Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wrong Flex boot???

Poster: A snowHead
Decathlon were selling some stuff at the end of last season and i saw some Head edge 70 Ski boots .As they are a wider fit than my salomons i bought them.

Im 6ft ,15st and cruise around blue/reds and the odd black .

I wasn't thinking about the flex when i bought them and now reading on other threads they may be to soft .

Im not sure if to sell them now as they are new and buy a higher flex .Would a Head 80 flex make much difference
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wasley,

Why did you want a wider fit?

Flex 80 vs 70 probably not noticed.

Your weight I would think 110 plus...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You weight more than me and I find 120s a touch on the soft side... My Current boots are 130's and they feel about right for my weight. I think at your height and weight you need to be in a 115 or so minimum. Also, go to a proper boot fitter and not decathlon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ending up tying myself in knots with boot flex. These two videos helped my understand. They both say that numbers are only relevant to a range of boots from one brand. You cannot compare an 80 flex in brand A to an 80 flex in brand B.
I would try them on and do the exercise in the first video with the green and yellow lines. This will give you an idea. I am 6 foot 4, 18 stone and a solid itermediate and have head boots with an 80 flex. I assumed they were too soft, but I have done the exercise and they are about spot on. (I have a problem with boots being too big, but that is a different issue).
Cheers
Smag

http://youtube.com/v/bX2NUkdggkw

http://youtube.com/v/xZJg-lcv2oA
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
with your stats i would be looking at a 120-130 flex boot, it is true that the brands all flex differently for the same number (especially in a warm shop)

there is an edge 125 available which may be more suitable or Atomic make the Hawx Magna in 130 flex, this all release on the boot fit being good for you
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smagsmith wrote:
both say that numbers are only relevant to a range of boots from one brand. You cannot compare an 80 flex in brand A to an 80 flex in brand B.

Even thats pretty misleading, its down to the plastics used as well. It why you should always go to a proper boot fitter and not Decathlon... Personally in the UK theres two places I trust fully to give the correct boots, Baxter Sports and Solutions 4 Feet. I've had a 100 Solly that was stiffer than a 120 Solly due to the differences in the plastic.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It does annoy me slightly whenever boot questions are raised that the only possible solution is to go to a bootfitter, we all know that this is the ideal solution however, financial considerations need to be accounted for. I for one bought a pair of boots 15 years ago, they wore away so much that were not good with the bindings, some kind friend who could no longer ski gave me his boots, terrible fit but no money so I've been living with them. I'm now trawling the internet looking for 4 season old boots with a budget limit of about €125, and even then I'm pushing it.
I suppose the moral of this post is spare a thought for people who strongly share the same passion as yourselves, but, for whatever reason, do not have the means to walk into a fancy shop somewhere in the world and spend in excess of €500 for the perfect boots!

Rant over, happy new year to you all! (it's due to start snowing in two days time!!!!!!!!!!!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For comparison purposes, I use an Atomic 80 flex all-mountain boot. I am 5' 10" and weigh about 10.5 st

I am a decent piste skier (not expert) and CEM previously suggested 80 flex is a little on the soft side for my level.

However, my boots have a custom fitted (goo-injected) liner, which has stiffened the flex characteristics to the point where the boots work well for me. Before the custom liner was fitted they were definitely too soft at speed, especially on warm days.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pumba wrote:
It does annoy me slightly whenever boot questions are raised that the only possible solution is to go to a bootfitter, we all know that this is the ideal solution however, financial considerations need to be accounted for. I for one bought a pair of boots 15 years ago, they wore away so much that were not good with the bindings, some kind friend who could no longer ski gave me his boots, terrible fit but no money so I've been living with them. I'm now trawling the internet looking for 4 season old boots with a budget limit of about €125, and even then I'm pushing it.
I suppose the moral of this post is spare a thought for people who strongly share the same passion as yourselves, but, for whatever reason, do not have the means to walk into a fancy shop somewhere in the world and spend in excess of €500 for the perfect boots!

Rant over, happy new year to you all! (it's due to start snowing in two days time!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'm hardly going to tell someone to do something like that, yes going to a bootfitter is expensive as its the best scenario which is why its the only one I will recommend. If your happy to compromise then thats fine, I have in the past when my budget hasn't allowed it but it's never been correct, I've always had an issue with pains and so forth when I have. I wouldn't feel right telling someone not to go to a boot fitter.

Theres also not much logic aside from budget in buying second hand boots, the sales form places like Snowinn etc are so cheap its nearly the same price as used gear. Most used gear will be well pasts its sell buy date esp the lower end of the markers liners which have a life of about about 50 days use. My solly Impacts were fit for nothing but the bin after 60 days of me in them, if your going to buy used don't buy normal gear, look for a hire place clearing out as these days most hire gear is built a bit stronger than the normal offerings for repeated use.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to sing the praises of professional bootfitters too, despite the extra costs. They prevented my shins from bleeding and becoming infected and took my skiing to a new level of enjoyment and performance.

Perhaps some people are lucky enough to get a good fit from an off-the-shelf boot, but unfortunately I'm not one of those people.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lordf, It's not about being happy to "compromise", I would dearly love to have someone custom make a liner for my feet, but it costs money that I do not have, the compromise may well be that my children don't get to go to ski club and learn to ski, and I would maybe have to sacrifice a season of skiing! I'll stick to trawling the budget sites like eko and snowinn, not planning on buying 2nd hand by the way, just the old stock! 2nd hand skis are fine though! Alaways great bargains on Leboncoin!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ive sold the Ski boots and was fortunate to get £120 for them .I did venture in to a few Ski shop and they all recommended 90+ flex but Im like a few of the others i cant afford to spend £250-500 on boots .
So ive been looking on Eko ,Glisshop , and new ones on ebay

I do have a little birthday money left over so was think of spending around £100ish on the boots and any money left over on custom footbeds as that is the one thing all the bootfitters recommend.

Heres the one's ive been looking at
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/rossignol-synergy-sensor2-100-red-trs-15-p-9-2761.html?CatalogID=N1&CategoryName=N1003
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/head-vector-100-white-black-yellow-15-p-9-2555.html?gclid=CJ20m5jznsoCFUyNGwodfqoPeQ

But im drawn towards the Head Adapt Edge as you can adjust the LAST from 102 to 104mm and as ive since found out my right foot is 2-3mm wider than my left
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/head-adapt-edge-95-trs-anthr-blk-yel-16-p-9-4319.html?gclid=CPnW5fr0nsoCFcG7GwodFKINUQ
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While I take the point regarding affordability ... boot fitting and new boots are expensive ... If the question is "how do I buy a good fitting boot?"

eBay isn't the answer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm no expert and also couldn't afford to go to a pro bootfitter. I would love to and if my finances are different next I will travel down to CEM. I've received unbiased advice on here regarding measuring my feet to the best of my ability. Having unusually low volume and narrow feet eventually got some lange rx 100lv. (A whole shell size smaller than my previous salomon mission rs cf 70) Regardless off the size problem I've instantly noticed the extra stiffness in a good way! Hard to describe, but just feels more 'direct'. I'm 3 stone lighter than you so I'd think you'd definitely benefit from stiffer boots.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm no expert and also couldn't afford to go to a pro bootfitter. I would love to and if my finances are different next I will travel down to CEM. I've received unbiased advice on here regarding measuring my feet to the best of my ability. Having unusually low volume and narrow feet eventually got some lange rx 100lv. (A whole shell size smaller than my previous salomon mission rs cf 70) Regardless off the size problem I've instantly noticed the extra stiffness in a good way! Hard to describe, but just feels more 'direct'. I'm 3 stone lighter than you so I'd think you'd definitely benefit from stiffer boots.

It doesn't cost the earth to go to a proper boot fitter.
I got new boots couple of months ago at Colins place and went from a flex of 80 to 130. Big difference in feel and control - I can't wait for Zermatt next week Toofy Grin
Height 5ft11inches, weight 85kg.
If you can't afford to get you boots fitted properly, then you can't afford to go skiing.
snow report
Quote:

If you can't afford to get you boots fitted properly, then you can't afford to go skiing.

And people wonder why skiing is seen as an elitist sport in the UK?

If I want to ski for a day I drive 30 minutes and pay about €25, like all good sports it's about accommodating everyone and not just the rich! The mountains are full of local people who don't necessarily have lots of money but enjoy the same sport as us.
ski holidays
@Pumba, no one is berating those who don't use fitters, people are only recommending boot fitters as the best option. However, you are berating those recommendations, which is somewhat unfair.
snow report
Dr Rock wrote:

I hate this attitude, makes it sound that skiing is elitist and for those with pots of money. The fact of the matter is that you CAN buy second hand gear and you CAN buy boots that may not fit you perfectly. The result may be uncomfortable and not as enjoyable, but if you're passionate about it then it's better to do that than sit at home.

Recommended advice is definitely to spend the money and have a set of proper fitting new boots, but if that's not viable then there are still ways to go skiing without breaking the bank.
snow report
lordf wrote:
You weight more than me and I find 120s a touch on the soft side... My Current boots are 130's and they feel about right for my weight. I think at your height and weight you need to be in a 115 or so minimum. Also, go to a proper boot fitter and not decathlon.

It's a down to preference too. I am 13st and wear a 100 flex boot, and have for years. My feet are very comfortable at the end of the day, and yet I do not have any control issues.

I am an early expert skier, the boots are a Dalbello Viper 10, originally fitted by pro feet. They have been adjusted by them twice since purchase as they/the liners loosened up. They are extraordinarily comfortable, and I do everything from park, piste, off-piste and moguls on them. I wore them virtually every day when skiing a full season a couple if years ago.

I am actually a bit scared of buying new boots as mine are as comfortable and familiar as a pair of well-worn riding boots now!
snow conditions
I'm intrigued by this subject, it seems to me boot fitting attitudes have changed.

I'm 6 foot 2 inches, 15 stone, narrow ankles, wide feet. I'm a decent advanced intermediate.

I've had boot problems all my life , until about 6 years ago Snow and Rock put me in a pair of Salomon X Wave boots. Incredibly ugly boots and quite heavy, but just so comfortable ( relatively speaking) , a big aspect of this being their width. The flex figure was something like 90, bit I never ever felt they weren't stiff enough, or any lack of control.

I decided to replace them last winter as they had done the best part of 30 weeks. Big mistake!! Went back to Snow and Rock, was persuaded in to a pair of Salomon X Max 120. They were far too tight width wise but I was persuaded that they would loosen up. Well after three weeks skiing and two attempts by Snow and Rock to re shape them they were still agony and I gave up and went back to my old boots.

So - is this about boot width? I have read somewhere that there really aren't any boots now aimed at us wide footed brethren. Or is this about flex?

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I don't like having painful feet all day and from my previous boots I know it's not obligatory.

I also wonder if the attitude of boot fitters has changed. They seem obsessed now with getting the smallest possible size and the tightest fit - my partner has just been persuaded in to a pair of boots that she just knows are going to hurt her, but they would not offer a comfort guarantee on a larger boot.
snow report
Dr Rock wrote:

Well thanks for that! I'm very happy with my latest boots. I received good advice on choosing and measuring for them from bootfitters on here Inc CEM even though there was no financial gain to them. I also fully recommended their services. I have 2nd hand skis, poles, gloves, goggles and salopettes. I have to do a ridiculous amount of overtime to go skiing.
I was just giving my experience of recently changing boots to a different flex. However I am sorry for polluting your forum with my 'poorness'! 👍
snow conditions
Well here is my 2p worth.

It is always better to go to someone that knows what they are talking about. Not all boot fitters are good at what they do. However, when you talk of last differences etc remember that 1-2mm can make a big comfort difference and a good boot fitter will be great for this. IMHO, trying them on yourself and making your own mind up is just as good as going to shop that fits boots, but the boot fitter is clueless. See earlier posts on great and bad fitting form one shop. It is down to the individual fitter.

Scenario 1) you get a 28.5 boot because it doesn't pinch on one part of your foot. result is less response on the rest of the foot.

Scenario 2) you get a 27.5 boot because you have been properly measured. You get custom footbeds, one 1mm thinner than the other, because that 1mm less will reduce the pinching on your foot at the top/sides. Then the boot fitter will work the toes so you have wiggle room on the toes but overall grip on the rest of the foot. Result is you will ski better and enjoy the whole week.
However, not everyone can go to an Olympic medalist to get fitted Happy

But it seems to me that many shops can make this mistake so unless someone is recommended then you may end up in a lottery situation.

Regarding the can't afford comment...
If you are spending crazy money on a holiday then fair enough. But if you are wanting to go on a budget then there are ways. See here. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

Back to Boots:-

Rather than buy on ebay. Simply speak to someone at your local shop who know what they are talking about and ask advice. Explain that a new boot is out of the question but you may consider an older boot or ex demo even from a few years ago. Sometimes they will be able to provide you with a boot that will fit reasonably well and be MILES better than a second guess on ebay.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 10-01-16 12:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

no one is berating those who don't use fitters, people are only recommending boot fitters as the best option. However, you are berating those recommendations, which is somewhat unfair.

@Sub_Zero_G, I have at no point berated the recommendations of going to a bootfitter.
Quote:

It does annoy me slightly whenever boot questions are raised that the only possible solution is to go to a bootfitter, we all know that this is the ideal solution however, financial considerations need to be accounted for

My point has always been that this may not be an option for some people. I myself stated
Quote:

I would dearly love to have someone custom make a liner for my feet

And just to prove the point, if any rich elitist skier wants to pay for my return flight, new boots and boot fitting service at the outlet of their choice I will more than happily take that opportunity, and have their details printed on my jacket!!! OOh to be a sponsored skier eh! Nearest I've ever got to that has been the cast off's from friends who were sponsored!
snow report
@wasley, how about just getting some custom footbeds made and using them in hire boots, which should be stiffer than 70? The footbeds will still be good when you are able to buy boots at a later date.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, quite right. You can also buy boots that fit well without paying extra for expert fitting. Of course some people have 'difficult' feet or may want a performance fit, so expert fitting is probably their only solution. But I'm convinced that the vast majority of holiday/social skiers would be perfectly fine buying off the shelf boots in the correct size and enjoying their skiing without pain. Skiing is not a competition for how much you can spend, it's supposed to be about enjoyment. Pain is not enjoyment.
snow conditions
I didn't find anything wrong with what Pumba said at all. It was Dr Rock who seems to think skiing is only for the wealthy. That's his problem not mine. Sorry for derailing the thread slightly. I didn't just go for something off ebay regarding boots. I did a lot of research into lasts and volume and measuring ,etc before deciding which boots I wanted then buying online from snow and rock when they went in the sale. Yes it was a gamble but could have returned them if they were horrendously wrong.
latest report
Whitty wrote:
I didn't find anything wrong with what Pumba said at all. It was Dr Rock who seems to think skiing is only for the wealthy. That's his problem not mine. Sorry for derailing the thread slightly. I didn't just go for something off ebay regarding boots. I did a lot of research into lasts and volume and measuring ,etc before deciding which boots I wanted then buying online from snow and rock when they went in the sale. Yes it was a gamble but could have returned them if they were horrendously wrong.

And this point is key. You can always return an online purchase if bought with a credit card.
snow conditions
Quote:

Pain is not enjoyment

oh I've heard for some it's different, mistress.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look how much Warren Smith's boot is moving, 2 minutes in
http://youtube.com/v/438La_uHJyw. His knee is well over his toe. Looks like a very flexible boot?
snow conditions
Most skiers are on too stiff a boot and too short a ski. Other than that, today's tip is:

Banana Bread

Butter a non-stick bread pan, then flour well. (The flour is really important for the bread to “climb” against while baking. I had not done that before, and it makes a huge difference!)

Combine and mix well the following dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside:

2 cups AP flour

¾ cup sugar

½ cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

In another medium bowl, coarsely smash 3 ripe bananas (use a large spoon or spatula and don’t puree – the banana needs to be chunky)

To the bananas, add and combine: (but try not to reduce the banana chunks)

2 large eggs, beaten

6 Tablespoons melted butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

¼ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently FOLD until the flour is thoroughly moistened. Pour into the prepared bread pan and spread the mixture evenly across the top.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree (F) oven for 45-50 minutes.
latest report
flex is a strange thing. I am 18 stone, and use a 120 flex, atomic hawx. I love them. YMMV.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
You can always return an online purchase if bought with a credit card.

Any online purchase is subject to the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, which gives you at least 14 days after you receive the goods to cancel the order - how you pay is not relevant, although if the seller is being awkward, payment by credit card makes the card issuer jointly liable if there is a problem.
snow report
The length of the lower leg bones plays a big part in how much leverage you apply in order to flex the boot. Personal geometry makes quite a difference.
snow report
I had my boots fitted about 7 years ago by a professional boot fitter, the boots he sold me were in his words "intermediate to advanced" after getting some custom soles made I find the boots extremely comfortable and the boots fit very well.

Never really know or cared about flex but just looked and mine are 70 which after reading this thread and doing some research seems really rather to soft, also I am 6 feet 1 and 14 and a half stone, is the flex of my boots affecting my performance? Or are we talking marginal gains that only experts would see?
snow report
If I skied for a season I wouldn't have the boots and skis that I do now. Why? Because I ski maybe twice a year for 8-10 days.

It takes a couple of days to get my 'ski legs' back and make the boots and skis work nicely. Then I have maybe 4-6 days where everything works really nicely, then the last couple of days I want more aggressive boots and longer skis.

I'm a retired grandfather but fit (I kitesurf all year), 5'11"/81kg, Atomic Hawx 100 with Sidas custom foam increasing the flex to about 120 (so CEM told me), Volkl Code Speedwall S UVO 166s. CEM plated and routed my boots to make them play nicely with the skis - thanks CEM.

It's all a compromise unless you're doing a full season.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice but i went and ignored it all.

I went too my local Decathlon and tried on about 6 different ski boots in all different sizes .
I found the Rossignol ALLTRACK 90 (28.5) and Head Adapt Edge (29/29.5) to be the most comfortable.

I then Found a New pair of Head Apapt Edge on Ebay and managed to get them for £69 delivered .
snow report
A small point about the flex of ski boots, plastics used make all the difference, Polypropelyne, polyester, polyether, grilamid, pebax and nylon are all temperature sensitive. These plastics get stiffer by aprox a factor of 5 between +15 and -15. Ergo, your boots that have a flex of 70nm in the store (testing is at 22°) are aprox 350nm at -15, your 120nm therefore 600nm. Pigmentaion, plastic thickness also make a huge difference. A boot with too much volume will need to be buckled up tight to hold the foot well and will reduce flex as the elasticity will be removed by over tightening. When you look at these factors, hopefully it will demonstrate the importance of this when choosing the right shaped boot, over flex.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy