Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing/Boarding Near San Francisco/LA/Seattle in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Mid April likely I will have 2-3 days in either of the 3 above as stopover. Thinking of either going looking at a bridge and a jail in San Fran or then this dumb idea entered my head. Is there a resort close to any that would make it would taking gear to go 2 days snow boarding, less likely we would want to ski in mid April.

Ideas welcome.......................
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tahoe is about 5 hours away in the car, Kirkwood about 30 minutes further on, Mammoth another hour down the road. Problem is that the routes through the national parks are most likely still closed at that time of the year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, Crystal Mtn, couple of hours from Seattle. Not been but maybe worth asking about conditions.
http://skiwashington.com/resorts/

Toadman will know, he lives in Seattle. One to tick off the list without making a special trip. Tahoe can be saved for a full ski trip to experience all the areas. Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bones, yes, kind of a 'whats the most stupid thing we can do in 2 days' idea. Crystal Mountain does look like an option. Of the 3 locations Seattle seems to offer the best chance of some decent snow within a reasonable drive from the main airport
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tahoe is only about 3.5 hrs from SFO. Kirkwood probably best bet there as it's highest. Check closure dates. Otherwise Mammoth is traditionally a great late season bet, drive across Mojave from LA and try to visit the plane boneyard en route.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Crystal in the summer. No idea whether it still has snow at that time, but the terrain looked good and the views of Rainier from the top are splendid
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thefatcontroller, If you want an LA option, I went to Mammoth in April many years ago and very nice it was too.

We drove up to Tahoe for a day but I hated it, very tacky
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In a good snow year, which this seems to be for the west coast, Mammoth will be open until the 4th of July.

Tahoe is 3,5-4 hours, depending on where you are going in Tahoe. Bear in mind, just driving around the lake takes 3 hours, but that isn't necessary to get to the resorts - depends on the Freeway you take in. Kirkwood is about 2000 meters if I recall correctly, and comes with off the beaten path access... sometimes the roads getting to Kirkwood can be closed, and you have to drive around.

Late April, I'd book last minute...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's Mount Bachelor too which might be better positioned between Seattle and SF.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HeidiAmsterdam, you must mean 3 hours to totally drive around the lake Puzzled

As we were staying in Tahoe City and drove to Kirkwood in 80 mins Madeye-Smiley

In a good snow year Heavenly can be open in July, as they have skied there on the 4th.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snoqualmie - a great place, is a fat hour plus from Seattle. Think about that. Stevens Pass, also very nice is one and one half hours from Seattle. Mt. Baker, another great place is two hours. Crystal is also two hours. So don't overlook Seattle. Interesting town/region. Good food, too.

Everyone remember if you ever knew of Sugar Bowl on top of Donner Summit on 80, three hours from San Francisco. Very nice place. Let me say that again.... Very nice place. Below it you've got Truckee by a ten minute drive which then opens you up to Tahoe in toto. Take your pick from there. I wouldn't be inclined to factor Mammoth from anywhere other than Los Angeles. Such a great place but California shuts down all east/west passes until May, some years late June. Hope this is one of those years.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mammoth and Crystal are both doing great and both stay open late, if you can wait see what happens this spring with the El Nino weather.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mammoth is about 5 hours drive from LA and often stays open until June and July, at least on the weekends.

If there's lots of snow the big Tahoe resorts will try to open as long as possible - 2011 we were skiing on July 4th at Squaw.

North Lake Tahoe is 3.5 hours from San Francisco Airport (I used to live a mile from the airport and drove to Squaw most weekends). I wouldn't call Truckee/Tahoe City and the north and west shores of the lake tacky...maybe South Lake is to some! It's 72 miles around the lake - Truckee to South Lake is about an hour, depending on traffic and road conditions.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did a couple of days skiing in mammoth from 10 th April a few years back .There was a 4 foot dump the day before we got there . I have to say it was the one of the best trips we have ever done. Driving from LA takes a long time, but there is an airport with scheduled flights from San Diego ,LA and I think SFO.I would definitely think about that as Its literally 5 mins to mammoth lakes .The village has a huge Free form outdoor heated pool.( the hottest pool I have ever been in)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just checked and Its United from SFO and Aloha from LA and San Diego.
snow report
Bones wrote:
HeidiAmsterdam, you must mean 3 hours to totally drive around the lake Puzzled

As we were staying in Tahoe City and drove to Kirkwood in 80 mins Madeye-Smiley

In a good snow year Heavenly can be open in July, as they have skied there on the 4th.

Yes, 3 hours to drive the circumference. But that is of course not necessary if you choose your route well
snow report
I've skied Mt Baker, Crystal and Alpental in mid-April out of Seattle.

All day trips.

Great snow conditions and great skiing. All three very different.
latest report
Mammoth.
latest report
Thanks guys, will have to make a decision late January as we have to book flights then. Its either bridge spotting and walking in San Fran or persuading mrsfatcontroller to do 2 days boarding near Seattle.
ski holidays
Seattle - no brainer
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy