Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thollon

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone here been to Thollon? Going in January first time. Looks very beautiful, with the lake. Not much info online though
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Currently in Thollon! Not much snow at the moment but there's a few runs open. It is a beautiful place with stunning views over Lac Leman. Check out the Thollon Les Memises Facebook page. PM me if you want specific info.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks @ibexman, looking at photos on Facebook now - it looks better than I expected, I assume it's very low? How is the snow quality? Not there until mid/end January so fingers crossed. Really looking forward to it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's no lower than the portes du soleil which is in the same area. Village is at 1000 m and skiing goes up to about 2000m. Like most of the Alps the snow is rubbish at the moment. The village has shops, restaurants and 3 ski shops. Recently Evian les Bians has invested 20 million euros in a new gondola and a new mountain restaurant is planned. Easy access to resorts such as verbier, gstaad, Chatel if you fancy a change.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, what a gorgeous place.
If I had my way, the sign as you enter the village would say, 'Welcome to the heavenly kingdom of Thollon!'.
It's an absolute beauty of a resort.
The slopes are not very extensive but the views are amazing, and there is plenty of interesting skiing.
The longest run, Les Vielles Cases, is probably my favourite piste in all the Alps. A challenging red run set amongst incredibly diverse scenery (forests, bowls, canyons), and the views down to the lake are just breath-taking.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Enough there to occupy a day? It is not too far to drive down from Chatel. We have been to Bernex a couple of times and it is a nice enough spot though you do get to ski everything in the resort a few times in a day. I've thought about Thollon but never quite got there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thollon is similar in size of ski area to Bernex but there are more runs and they are on average shorter with the exception of Vielle Casses which is very long. Enough for a day or so on piste but quite a bit of off piste to go at (if you know where to look)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd be happy with two days at Thollon but I wouldn't just ski each run once. When I'm there, I like to get to know the runs and do each one several times, taking a slightly different line each time. There are some fun trails through the woods too that are quite easy to find.
Yep, the dreamy Vielle Casses is a brilliant long run, but the run down to the bottom station of the gondola is pretty decent in length too (think it's got a 1000m VD). There's another nice long red run from the top of the mountain which feels pretty remote, and has some great scenic and technical sections. Could almost spend a morning just on that one.
If you do just like to ski runs once then, yes, a day is enough.
Must try and get there this winter. Love catching the train from Geneva Airport to Lausanne, then taking the boat across Lake Geneva to Evians, before the 15 minute bus/taxi up to the resort.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ibexman2, @Neil Neige, thanks both. I'm happy skiing runs multiple times. We'll put it on the list for this year's lad's trip, snow permitting.

And welcome to Snowheads @Ibexman2
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the welcome, actually been a member for years, but account got locked so set up a new one!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow it looks beautiful today! https://www.facebook.com/1605798279641056/photos/pcb.1751203168433899/1751203061767243/?type=3&theater
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moseyp wrote:
Has anyone here been to Thollon? Going in January first time. Looks very beautiful, with the lake. Not much info online though
try here www.thollon.org . I will be there from the 17th Jan so may see you around.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DJL, wouldn't have thought it classic 'lads trip territory' but I stand to be corrected😃
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CJS4, the Scooby do can be quite lively at times. Just make sure you avoid the tumble weed on the way home
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CJS4, I fear the more testosterone fuelled of you would consider ours to be lads' trip light.

Average age is only brought below 50 because my son is joining us and one lad brings his missus! It is 10 am start, plenty skiing with a decent lunch then G&Ts on the balcony followed by a decent home cooked dinner and a snifter before bed. Dancing on tables in ski boots doesn't feature.

Sounds a perfect day away to me. 45 minute drive and a day covering everything on offer would be great.
snow report
@ibexman, @Neil Neige, @BergenBergen, would you know anything about the cross country trails? There's no info on the website but I found another site that says 6km. Just wondering if I should bring my nordic skis with me...

thanks!
snow report
there's a couple of cross country trails that start from the top of the gondola. Never done them myself but 6 km's is probs about right.
snow report
Thanks @Ibexman2,
latest report
Lads trip Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I've been here training for the last 3 years ( and we do have 2 ladies, 3 this year). Ok the training part is pretty serious but later things have been known to get slightly out of hand possibly due to lots of good food, great company, 10ltr boxes of red wine, several bottles of rather fine single malt + Scotland v Essex French horn playing competitions snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Anyone in Thollon this week? How are the pistes?

I'm thinking of a day down there next week. Presumably most of the skiing is up above about 1500m? I was just wondering what the lower part was like after some of the rain/snow events we have had recently
ski holidays
Infos Remontées Mécaniques Thollon les Mémises is saying all runs open including let lanches from the top of the gondola back to the village @ 1000m so you should be OK. Webcams support that as well. Just choose a sunny day to get the best views.
snow report
Quote:

Average age is only brought below 50 because my son is joining us and one lad brings his missus! It is 10 am start, plenty skiing with a decent lunch then G&Ts on the balcony followed by a decent home cooked dinner and a snifter before bed. Dancing on tables in ski boots doesn't feature.

Sounds perfect to me too, and Thollon sounds delightful. Must try to get there! snowHead
snow report
Thollon is great little resort, but at lot of the businesses are still run by the Viven organisation and their extended family.
ski holidays
We saw the forecast included sun so gave it a go today. What a cracking little resort. A gondola up from the village with a black run under it (only way to ski down) and then a mix of chairs and drags. Pistes were perfectly groomed and it was quiet with no queues at all. Still some untracked snow just off the piste. Day pass for €21/adult. Only one restaurant at the top of the gondola and the best public toilets anyone had seen in a ski resort.

Total cost €21 lift pass, €3.50 large coffee, € 10 for the plat du jour (faux filet, frites legumes and superb) total €34.50. Yesterday's Chatel at pass was €36!

Will certainly be back.
latest report
@DJL, Glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy
latest report
DJL wrote:
We saw the forecast included sun so gave it a go today. What a cracking little resort. A gondola up from the village with a black run under it (only way to ski down) and then a mix of chairs and drags. Pistes were perfectly groomed and it was quiet with no queues at all. Still some untracked snow just off the piste. Day pass for €21/adult. Only one restaurant at the top of the gondola and the best public toilets anyone had seen in a ski resort.

Total cost €21 lift pass, €3.50 large coffee, € 10 for the plat du jour (faux filet, frites legumes and superb) total €34.50. Yesterday's Chatel at pass was €36!

Will certainly be back.

A cracking little resort? Understatement of the year! I love the place but haven't been for a few seasons.
Ah, so the lift pass has finally risen above 20 Euros - can't moan much at 21 though.
I think the run to resort was classified as a red last time I was there. A little bit tricky when you first leave the zigzags though so guess it can claim to be a black.
I must get back there next season. Usually stay at the Bellevue which has a nice swimming pool - always a good way to wind down after a day on the mountain.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 8-03-16 23:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Neil Neige, Yes, they reclassified the run from a red to a black after a number of injuries were incurred, I guess to pursuade some skiers to take the gondola down.

WindOfChange wrote:
Thollon is great little resort, but at lot of the businesses are still run by the Viven organisation and their extended family.

I think the run was originally made to allow some of the new properties being built by the prime developer in the area to be described as ski out ski in. wink
snow report
Thollon is a great place - best keep in quiet!

I don't how to embeb videos but this is short video from there

http://youtube.com/v/GV223fZ5hqE
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Neil Neige, possibly faint praise from me. It really was a great day out in a lovely resort with no idiots hooning around. Quite a lot of French skiers of a certain age who have clearly skied for 50 years plus. Surprising (to me) number of Brits, mostly blokes on the beer or retired looking couples.

Skiing gave a bit of everything. The run down to the bottom would have put the wind up intermediates looking for a standard red (if that is what it was prior to regrading) and I reckon it was worth a black though it was perfectly pisted and quiet so not at the top of the grade.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy