Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Burton tough cat or custom x

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snow heads.

I posted this in the equipment review forum but got no response so hopefully it will be OK to post here too?

I'm looking for a new board. Just got rid of my Burton Bullet which I loved because it was stable at speed. I'm not a park monkey, I like covering miles on piste with the odd natural kicker on the way. So don't want anything bendy.

I've been reading reviews on lots of boards and I'm currently torn between the tough cat and custom x.

The guy at my local shop said they don't stock either board as they are both for people looking for something extra, which most of their customers aren't. He thinks I should test the standard camber custom and if that isn't stiff enough then he will order one of the former 2.

Has anybody here ridden either or both? Or any idea how the standard custom compares to these 2?

I'm by no means stuck to these choices,I'll be trying other makes of board but just wanted to see if I could find some opinions of people who have ridden these particular boards

I'd be very grateful for any comments
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not ridden either of these so can't comment on them. What you might want to consider for the same sort of cash is a Lib Tech Travis Rice. I rode one for about 5 years and it was great on and off piste... stiff and responsive, just lovely really. However, it was a little too stiff for me in terms of getting enough flex/pop for tail presses or ollies (more due to my ability than the board probably) so last year I changed to a slightly softer Jamie Lynn which is also a pretty great all-rounder.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Frank Lundy, Question - why not looking at the Burton Flight Attendant?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're definitely set on one of the Burton models you mention, I'd definitely take the taper into account. The Tough Cat is going to be better in powder but the Custom X sounds better matched to the description of your riding I'd say. It is full camber though so needs good technical ability.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Your dealer is making sensible noises: you can see what he's saying. Try the standard board and see if it's a noodle. If it is, then buy the stiffer board or upsize the standard one. I've not ridden either of those boards.

--
I have ridden the Flight Attendant though, as a dedicated back country powder board. I didn't like it. It worked, but was no fun. Boards are personal things. I dumped the flight attendant and picked up a Landlord, and I've been riding those (in powder only) for the last couple of seasons. Not sure what this season's stuff will be like yet - ask me in a few days.

I have ridden the Travis Rice (again in back country powder), and I felt that it is probably more suited to resort/ piste board. With those, you will note that there are a zillion sizes. This is because you need to balance the flex to your weight/ style pretty closely. Slow/poor riders would want a shorter one etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think where you ride also has an impact on choice.
The Landlord is perhaps the one to go for if riding off piste in 3ft of fresh but if you want more all round resort charger the FA will do great. Plenty of camber for sweet turns and the s rocker and taper to float more if it dumps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did the board test early in the year and one of my favourite boards I tested was the fa would be perfect for pow and piste, personally I didn't like the landlord found it a bit dead. Although out of everything I tried I ended up with a Dupraz D1 and the Capita bsod, both are cracking snowboards if it's a deck that can carve and can smash all conditions check the dupraz out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@Frank Lundy, Question - why not looking at the Burton Flight Attendant?

I'd not really looked at this board tbf. Just had a look at some reviews and it definitely seems to fit the. I'll demo it at chill factor in th NY.

Thanks
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The regular custom isn't a noodle if sized correctly. Solid board, not my idea of fun though. It's tough to really see what a freeride orientated board can do in a fridge.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy