. Skating is a bit faster and probablymore fun but a couple of lessons may help as it is alittle more technical. My guess is winter cycling gear would be fine definately something windproof and gloves.
Personally I would hire before buying to decide which type to get, you can also decide whether to go fish scales or waxing for the base. But as I say I am very much anovice at it but really enjoyed what I did and have a set in the garage for when it snows (No luck recently Crying or Very sad )

Hope you enjoy it snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roberto,
Quote:

Only ever tried cross country once about 20 years ago, so wondering what's best to take to wear and if I should hire equipment from Intersport or just buy cheap shoes/skis/poles in the Austrian supermarket?

They are going to have to be very cheap to be less than hiring and if they are they are likely to be of very poor quality and may compromise your enjoyment.
For example I hired in Norway a couple of years ago and was charged AFAIR £35 for a weeks hire skis boots and poles. Wax for the expected temps was extra (here a tub of wax is £3.50). Hire skis not in Norway may well be crown (fishscale pattern under the foot to grip the snow) which will avoid the cost of wax and the decision of which wax to put on.

I've purchased skis boots etc recently
I paid £88 delivered for a basic pair of skis and bindings from telemark pyrenees cheap crown skis for use as rockhoppers in Scotland; £60 for a pair of Fischer boots, but these are mid range combi boots, fairly stiff so I can use them for skate aswell as classic and for rollerskiing; £25 for Swix alu light poles for classic (I've got another pair on order for skate). All but the boots are the cheap end of available kit so I would have thought hiring (at least initially would be most sensible.
Quote:

Got loads of cycling kit like thermal longs and fleecy tops which I think might be better to wear than the normal alpine stuff which presume gets too hot?

Probably. I always tend to wear too much, get too hot and have to shed lots of gear. I like to have lots of warm kit with me if going any distance just in case I get lost, but if you skiing flood lit Luiper getting lost shouldn't be a problem and cycle gear should be fine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for all that, I didn't even know the difference between the wax/fish scale bases! Think I'll check out the hire shop first to see how I get on, as you suggest.

The floodlit cross country trail has a little tent at the start which I think may be for just leaving gear (overcoats etc?), so I can strip down to my cycling clothes!

Thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy