Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best face mask powder thingy

Poster: A snowHead
Anything out there that is particularly recommended that doesn't have a picture of chewbacca or a kitten's face on it?? I've always just pulled my buff up when it's been really cold but tends to get wet and soggy if used for any length of time so looking for something with a mouth hole that I can use for longer periods.

Thanks in advance Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you want Anon Mig/M2/M3 goggles with the magnetic buff. Game changer for me. http://www.anonoptics.com/goggles/mens/mig
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Airhole - yes, ok, some have stupid designs on them, but every one of their products comes in plain black or some sensible colourway... Not used personally but others I know rate them as essential kit. I'm normally more worried about losing heat as quick as possible rather than retaining it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Airhole or nothing in my world. They do plain ones if you are boring and that. Mine has been used for entire days at minus whatever, and easily pulled on and off as required.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why would you need one? I always have a jacket with a collar that can come up to my nose if required, but not required all that often.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Why would you need one? I always have a jacket with a collar that can come up to my nose if required, but not required all that often.

When, for example, it's so cold that your jacket/buff is pulled high enough to direct your breath through the vents in the bottom of your goggles where the moisture freezes onto the lenses. More of a problem with goggles with a larger field of vision which fit lower down the face.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Exposed skin... if it's below minus 20 or so most people use something. Personal choice, but even with a high collar I find something useful - I use the Dakine things which are more trad I suppose. Not sure I need magnets, although that's an interesting Rurock competitor.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the suggestions. I'd find skiing with my head inside my jacket a bit restrictive tbh Very Happy

I'm hoping that this year's trip to Japan will mean lots of face shots so might be nice not having to de-icicle the beard after every run snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@irie, a. it's rarely that cold in W. Europe and b. I find a high collar something less to worry about and something I always have with me.

@philwig, see a. above wink and also aren't you mostly warming yourself up in helos? Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, you're Scottish, right? wink I'm only half Scottish, but still seem able to (smugly) just deal with the cold when mates have to resort to bitching about it and fannying about with buffs and extra layers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My face masks only tend to come out at around -15C, when the wind chill makes it below -25C. What amazed me was my first time in Whistler, where when the temperature was about -3C, at least 1 in 3 had full face masks or full balaclavas.

Then again it is all down to body physiology, I mountain bike with someone who wears shorts, and complains of sweating when there is snow on the ground. I also understand that once your skin has suffered cold damage it is more susceptible to it in future.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, ha ha yes, I'm Scottish so a right softy compared to most Newcastle clubbers f'rinstance... Shock
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use the winter version of the buff, you could always pop a spare in your bag if it's wet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@@Dr John, these looks very interesting. Thought I had tried everything--full face masks, masks with vents, air holes, and even the Cold Avenger. http://coldavenger.com/. Also tried them all of these options with different goggles. I've never really had much success in very cold temps. Skied yesterday in -20 and it was a choice between frostnip or fogging. What sort of temps and conditions have you used these in? I am very tempted to give them a go.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never needed one in the alps, then again I'm Scottish and live in a farm house with no central heating...
ski holidays
It's been 8C this afternoon in Baqueira and there's still some that are rockin' face masks rolling eyes
snow report
I blame Candide wink
snow report
Dashed wrote:
I blame Candide wink
I spent a few minutes Googling Voltaire before I realised what you meant. Embarassed
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
It's been 8C this afternoon in Baqueira and there's still some that are rockin' face masks rolling eyes
Ha ha! Same in Les Arcs last week. You could tell them from a distance as they were constantly stopping to clear their goggles.
snow report
Plain black, cheap neoprene does the job for me. Mostly wear in Scotland, for wind chill. Lools similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281656643735
ski holidays
^oh, and I use a buff at the same time around the neck.
ski holidays
I carry a Cold Avenger for when it's really extreme. It works but is no miracle cure. The air-gap for the nose and mouth area is effective at stopping your breath condensing directly into liquid on your mask, but it can't cope when working hard. Other than that, I use a merino buff when the weather's not so extreme.
ski holidays
flicky wrote:
Plain black, cheap neoprene does the job for me.......

and me....!

Aldi do one for £6.99
snow report
I find a scraggly beard works wonders and doesn't cause your goggles to steam up. It looks awesome when encrusted with icicles too. snowHead
snow report
I can understand why some people choose to cover their faces when skiing on sunny days, the UV exposure is fierce out there and does little for your skin, even with SPF50. If it wasn't for goggle foggage I'd do the same.
snow conditions
@mcspreader, I'm capable of being a beard but I can't grow a beard...
ski holidays

This is what I'll be wearing this season, curtosy of my neice. She misunderstood my request for a Panama Hat.
snow report
Zero_G wrote:
I can understand why some people choose to cover their faces when skiing on sunny days, the UV exposure is fierce out there and does little for your skin, even with SPF50. If it wasn't for goggle foggage I'd do the same.

That's one of the reasons that I wore mine during Christmas week. Although I'm not ginger my skin is quite susceptible to burning so seemed the easiest way to avoid a goggle tan. Also found that in the shady, windy spots it was quite useful to have a buff to pull up over my mouth. I don't like being cold and don't get why there's a bravado about it with some people, it's like blokes that refuse to carry an umbrella if it's raining, what's so manly about being wet?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy