Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
From what I've seen on facebook, it's loooking pretty good there.

16 sleeps and counting
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been keeping an eye on the webcams for almost a month now and the bottom of the Clutes (Clotes?) run looks as good as I've seen it.
Long may it last!

Does anyone have experience of hiring skis from Sauzeonline (who seem to be acting as agent for Paolo Chalp)? The website is a bit vague as to what's available Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Currently out here in Sestriere, the highest runs and lifts are closed, and have been since Saturday The gondola to Sauze wasn't running today which made lift queues a bit of an issue. Was over Sauze yesterday and it was pretty disappointing, the slopes between the 2 man chair and sportinia were mainly closed although most were skiable, but patchy. Lower down was pretty good to be fair. Was in Claviere on Monday and everything open except the highest chair towards Montgenevre. Sansicario is in ok shape too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Sauze next week - so it doesn't look good then Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are in Sauze too next week. Driving down and already have plans for Serre, Montgenevre and Bardoneccia. If Sauze isn't looking good its a trip somewhere else.
If anybody fancies meeting up pm please.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have to admit I don't understand.
The bottom of the Clutes run looks better (on the webcam) than it has done in the last month or so.
Why is so much of the terrain is closed or 'patchy'?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heavy snowfall at the moment as backed up by the live cams. This is the latest from youtube (not sure if I'm allowed to include links so apologies in advance if it doesn't work):

http://youtube.com/v/opXcq97dGNs

Please send some reports when you're out there next week for all of those to follow snowHead Also, if you haven't already seen it, check out the All new 15/16 Weather Outlook thread. Weathercam is in via lattea next week and providing updates regarding conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sauzeonline chap just posted on FB that they are experiencing a huge dump right now. Wish I was.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sequoiaboard, bowel problems? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been on the hill this pm. Lots of snow to keep you entertained. BUT anything in the bowl and the links to Sestriere are closed due to wind. It really is blowing a gale up there. Sun out this afternoon and warm in the village. Just like spring. But the pistes are hardpack and a bit icy in places.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ummm been in the bowl today and wish I hadn't, not on my own ski's anyway. Grass, mud and copious amounts of rocks sticking out of the piste. The pistes are so bare with very little snow at the side of the pistes either. We lapped piste 29 and 11 after which had far better snow than the bowl. Drove down so time to get to other resorts and hope conditions are better there. What are Sestriere conditions like?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm looking at booking for 5th March and Sestriere is one of the options coming up - reading this last page, I'm guessing it's best to probably avoid Sestriere and look at other options for my ski fix?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went to Bardoneccia today and the pistes are in such a better state than Sauze's. Will be making the trip to Bardoneccia and Serre this week instead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been offered a week in a hotel in Sestriere for that week at £125 - including flights! That shoud sum it up nicely (or not)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had our half term week out here in Sauze and on the whole the conditions are disappointing and many pistes closed and if they are not closed the pistes are very thin. We have been lucky as I drove down and we have taken ourselves off to Serre, Bardoneccia and Montgenevre and found so much better conditions. Sauze town is deserted and I am guessing the pistes will be too. Sestriere I believe is fairing worse with the amount of piste closures. The lift pass office reporting " we cannot wait for this season to finish".
Such a shame for all the local business's. Good luck to those arriving soon. I hope you find the condition's better than I am reporting.
ski holidays
[quote="Jerby"]Just had our half term week out here in Sauze and on the whole the conditions are disappointing and many pistes closed and if they are not closed the pistes are very thin. We have been lucky as I drove down and we have taken ourselves off to Serre, Bardoneccia and Montgenevre and found so much better conditions. Sauze town is deserted and I am guessing the pistes will be too. Sestriere I believe is fairing worse with the amount of piste closures. The lift pass office reporting " we cannot wait for this season to finish".
Such a shame for all the local business's. Good luck to those arriving soon. I hope you find the condition's better than I am reporting.[/quote
Your report surprises me after the reports of fallen snow - - I would have thought the conditions would have been better than you reported.

Were you able to go over to Sansicario?

I have a hired a car - was thinking I might could cancel it, and just ski Sauze - but after reading your report, I think I'll be glad I've kept the car...
latest report
Was out last week in Sauze during the big dumps and was pretty happy really with the conditions considering. Only really Mon & Tue where it was thin enough for rocks and stones to be gouging holes in my skis. By the end of the week it was proper powder conditions. Got the trip to Montgenevre on the bus (although takes so long I think skiing there may be no longer, *if* the links are open), and very nice conditions there. Need more time there.

Everything else was all dependent on what was open. Conditions were good but they kept shutting the link path from Sauze despite it looking fine, though were running the very slow downlift. Then final day, really excellent conditions but two key lifts in Sauze kept stopping and they were blabbing on in Italian over the speaker about it being windy and to get down from the top or something (so someone translated for us). The main lift from Sportina then closed and people were staying low, then the main lift from Clotes closed and we were stuffed. A bit frustrating and I don't see why they were worried about wind so much. I've been to places with far worse and they don't bat an eyelid. A lot of excellent snow went to waste that day.

Also a bit annoying that various lifts and runs around Sauze remained closed even after a good covering and plenty enough to open them.

Still, I expected far worse so in all turned out good week.

The flight back on the other hand was delayed by 15 hours, ended up in a hotel etc, and door to door (with the stupidly unecessary early start time from Crystal) was 24 hours to get home Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@HeidiAmsterdam. From what I have heard this week they have suffered a temperature inversion for weeks. The lower runs have the better snow but have struggled higher up and then as @deadkenny says the wind has also played havoc with lifts closing as it did with us last Saturday and Sunday but also stripping the pistes of snow. Various people have said this has been there best week Shocked weather wise of the season.
If you have a hire car there are better conditions by far within 30 minutes of Sauze. But it depends how fussy you are with on piste conditions and off piste etc.
Good luck. Have a good time all of you that are coming out.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/ixW48uD_JW0

Link to Sauze Online update
snow report
Just back from Sauze. Good weeks skiing, however left @ 5 in the morning with +10 degrees in the resort!!!
ski holidays
Just back from Sauze (back Sunday 21st.) Fanatastic week of skiing, that said we had to work to find the snow, and the right company wink Met up with @Jerby and @Jerby-junior, and had a great day skiing in Serre Chevalier (hope the poles are still good.) That's another story.

Joined up with the SCGB Leader in resort, with his help we found some nice snow, and skied a lot of unbashed, unopen but perfectly skiable runs. Some suggestion that runs were left unbashed through lack of personnel or just to limit there use.

For example the bowl was really great and perfectly skiable, but not grooming the runs did help limit the traffic and keep the snow better.

Conditions were best at the early part of the week. Our last day was good, but the lower pistes were more and more soggy ( can't think of a better way to describe it.)

The top was clearly very wind scoared.

Went over to Sestriere twice, the second time was a much briefer trip as they threatend to close the gondola link (they never actually did.) To my mind Sestriere looked in a similar state to Sauze.

Sansicario was great fun, but definately looking tracked in places. Good idea to be carefull on the back side of some of the sections that there is still snow and not mud.

Montgenevre and Claviere were in good shape, but some surprising lift closures in Claviere. The rumour was that this is economic.

All in all a good week. Last year half term was saved by a couple of dumps just prior. Talking to one of the ski instructors he said the winters seem to be later and shorter. Sad
snow report
We are off Friday night, it seems as though we are in for a snow treat Smile
latest report
We are heading there (Sestriere) on Sunday. Biggest challenge might be getting there from the airport. Reports of up to 1.2M of snow to fall on Sunday. Cool
snow report
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
We are off Friday night, it seems as though we are in for a snow treat Smile

It looks like you will be rewarded for holding your nerve!

I'm off to Sauze a week on Sunday by which time this weekend's snow (fingers crossed!) will have settled down nicely. It's forecast to be cold for the next two weeks so I'm hopeful we'll get the best conditions of the season Cool
latest report
Red Lion
Quote:

I'm off to Sauze a week on Sunday by which time this weekend's snow (fingers crossed!) will have settled down nicely. It's forecast to be cold for the next two weeks so I'm hopeful we'll get the best conditions of the season

Fingers crossed. I'm there the same time. HeidiAmsterdam, keep us posted next week if you can with actual conditions? (and good luck)
ski holidays
we are there from 2nd...any updates from this weekend onwards much appreciated!
snow report
Zdh4 wrote:
Red Lion
Quote:

I'm off to Sauze a week on Sunday by which time this weekend's snow (fingers crossed!) will have settled down nicely. It's forecast to be cold for the next two weeks so I'm hopeful we'll get the best conditions of the season

Fingers crossed. I'm there the same time. HeidiAmsterdam, keep us posted next week if you can with actual conditions? (and good luck)

will do!!!
snow report
latest forecast has Saturday through Monday morning 80 cm on top....

snow treat Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Their 4 piste bashers will struggle with all that snow
ski holidays
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM
latest report
Onnem wrote:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Are you out there next week as well?

I think this forecast is still an outlier - they will get snow, but how much is the question....
ski holidays
nevergreenterrace wrote:
Their 4 piste bashers will struggle with all that snow

isn't that the truth... is it really 4, or was that tongue and cheek?
snow conditions
Sadly the latest report has reduced the snowfall....not that I'm checking it 3 times a day or anything.... Shocked
latest report
@HeidiAmsterdam, That's all we could see when we were in Sauze in January. There may have a secret garage somewhere but we couldn't see any evidence of one. We put the fact that not all of the blue pistes were bashed every night down to the lack of bashers. Hope that I am wrong. Personally I would prefer to ski unbashed powder than the icy scraped pistes that we had to contend with.
snow conditions
Zdh4 wrote:
Sadly the latest report has reduced the snowfall....not that I'm checking it 3 times a day or anything.... Shocked

you and me both... snowfall forecast reduced by 50%... but maybe that is better, too much snow and there will be a lot closed until it's avalanche checked... now it looks like 30-35 cm..

take that back - now looks like close to a meter over a Saturday-Sunday-Monday, and Saturday is only two days out... so decent confidence level on that. I think it all hangs on if the retour l'est takes hold... otherwise it dumps more in the dolomites.
snow report
Laughing

Yeahhhhh.... I'll just check one more time before bed. Really need at least one report while you're out there Heidi, even a wine fueled end of day run down.

Looking good though. snowHead
ski holidays
Classic retour d'est situation here
Only question, isn't that low pressure are too far north, ie optimum angle is SE and now it appears to become too much E?

latest report
Bergfex is showing much the same:

Sat 33 cm
Sun 47 cm
Mon 12 cm

= 92 cm

Holy Snow Batman!

Tomorrow is the acid test.
snow conditions
Bergfex downgraded
Sat 21 cm
Sun 26 cm
Mon 8 cm

= 55 cm

I'd double down on that one...
ski holidays
Can anyone tell me why so many of the lifts and runs are still closed in Sauze? Today they've issued an emergency warning.... Puzzled

http://www.vialattea.it/public/bollettino_vialattea_20160226.pdf?t=61136,88
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy