Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shin Bang remedy

Poster: A snowHead
Hello I'm after some advice for shin bang. I have new boots which has helped the problem but I still get it a little in 1 leg where I've previously had an Achilles injury. Has anyone tried shin pads? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Epitact shin pads available in pharmacies in resorts are brilliant.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gel type shin pads worked for me; although they slip around a bit under my sock. However, I think it's a boot fitting issue, which a pro can fix.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads @clarejep snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lessons
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow's reply is very succinct, but should be heeded... especially if you were brought up on old skinny above the head length skis and 'bend ze knees' and force the ski to arc type instruction of years gone by.

A more modern upright stance ( with boot angles to suit ) is quite a relief and easier nowadays and no more need to be hanging way over the front of your boots and skis overpressuring your poor shins...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It depends what you mean though. We call that stance "park stance" around here, and in deep powder... well it let's poor skiers ride where they could not do so before, but it's no substitute for getting your weight where it needs to be. I agree that getting someone to look at your stance would be a good place to start, but "park stance" is something I'd avoid.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarejep, try booster straps
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moseyp wrote:

+ 1
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
firstly make sure the power strap at the top of the boot and the cuff buckles are done up really snugly around the leg, there is often a tendency to do these loosely as "if it hurts it must be too tight" the gel pads work well, especially if you have a sharp tibial crest, body position and skiing style is also a consideration. depending on the location ond exact type of pain a boot fitter may be able to cut some material away from the plastic in the tongue of the boot and create a relief for you

the fact that you say it is on a leg where you had an Achilles problem it may be resolved with a small heel lift to bring you into the correct position in the boot (this should be done as a pair or you will be skiing around in circles and only after it has been assessed to show that it is the solution to the problem)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I prevent shin banging by tethering my willy to my leg.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000 clarejep might not have that option
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@cameronphillips2000, You are Warwick Davis, and I claim my £10
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cameronphillips2000, just spat out my tea . . .lol
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
o11y wrote:
moseyp wrote:

+ 1

+2

Why everyone hasn't made the change onto boosters is beyond me.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Lessons

this.
shin bang is *usually* caused by having your weight to far back (stretching muscles on the shins).

which of course subsequently makes the shins sensitive to forward pressure.
latest report
My bleeding shins were mostly cured by a professional bootfitter, altering my skiing technique and having custom injected liners fitted into my boots.

They are still sensitive when I ski hard though, so I asked for some advice in Strolz ski department in Lech last year. One of the ski/boot techies kindly gave me some pads (for free) which I may try out in a few days.

Scroll down to the bottom of the following page for an example of what they look like:
http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/Ski_Boot_Spares_Repairs_and_Fitting1/
snow conditions
@Gordyjh, Epitact shin pads available in pharmacies in resorts are brilliant.

+1

and if i could i'd + 100.

I find they last ages and ages and ages ( 6 years+ so far). For me the 'ski angels' brand gave me an allergic reaction after 3 days and didn't 'self stay in place' - the manufactures say the gel used is a 'medical grade'. In fairness, i admit to sensitive skin. The Epictact plasters use 'Epithelium' gel which has been used in the orthotics and associated foot industries / products over many years. Please 'google' 'Epitact' and 'Epithelium' to see the number of products using this gel and to read any material properties / references / reviews. All you have to do is sponge wipe the adhesive surface after usage and put them back on their covering sheet and in their bag. They still 'self adhere' to my shims after 6 years ( just as they originally did!) and i've used them ALOT in that time.

As to why i suffer, well, originally i chose boots WAY TOO BIG and went jumping around on a glacier in the summer on a course - so, high pressure, repetitive actions, sock dampness / wetness and excessive looseness and bang, deep BLISTERS down both shins and massive pain. When i see myself ski, well i press TOO MUCH on my shins so as
@Mike Pow, has said 'Lessons' - i'd agree that might help...i.e, proper technique might be the real issue.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy