Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Offpiste ski for petit female

Poster: A snowHead
Some advice to buy a offpiste ski for 19 year old female 159 cm, 44 kg been skiing for 13 years 2-3 weeks a year? Should be able do be used a bit on piste.

Will there be difference in ski for powder on Hokkaido and more heavy snow in Nagano? Puzzled

The ski will mainly be for offpiste, as other ski will be used for pisteskiing (at the moment Rossignol Attraxtion 6 Echo 2012 model).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitedot Director 161cm
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see your point: "Whitedot skis & technical hoodies (UK's largest dealer)" Madeye-Smiley

But any other reason? Does the lightness of the snow has to do with the choice of ski? Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He does sell them, but he's not wrong. The Director is a lovely ski and I only wish I was in a position to be taking mine to Hokkaido!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just joking, and trying to trigger more answers - its not really my world - should she buy in Japan - more likely to finde shorter skiis?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hyst, I'm taking 2 pairs of DPS skis when I go to Hokkaido in Feb. So maybe something like the DPS Yvette 112 in 158cm or even the 168cm, as they have large rockers.

Maybe worth contacting Mike Pow, as he is a Japanese Powder expert.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
don't leave it to buy whilst in japan , especially if heading to nagano first , as choice is a bit limited , when we were in nagano i skied my everyday all mountain skis everywhere , but for hokiado theres a better rental choice and some of the local younger girls were on what looked like two small snowboards when the fresh snow fell . so maybe get a new pair of all mountain skis rockered ski around 95mm underfoot for everyday and for euro skiing in the future that you will get loads of use out of , and then rent some powder boards when out there Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PowderAdict, Thanks for your suggestions - may I ask about your weight?
.-
@Dabber, She plans to go for a hole year, so renting is not an option, she is a newcomer to offpiste and I can not advice her in that world. What kind of "small snoboards" did they use? wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about Liberty Envy skis. I have a pair in 167. Skied them everywhere on and off piste last year. Despite the width they are really versatile. I'm 165cm and 61kg. Love them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hyst, they were mainly amarda skis jj"s and the like and as the local young girls are very small in stature when they are on a ski thats <150cm long and 125mm+ wide it does just look like theys straped two small snowboards to the feet !! , but i would have a look at the director as above or kastle bmx series or cham 2.0 both do women specific models. and all perform well on piste as well as in the powder .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saloon q88 would do the job. my daughter is 20, basi 2, weighs 50 kilos, uses them offpiste extensively. I would not bother with anything wider at her weight. if you can get AT bindings and skins it would be useful in Hokkaido as it opens up some more terrain
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everybody - have not had time, but will study your suggestions. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My favourite ever powder skis that I've tried were Atomic Automatics (I think they were 180cm but you can get them shorter I think), they made life so, so much easier than my Volkl Aura's (163cm) in the powder, prevented me getting tired, most I've every enjoyed skiing. They were good in slightly heavier, deeper snow, but not so hot on piste (Aura's are much better than Automatics on piste and in icy off piste, i think because they are much stiffer). I'm 63kg and 168cm, if that helps. Might be worth adding to your list of skis for her to look at
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
She has a piste ski and is going to Hokkaido, so there is no need at all to limit her to 90mm all mountain skis as suggested above - she doesn't need a compromise that will keep icy groomers enjoyable, as they don't exist in Japan.

Get her a pair of Völkl Ones (under €200 here: https://www.sport-bittl.com/de/voelkl-one-pink-14-15::43554.html) and she'll love you forever as she'll actually be able to surf (it's not just how much surface area you need to not sink, it's how the shape moves through the snow) powder properly rather than bounce through it like her grandma on on all the conventionally shaped skis above.

Edit: The Directors would also be a good shout.

Edit 2: Generally the heavier and denser the powder the more benefit you get from going wider.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Batman_123, @clarky999, Thanks for your help. The Völkl one looks interisting (discontinued moddel).
latest report
If not too late to comment again, i am just back from heliskiing with daughter in BC. she used an Armada Triple J ski for 4 days there, this is the kids ski versoin of the JJ owing to her weight and size. she is less than 50 Kilo weight and skis a 155 ski (probably similiar to your daughter). I still feel that these skis are wider than she needs as, at the weight you are talking, the skis are definitely on as opposed to 'in' the powder - but horses for courses etc.
snow report
Being "on" powder is ace as it means you are really surfing and you can use the shape of skis, your turn shape and weighting to dip in and out. I never quite get the appeal of being "in" the powder - it rather limits your options (& gets up your nose).
latest report
Quote:

I never quite get the appeal of being "in" the powder

you do get that lovely up and down feeling as the skis build a base and the tails fling you out of the snow as you unweight and turn
snow report
I've got some Directors in 167, they ski short due to the rocker but I really like them, enough float for even my 90kg frame. If we can sort logistics you are welcome to borrow them for the trip, for mainly offpiste I'd go with the 167, quite surprised there is a 161 in the range now with the rocker etc.

Open to offer if you wanted to buy them after 30th Jan.
ski holidays
@Digger the dinosaur, the current (2nd gen) Director is a totally different ski to the original version you have. It starts at 151cm length & goes up to 191cm in 10cm increments.
snow report
Other half swears by her scott vanishers.
snow conditions
Quote:

167, quite surprised there is a 161 in the range now with the rocker etc.

The 151 & 161 Gen2's are a wee bit different to the bigger sizes as well, 104mm underfoot to make them more manageable, really nice all rounder if you don't mind the width.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy