Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan and Whitedot Directors

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Spending 10 days in Niseko come Jan - and the new ski monkey is well and truly on my back.

Do I purchase some superfats (which I've secretly always wanted) or stick with my Whitedot Directors (which I already love)?

Decisions, decisions..... Although I'm probably asking the wrong people! I do know the rules, after all!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How tall/heavy are you?

Which generation Directors do you have and what length are they?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll have oodles of fun on something like a director if you don't go for a fattie: 8 years ago I had the time of my life in the best snow Fernie had experienced for 20 years...on a pair of 78mm waisted Scott Aztec Pros. Flex pattern and shape more important than just width IMHO. Having said that, I'm doing the same thing in February and caved in immediately to the new ski monster... wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
120mm + if you want to do it properly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm just about to head up the slopes in Niseko on Directors. 30cm new powder. They are just fine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
178cm and about 85kg.

I have the first directors in a 188; like I say I love the skis, and sure I'll have a blast but as my new location is in Asia I'll be in Japow and NZ 2/3 times a year.
It's less about whether the skis can take it - clearly 99% the skill of the skier and I'm sure I'd have a blast but the 120mm+ brigade is calling!
Question is would they be that much more fun to justify them?!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As it's not a one-off trip to Japow, I'd say go large Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you need to go for a wide ski for skiing the amazing powder snow that you often find in Niseko? I've not skied the Directors but I'm sure they will be fine for typical conditions. When I've skied in Niseko mostly I've been on Head Rev90s (90mm underfoot, regular camber, fairly soft) and I never felt the need for anything bigger. It was nice to "get in deep".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So many fatties available 2nd hand right now if you are going several times madness not to get a pair and QK them to you existing bindings and take both pairs. In the last couple of months Ive seen DPS Lotus 120s, the Redeemer Carbonlite, Down 0's on th classifieds at interesting prices...If you can't get them in time at least arrange to rent some proper fat skis. You will come away understanding why snowboarders get so excited!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
joe1890 wrote:

Oh yes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They also flatter your skiing and make life easier, unless you're a guru like Rob (who doesn't need the help of fat skis) wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
joe1890 wrote:
178cm and about 85kg.

I have the first directors in a 188; like I say I love the skis, and sure I'll have a blast but as my new location is in Asia I'll be in Japow and NZ 2/3 times a year.
It's less about whether the skis can take it - clearly 99% the skill of the skier and I'm sure I'd have a blast but the 120mm+ brigade is calling!

I spent 3 and a half weeks on Hokkaido a couple of years back, with one pair of 118mm skis and one pair of 135mm skis.

The 135mm skis were more fun. wink

FWIW they're also regularly more fun in the Alps too - you just need <20cms fresh snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, ha, you've never seen me ski powder wink

If the snow is really nice I like to be in it. If the snow is really horrid I need to be on top of it. Japow tends to the former, so I didn't bother much with the fatter skis I took with me (119mm underfoot, with a reasonable size tip rocker) as my narrower skis were more than enough fun in the relatively benign snow that I mostly had in Niseko.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, Yes, there is definitely a difference depending on the density of the pow!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Consensus seems to be fat skis for the win. Would also scratch an itch for super fat skis that I've had for a while... QK'd up its almost like they're not a whole new set anyway. Right?!
snow conditions
Scratch the itch Toofy Grin I got paid a compliment earlier this year skiing some difficult snow, along the lines of wow or something, I said it wasn't my "skill", it was the extra 20mm of ski that did it, if it's easier in crap snow, it's easier in good snow too, go figure...............
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy