Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Head - Small Helmet - Suggestions?

Poster: A snowHead
Right Helmet heads . . .(cough) Embarassed

Have absolutely no desire to buy a helmet at all (have survived thus far without one) however the time has come where I'm getting pressure from all angles to do so, including my kids and its also dawned on me that as I've hit middle age I'm no longer invincible . . .

Have a large(ish) head (60cms) and a fairly long but obviously handsome face shape - looking for an understated, lightweight, comfy, breathable helmet that preferably works with both shades and goggles, but most importantly - doesn't make my head look like an enormous mushroom and therefore increases the odds of me wearing it on a regular basis!

Tried on a few recently in my local - Giro Montane / Salomon Quest / Salomon Allium C Air made the shortlist. . .the Montane, whilst very light is still quite wide, the Quest is also light but is tighter and blob like, the Allium looks the most 'sculpted' but is heavier and looks a bit gangster bling for me, especially with the chrome detailing. ALL of them look mahoosive on my head (IMHO) however that's probably because I'm not used to wearing one . . .

Is there a helmet that fits with my overt levels of vanity without turning me into the Mekon (young snow heads do a google search)? Happy to pay a premium for volume reduction! Cheers for your help . . .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you care too much about what you look like. Get one that fits your head and your goggles and isn't too hot/cold. It's a ski slope, very few people are going to care what you look like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a head much like yours, I am on my second Salomon Patrol / Brigade. No complaints in over four years of use, its light, it fits well and breaths well to. I only replaced it as for me four years is a bit old for a helmet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have also struggled to find a ski helmet large enough to fit. I ended up with the Smith Optics Transport.

The other advantage is that it can be upgraded to include headphones.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia wrote:
I think you care too much about what you look like. Get one that fits your head and your goggles and isn't too hot/cold. It's a ski slope, very few people are going to care what you look like.

Laughing LOL . . .of course I do, to be fair I've been pretty honest about this, that's why I started this thread! . . .it's those few people that make all the difference you know . . .

In all seriousness I get your point, however I'm sure that if you had chunky thighs/calves you wouldn't wear 80's spandex pants tucked into to your rear entry boots - or maybe you do. . .? Perhaps I'm going through a mid life crisis, either way I don't want to ski with a phallic mushroom head, sorry but that's my prerogative . . .! Style based answers please . . . NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes I have chunky legs and fitted salopettes. Have we met? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia wrote:
Yes I have chunky legs and fitted salopettes. Have we met? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just my cup of tea these days . . . .but the rear entries are a prerequisite . . .if we haven't met already lets do so and perhaps you can calm my ego . . NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This thread title sounds like a film of a certain genre......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
See if you can find any Sweet Protection helmets to try on. The Igniter and Trooper helmets are fairly low profile. I would have bought their Grimnir model but it doesn't fit me Crying or Very sad

I have an even bigger head than you (62cm), and this season I'm trying the new Giro Range with its unique 'clam shell' adjustment.

Unless your shades have very narrow close fitting arms, if you can wear them under you helmet, it would suggest your helmet is too loose.

Remember to try on helmets wearing something similar to what you ski in, as a helmet worn with a t-shirt will always look massive.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

. . .was meant to - apols, my warped and somewhat smutty humour . . .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think any helmet looks fashionable/cool/nice - delete as appropriate.

IMHO none look as good as a wooly hat and none look remotely as photogenic. But they are there to a job and, as queen bodecia says, no one on the slopes will care what you look like in a helmet. Worth bearing in mind that they all look rubbish... Sad

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 21-12-15 11:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having just been through a hunt for a decent well ventilated helmet that doesn't look ridiculous,ended up buying a smith vantage mips. I'm 60cm too and the large is a perfect fit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, Spot on - my thoughts exactly . . .is that a typo or are you suggesting beards make them look worse . . ? wink I care what my head will look like however, and if it looks like a phallus then I fear I'll be forced to act like one . . .

@Russeh, This has a similar 'look' to the Salomon Allius but less bling - my local doesn't stock it so I'd need to go and try it on somewhere - Q - Whats the difference (other than price) between the standard Vantage and MIPS variant? Will it damage someone who crashes into me more effectively. . . ?!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belch,
Oops! I stand corrected. Embarassed(typo sorted).
ski holidays
@Belch,
Quote:

.is that a typo or are you suggesting beards make them look worse . . ?
Beards make everything worse.

@queen bodecia,
Quote:
It's a ski slope, very few people are going to care what you look like.

@Bergmeister,
Quote:
as queen bodecia says, no one on the slopes will care what you look like in a helmet.

I couldn't agree more with both of you, (although there are some extrememe limits where I'd rather not go) and it constantly amazes me why anyone gives a monkey's what their skis/snowboard look like. It's like choosing car tyres on the basis of colour and looks. If someone is admiring the graphics and colours of your skis then either you are standing around in the ski room being a ski nerd, skiing far too slowly, or there isn't enough snow to cover the graphics, so you really should be in a bar instead.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, May I gently remind you of the rules . . .and the first rule specifically

1: It's all about the kit.

..and this one

4: Don't suffer 'kit confusion' Dress appropriately for your skiing and/or image : If you're a park-rat, then wear the appropriate baggy kit. If you're carving down the piste, then look suitably streamlined.

At my age helmets = kit confusion, therefore this is more than just pure vanity, its the rules

PS. My poles match my skis - is that ok? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Belch wrote:

@Russeh, This has a similar 'look' to the Salomon Allius but less bling - my local doesn't stock it so I'd need to go and try it on somewhere - Q - Whats the difference (other than price) between the standard Vantage and MIPS variant? Will it damage someone who crashes into me more effectively. . . ?!

Most helmets are only tested to protect from impacts from the front or back, MIPS protect from forces from any direction. For me it was already an expensive helmet, might as well go with the MIPS one for the 30 quid difference in price.
latest report
@Russeh, Makes sense for £30. . . .

I think its currently between the Vantage and Allius - both have a 'sculpted' look that seems less bulky to me. . .tried on the Allius again in front of wife and kids and none of them laughed . . .that much. Wife was surprisingly complementary but then I do pay the bills and my life insurance policy is distinctly average . . .gonna track down a Vantage at Ellis Brigham tomorrow . . .
snow report
No - you gotta follow the rules.
I had my ears amputated to get the helmet which matches my poles which match my skis AND the clips on my boots.
The devil's in the detail....as always...
latest report
@Big Paua, . . exactly my sentiment
latest report
I have a headshape like your description, I bought the Marker Ampire last year to replace my Giro after trying on almost all the helmet brands above, none of which really worked for me, its a decent hemet.

Check them out here http://marker.net/products/helmets/ampire.html you can het them in a stealth matt black
ski holidays
@interpaul, . . .liking that - again similar fruit to the Vantage & Allium in terms of looks, think its the hybrid shell and the lateral line that's appealing, rather than the mushroom/dome/poc type lids. Where can you try one on . . ?
snow conditions
Quote:

@interpaul, . . .liking that - again similar fruit to the Vantage & Allium in terms of looks, think its the hybrid shell and the lateral line that's appealing, rather than the mushroom/dome/poc type lids. Where can you try one on . . ?

Snow&Rock sell them, but not in Black http://www.snowandrock.com/marker-ampire//ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/70887?listing=true
latest report
I have an equally large head and found the mushroom look and comfort/fit a big problem too, but the Smith Vantage was perfect for both. I think it actually looks pretty good on the slopes too.....especially when paired with Smith I/O goggles. The venting is excellent too, so I don't get a sweaty head even in warm conditions.
snow conditions
I had exactly the same attitude as you re, helmets and a similarly XL head + longish face.
Like on your shortlist, I went for the Salomon Allium C Air (or whatever it was called 3 years ago), and have been really happy with it.
I looked for a helmet over a couple of years (searching every ski shop in resort), and resisted anything that made me look like a nob.
This helmet is really comfortable, performs really well technically, and looks as good as any on me. (Though the pump-up air fit system has failed, but I don't need it anyway to fit me).
I matched this with Oakley Canopy goggles - seem to match the shape and fit the face well.

But the basic rule of helmet wearing is goggles-only. No sunnies. The fashion police with shoot you if they see you sporting raybans under your helmet. Wink
snow conditions
60cm?! Pinhead!! I'm 61cm. Very Happy One of my skiing pals is 63cm.

I previously had a Dainese Fun and now sport a POC Receptor Bug in XL. The POC is super comfy, it's in matt grey, not one of the other pansy colours, looks spot on. I'm 50yo BTW. wink
snow report
Jarcy wrote:
and resisted anything that made me look like a nob

@Whitters, @Jarcy, . . .this is what I like - honesty, under the thin veil that is vanity in this instance. Those bods with pretty pea shaped heads and girly round face shapes just have no style ethos. . . Laughing

@Jarcy, I have no intention of wearing my sunnies avec helmet - already on the hunt for some light reactive goggles that will stay on even during lunch . . .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd also recommend looking at Sweet Protection helmets: http://www.sweetprotection.com/ski-snowboard/helmets-protection/

I use the Rooster, which was the least Mekon-like helmet available when I bought it, but I'm not sure if it still is.

Be warned that it is not breathable, unless they have added vents on the newer models.

If you manage to find a low-profile helmet that you're happy with please let us know what you bought.
ski holidays
First week skiing wearing a helmet . . .and to be honest I ignored all my own styling advice and went with my head - bought a K2 Route for an excellent price from Absolute Snow and it performed brilliantly . . .this is more of a ski touring orientated helmet and is also certified for mountain biking. . .

Pros
Extremely lightweight - 300g, barely knew I was wearing a helmet
Chin strap - simple but comfortable with a big padded cover
Breathability - excellent - more vent holes than a swiss cheese - never felt sweaty, ever . . .
Fit - Good. XL which was actually slightly larger than expected, minimal padding and Boa fit system means it can be worn with/without a beanie comfortably
Looks - Low key and fairly low profile - fetching black, goggle clips different from any other helmet and can be moved to accept head torches etc
Protection - didn't have any accidents but the helmet took a couple of dings from overzealous frenchmen pulling the bar down quickly on the chairlifts . . . Evil or Very Mad
Practicality - Comes with a Pow Cover that stretches over the helmet to close off the vents if its raining / snowing heavily / extreme cold. Also enables the helmet to be clipped flat (rather than dangling) to a backpack with small s clips . . .

Cons
Goggle fit - worked perfectly with my Bolle Nova II's and had zero tw*t gap (these are mid-sized retro frames) but the brow is def too low to fit the latest oversized goggles (I had actually bought some Bolle Emperors and had to return them - and these are already a size down from current Oakley/Julbo jobs IMO)
Warmth - Non insulated to save weight including the removable earpads so those that feel the cold might suffer. I wore a thin Dakine Helmet liner which kept me perfectly regulated . . .will be omitting this for Spring skiing
Vent control - zero, but as I sweat this is not a problem, and you really need to wear a liner anyway. Alternatively you can cover the majority of the holes with the supplied Pow cover.

Pleased with my purchase and wore it all week with no issues . . .still prefer a woolly hat but I'm now a happy helmet headed sheep . . . Smile
snow conditions
@Belch, Try an Atomic Nomad helmet - not bulky - good venting - large size fits up to 62cm - reasonable prices online
snow conditions
@janner, . . .thanks, but I've just bought a K2 Route as reviewed above . . . . Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

Most helmets are only tested to protect from impacts from the front or back, MIPS protect from forces from any direction. For me it was already an expensive helmet, might as well go with the MIPS one for the 30 quid difference in price.

That's incorrect (and is yet another one to add to the list of MIPS misconceptions!). All helmets are designed to protect against impacts from any direction. The protective layer is the same thickness all-round (more or less).

MIPS is intended to offer protection against rotation of the head. An off-centre impact can cause the head to rotate sharply, potentially causing brain injury as the brain lags behind the movement of the skull.

The MIPS system is designed to allow the shell of the helmet to break-away from the harness (and your head) in an off-centre impact, meaning that your head shouldn't rotate as much or as quicky.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy