Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When do I need to get a new helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have had my helmet for 8 years now. Only worn one week every year for skiing. Just wondering if it is time to get a new one. I have not had any major crash in it but one small crash where I did hit my head on the snow.

Not sure how to check if the helmet is still fit for purpose or has the material deteriorated over time?

Thank you for your advice in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowy123, standard advice is that if you feel it needs replacing, then it probably does.

FWIW I'm still happily using a Sweet helmet that I bought in 09/10 (and used a kayaking helmet from them for 7 or 8 years before it needed replacing too).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just replaced mine after 5 years. The recommendation seems to be 3 to 5 years or straight after a big bang. If you divide the cost of my last helmet by the number of weeks I've skied in it doesn't seem so expensive
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just wondering, what's going to affect a helmet over time which would need it to be replaced?

A big knock would definitely make me want to replace mine as I'd be sure that the foam would have got compressed.

What else might affect it? Loss of plasticiser in the outer shell? UV action on the plastic making it brittle?

I've had mine over 10 years and it has been used for a week not quite every year of that time. Probably time to replace, but want to understand what might have happened to it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Max five years. UV degradation high esp. on dark colours. Also how it has been treated in transit......
See a lot of helmets kicked around the floor/smashed into chairs......... outers scratched etc. Compressed polystyrene is the least of your worries.

How expensive is your head?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for all your comments. Sounds like time to look for a new one in the sale.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When do I need to get a new helmet?

When your head gets too big for the one you've already got. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni wrote to Sweet Protection in March 2008, questioning the general 3-5 years helmet lifespan he had read about elsewhere, and they responded: "Well, 3-5years is LONG! We normally recommend that one should consider replacing a helmet after 2 years. This is, if you use the helmet quite often. The problem is that there’s no way any helmet manufacturer can say how the helmet has been treaded [treated?], or what ”damage” the helmet has been suffering. This is also why we say 2 years."
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy