Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HELMETs, PLEASE wear them

Poster: A snowHead
@martinm, not sure I get your point, but I suspect that we do all have cars with front seat airbags. I make it a point to always walk on the pavement if there are cars around. Have you ever seen the result of a car v's child RTA? It's not actually a laughing matter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny Jones wrote:
Pruman wrote:
martinm wrote:
No thanks.

+1

Somebody else's accident isn't reason to change behaviour.

Am I alone in thinking that Darwin's theories might have some relevance here?

Your not all JJ Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
People get hit by cars, albeit rarely. How many pedestrians do you see wearing helmets? It's all about about risk perception, awareness, management and acceptance. Years ago I used to do some very risky climbing / mountaineering but I was very aware of what I was letting myself in for. I cycle with a helmet but ski without one. This is due to the fact that I am less in control of my destiny on the roads of south-east England than I am in a ski area, especially off-piste. It's an inherently personal thing. Other people might have an entirely opposite opinion.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rareperk wrote:
Have you ever seen the result of a car v's child RTA? It's not actually a laughing matter.

No. But that's exactly my point. Singling out cycling/skiing as 'must wear helmets cos it's dangerous' is daft when many more 'normal' activities can have the same risk.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
many more 'normal' activities can have the same risk.

Actually a far worse risk. Skiing is one of the safer sports. Worth a gander at www.ski-injury.com

Quote:
The number of skiing or snowboarding fatalities (per million participants) is in fact less than the number of fatalities from swimming or bicycling. According to the most recently available data from 2006, there were 2.07 skiing/snowboarding fatalities per million participants, whereas there were 29.4 bicycling fatalities per million participants, and 72.7 swimming fatalities per million participants (Source - National Sporting Goods Association (Sports Participation, 2007 edition), National Safety Council (Injury Facts, 2008 edition)

In fact, twice as many people die from being struck by lightning than suffer a fatality from skiing or snowboarding in the US (Source - “Injury Facts,” National Safety Council, 2008 edition)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
danmar94 wrote:
Who here would do this without a helmet?

http://youtube.com/v/1siF8cG7C6w

I wouldn't do it at all. I don't do that kind of skiing either.

Quote:
The addition of snow and ice makes it safer?

Having fallen on snow and on gravel, I can report that snow does you less damage and the limits of turning on snow and even ice are more predictable than the limits on loose gravel.

There's a point here, which is that people do different levels of skiing and what's appropriate protection at one level may be over the top at another. It's about personal choice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what about back proctectors, when will they become uniform too? I disagree with the comment that 95% of austria seem to wear helmets, perhaps it depends on the resort? I know my trip last year, it certainly wasn't 9 out of every 10 wearing helmets, a lot wore them but certainly nowhere near that figure.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@biddpyat, I wear a helmet and back protector, so does my 3yo and neither of us will place a foot on the mountain without.

Each to their own after all it is your life, family etc etc but I just cant see any good reason not to wear them when for the sake of a few ££ they could (and I state could) save you from injury/death.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe we shouldn't leave the safety of the sofa?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nelly0168, Ah but then youll die due to becoming morbidly obese! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@nelly0168, Ah but then youll die due to becoming morbidly obese! Toofy Grin

Good point, as I can't risk walking to the pizza shop and have to have it delivered - by a guy wearing a helmet......phew Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nelly0168, Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You see there you have it , proctect your head by all means, and your back, after all broken ribs can puncture internal organs and you could bleed out quicker than die of a head injury. Then think of broken bones, which if the fat in the marrow gets into the blood can cause death in a short length of time. So we could all go down the mountain like iron man. However some choose not to do so, they make up their own minds on risk factor etc. Even stepping into a shower can cause TBI, and broken neck. So it depends on what you consider the risk to be.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed. I choose to protect myself how I see fit, others have that right to choose their own level of protection.

I notice its mostly blokes who refuse to use protection on this thread - seems to be an ongoing theme...... And that's why we need Jeremy Kyle Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy That ran through my mind earlier, but then again it is different strokes, for different folks. I am a wool hat wearer, and to quote mrs browne, as useful as a knitted condom. Laughing.
snow report
@biddpyat,

Haha I was going to make reference to how many blokes here would sleep with a whore without protection and see if the same people who didn't believe in protection still did, however it would have gone very off topic lol
snow report
well, going off topic sometimes makes a dull thread funny. With so little snow, and reports on trips, there is little to keep me entertained so I am reading everything. ( almost)
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
@biddpyatI just cant see any good reason not to wear them

I don't like wearing them. Plus I like the 'wind in my hair'. Keep going and at this rate you'll be skiing in your lounge on a Wii cos it's safer

PaulC1984 wrote:
@biddpyatI notice its mostly blokes who refuse to use protection

Very agressive wording - 'choose' would be more accurate. And there's probably more blokes on Snowheads
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
martinm wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
@biddpyatI just cant see any good reason not to wear them

I don't like wearing them. Plus I like the 'wind in my hair'. Keep going and at this rate you'll be skiing in your lounge on a Wii cos it's safer

PaulC1984 wrote:
@biddpyatI notice its mostly blokes who refuse to use protection

Very agressive wording - 'choose' would be more accurate. And there's probably more blokes on Snowheads
Toofy Grin

haha

aggressive perception not meant.

Wind in your hair is fine, thats anyones choice - my choice is to protect myself

I dont get the whole ''at this rate you'll be skiing in your lounge on a Wii cos it's safer'' - thats the biggest load of poo poo

Anyone who goes off piste without AVI kit is a moron and danger to those around them yet anyone who chooses to wear a helmet on piste is a pussy and over protective - go figure??!! rolling eyes
snow report
@biddpyat,
Quote:

I am a wool hat wearer, and to quote mrs browne, as useful as a knitted condom

Sorry to hear she feels that way about you Very Happy
latest report
Now added to the community's helmetHeads thread Toofy Grin
snow report
In terms of avoidable risk we would almost certainly better off persuading people to not eat the charcuterie than to wear a helmet.
Personal opinions I wear one but largely because of peer group pressure rather than any obvious need.
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
Anyone who goes off piste without AVI kit is a moron and danger to those around them
I've skied off piste without kit many times. Low angle terrain, low avalanche risk, maybe through trees. Perfectly safe, for me and everyone around me. Just like helmet wearing there is no "one answer" which is correct all the time, for everyone.
snow conditions
Quote:
Last year's Aldi lid had plenty of ventilation
This year's too. Just bought one (my first helmet) & tried it out ski touring at Cairngorm, two days ago:
- Very drafty (eg round neck and brow) vs a wooly hat - will be wearing a thin cycling hat on cold days.
- Didn't notice it once it was on.
- Nice and light.
- Very comfortable.
- Didn't look too much like a kn**head human cannonball/Frank Spencer stunt double as I'd feared.
- Now converted (after nearly 28 helmetless years' skiing).
- And all for under 20 quid.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I respect people's rights not to be told what to do.
We are all adults, we are aware of the risks and consequences of our actions and inactions. ( And some of us modify their behaviours as we see fit ).
The only reason I think other people should wear helmets is that I once had to share a small apartment in Avoriaz with somebody suffering from concussion / mbi ( caused by falling over stood still at the side of the piste, and hitting his head on some ice), and I did not sleep for 3 nights as they lay in bed bitching about it every night until the end of the trip.
The first night was spent complaining about head pain accompanied by paranoia about dying in their sleep, the next two nights they complained about pain and ringing in their ears, and aching in the upper body.
Although on night 3 they came much closer to not seeing morning than they imagined, as the rest of us were on the point of turning the dying-in-the-sleep-thing into a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Do as you see fit, but please do not whinge about the outcome.
snow report
Quote:

how many blokes here would sleep with a whore without protection

I'd need an armed guard if Mrs B caught me doing that
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
Anyone who goes off piste without AVI kit is a moron and danger to those around them
I've skied off piste without kit many times. Low angle terrain, low avalanche risk, maybe through trees. Perfectly safe, for me and everyone around me. Just like helmet wearing there is no "one answer" which is correct all the time, for everyone.

Summed up nicely.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am 6'4" and like to drink in old pubs. If there was ever an activity I should be wearing an helmet for that would be it!
snow conditions
smith vantage is great helmet with superb ventilation
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
I am 6'4" and like to drink in old pubs. If there was ever an activity I should be wearing an helmet for that would be it!

Haha good one, i seem to recall my 42nd bday in a vermont ski bar when around 9ish my friend made me put my helmet on for the latter part of the evening, who knows what might have happened otherwise ???
snow conditions
Member of our family injured in Courchevel yesterday by a reckless French teenager. She is an instructor who was teaching a children's group at the time with 2 other groups from the same ski school nearby. The teenager hit her at speed and she did a backflip. Luckily she was wearing a helmet which was damaged so she was taken to hospital in a neck brace for assessment and luckily no long term damage. Skis broken and she will not be allowed to work for some time. The pisteurs came quickly and got the teenager involved. Hopefully her insurance will at least sue him for loss of earnings and compensation but it may be he will also be prosecuted. One of the children she or the others were teaching could have been killed at the speed the guy must have been travelling. So the moral is HELMETS PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR THEM.
The teenager or parents will need to have insurance to cover all the costs she needs compensated for. There are people going far too fast in the conditions at present - we were there just a week ago. Someone skiing that fast next to children's lesson groups is completely irresponsible.
latest report
Quote:

So the moral is HELMETS PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR THEM.

NO! go and take a hike with your preaching
ski holidays
If you are not fit to drive a car after a couple of beers then surely you are not safe to ski? Why arent we banning people from having a couple of drinks at lunchtime in the name of safety? By the way I am a helmet Toofy Grin (wearer)
latest report
mogulski wrote:
Member of our family injured in Courchevel yesterday by a reckless French teenager.

That is the most convincing anecdote I've heard. People randomly crashing into me is the biggest worry I have skiing.
snow report
Is it just your freedom of choice that you are defending? If so, i'd die defending that right. But in terms of is it safer to wear a helmet or not, it's a pretty open and shut case. No matter how good you are, there's always someone that will ski out of control and cause accidents.

I now wear a helmet, i'm 52 and fear of injury seems to creep up on you as the years pass. I've also witnessed recent collisions and those that wear a lid seem to fair better.

It is a simple choice matter and I do think we should all just agree to disagree. I don't think any less or more of a skier that does or doesn't wear a helmet, we are all bound by our love of the sport and the mountains.

Just be careful out there and enjoy yourself. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

. So the moral is HELMETS PLEASE ALWAYS WEAR THEM.

Actually the moral from this tale is to ski in control.
It is a personal and frankly minimal risk if any one is taking by not wearing a helmet. The risk is very much too others if you ski out of control.
snow conditions
@Mogulski - awfully sad news about your family member, I hope they make a speedy recovery, but I would not worry as to whether the teenager is insured or not.
The ski-school for whom she was working would have professional insurance which covers the staff and their welfare whilst at work.
Furthermore, for any additional costs not met by the Ski-school insurance, then if the teenager happens to be French, the family will have "Partie Civile" liability insurance as this is a legal requirement for access to education in France.

Just out of interest, under what part of the Code Civile / Penal are the Police going to seek a prosecution?
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
mogulski wrote:
Member of our family injured in Courchevel yesterday by a reckless French teenager.

That is the most convincing anecdote I've heard. People randomly crashing into me is the biggest worry I have skiing.

Same here. No matter how in control you are you can't stop an out of control idiot crashing into you.
latest report
nelly0168 wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
I don't think that banging the back of your head is that unusual.
Its not, but most back of head injuries are beginner snowboarders, most side of the head injuries are beginner skiers, both as a result of where they tend to naturally fall while learning.

Wear what you like but the crack in the back of my helmet saved me too. Only time I have bounced my head off the hard snow that way but once is enough. Happened within 10mins of starting a holiday whilst I was on a simple green run, just caught an edge and next thing I know I am on my back. Never done it since. Spent the next couple of weeks with whiplash too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy