Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

position of bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi, i have a pair of Elan Race SLR's (160cm) and i have decided to mount the bindings on them myself due to the pre drilled race plate these skis come with. I consulted the ELAN technical manual which states the boot midsole point should be 73cm from tail. However after doing some reading on the subject i measured the centre of running length (CRS) and found the CRS to be 77cm from tail. Thats a +4cm difference.
Using the pre drilled/pre marked plate for my boot size puts the boot sole midpoint 72cm from tail, -1cm and my BoF point at 76.5cm from tail. (-0.5cm from CRS).

However if i mount my bindings one hole set further forward all measurements move forward 1cm, which i know is the wrong hole set according to the pre marked plate for my boot size. Although the boot midsole point is now exactly in line with ELAN's stated boot mid point for the ski @ 73cm from tail. The BoF (ball of foot) point is also now +0.5cm in front of CRS.

The problem i have is i am unsure as to which position is best to mount the bindings. I have read mixed reports from various sources and lots of contradicting info. So I have no idea if it is better to have the BoF point just behind the CRS and not be in line with what ELAN instruct for the boot midsole point. OR mount the bindings so that the boot midsole point lines up exactly with where ELAN state and as a result have the BoF point 0.5cm in front of the CRS. Please help! lol. If anyone has any advice or further info on this i would really appreciate it.

Thanks
If you need more info regarding my ability, or size, weight etc just ask.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go bof over the crs but as it's a predrilled plate just to can test/change the mount position if required.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's the thing. Because it's a pre drilled plate I'm unable to get BoF over the CRS. I can only get BoF either 0.5cm forward of the CRS or 0.5cm aft of it. Just don't know which one would be better?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try both positions and see which you like best?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@superG, I think you're worrying about not very much. Just get on with it. You won't notice the difference.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't sweat it. If the BOF on CRS is within 1cm on the manufacturers recommendation then there isn't much to agonize over.

If I have understood right then the further forward of your two options would put you on the manufacturers recommendation and a touch forward of the BOF on CRS - I'd start there and then shift back one if you feel the need.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Half a centimetre you'd never notice, half a metre though................
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
An interesting question. Does anyone have a view on how the handling characteristics of the ski change if the binding is mounted so that the boot centre is say an inch behind the CRS, or an inch in front of it ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@deerman,
I once inadvertently strayed onto a TGR forum about Praxis GPO skis and there were dozens of posts explaining in excruciating detail how every facet of the ski was totally transformed by moving the bindings forwards or backwards by the mearest fraction of an inch. No consensus of course. Look it up.

I suspect there are almost an infinite number of views on the array of different skis available.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@deerman, Atomic bindings at least used to adjust, forward makes them feel shorter/quicker turning, backwards longer/more stable. Not convinced e.g. Would make any difference on a race course.

Originally a company called ESS which Atomic acquired.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@deerman, Atomic bindings at least used to adjust, forward makes them feel shorter/quicker turning, backwards longer/more stable. Not convinced e.g. Would make any difference on a race course.

Originally a company called ESS which Atomic acquired.

The Atomic / ESS bindings offered a +/- range of 7mm (IIRC). Many of the Tyrolia (integrated) bindings on Head and Fischer skis had/have a +/- range of 15mm (and I found that very noticeable on Fischer RX8s)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy