Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

capita DOA

Poster: A snowHead
Hi so anyone who's seen me post before knows I'm new to snowboarding , I can link turns and am looking for my own board

The above one has come up as a great all round board and beginner friendly , opinions ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Being a freeride board, it's not going to be as friendly as some of their freestyle boards. It will require decent technique which is a good thing but it will punish poor technique so be prepared to catch an edge more often than you would on a flat or rockered board. The pay-off is that it will carve proper turns once you have the technique. There are good and bad points to all boards, it's just finding the right compromise for your requirements and abilities.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kinda looking for a yes / no . All I want to know is , is it going to.hinder my progress ? That's all need to know really as I'm sure there are some boards out there , that would be too much for me and stop me from progressing if I get on them too soon ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It might slow your progress to some extent but we all had to learn on fully cambered boards up to a few years ago. At least this has some rocker in the tip and tail. If you're confident and committed in your turns, go for it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No again (as in don't get it)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh wow thought it would be ok, what a good one then ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My no was a 'no it won't hinder your progress' - it's a perfectly fine deck to learn (and progress on). It's not that stiff, as said most of us who have been riding for a while learnt on considerably stiffer fully cambered boards.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah cool , I'm guessing a stuffed board isn't better. Wouldn't it hold edges better on the piste though ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think they're trying to say that beginner boards are soft because you need less skill to deal with that, and beginners don't go very fast, and mostly they don't know how to edge anyway.

Just try a few boards out and buy one which you can ride. Or just rent boards until you know what you want *and why*.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
any beginner- intermediate boards for recommendation then?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you could get away with the DOA, its not overly stiff, but I think you'd progress quicker and have more fun on the ultrafear.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Isnt the ultrafear a bit softer and suited to park? why would it be better?

Went to a shop today and they said the DOA is more a park board and id probably do better with the Thunderstick, im 5"9 and 84kgs, is a 155 or 157 ok for that?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Ultrafear does have a softer flex than the DOA, it's also flat between the bindings rather than cambered. This will add up to a board that is definitely more forgiving and playful, a softer board will be more friendly at lower to moderate speeds. A stiffer board will generally be more stable and hold a better edge at high speeds.

Not sure about the advice you've been given but Capita list the Thunderstick as freestyle / park. It's also got an extruded base and is listed as softer than the Ultrafear but almost fully cambered.

Don't be too concerned about a board being in a freestyle / park category. A lots of the benefits of these boards are also benefits to beginners, including being less likely to catch an edge.

I think the Ultrafear is a good shout, looks cool too. The DOA if you don't mind the reduced forgiveness and want to go more towards freeride. Have a think about the direction you want to go in once you've learned the basics.

In terms of length, shorter will be easier to turn and more playful, longer will be more stable. I'd go with 155ish.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yeah from memory the thunderstick and the ultrafear are similar flex but the thunderstick is full on cambered and a bit thinner so if you've got big paws the ultrafear would be better..
ski holidays
so DOA, Thunderstick, or Ultrafear.

im mainly a piste rider, but looking to jib (have fun) more.

What should I buy and length?
ski holidays
saying that im also a beginner who can just about link turns together, but who hasnt been away on snow (yet), but I go every year so want a board that i can use in 2017 as well as next year
snow conditions
So will you be using it for just one week each year? Any dry slope or fridges?

Hearing good things abut the Scott Stevens which is very similar to the Ultrafear.

I think the Ultrafear is the best option. I think you'd have more fun, progress quicker and be less frustrated on one of these. Then if you find yourself going more towards freeride, switch in a couple of years or so.
snow report
Ive been advised against using on dry as apparently it makes the metal well hot, and it expands, cools, expands, so messes base up quickly.

so how is the ultrafear different to the thunderstick or DOA? what size, 155 or 157?
ski holidays
You really can't pick a board by asking people on the internet about it. Try a few out, pick the one you can ride best on.

Renting is a much better option for reasonably athletic people, as you should progress so fast that the board you're on at the start of the week will seem like a wet noodle by the end.

I would also get a new instructor: your current one should have told you all this all ready, and should recommend you a few boards once you're at the point where it makes sense to buy one.
snow conditions
Sarny wrote:
Ive been advised against using on dry as apparently it makes the metal well hot, and it expands, cools, expands, so messes base up quickly.

so how is the ultrafear different to the thunderstick or DOA? what size, 155 or 157?

I certainly wouldn't buy a new stick and use on dryslope....
latest report
Don't worry too much about using on a dryslope. Modern misting systems and regular waxing with a graphite wax really reduce the friction. I've been using my board twice a week since April on the local dryslope, no problems at all and soooo much better than using the crappy hire boards with dodgy bindings.

Ultrafear is flat between the bindings rather than cambered so less likely to catch an edge, will also turn more easily at lower speeds / skidded turns. I expect it will be better for flatland freestyle - buttering, presses and spinning. I do think this is your best option if you're set on Capita. Probably best not to look at other brands or you'll get even more confused! Laughing
snow report
Other brand suggestions ?
latest report
No Laughing
snow report
Yes Rome. Look at the Garage Rocker or maybe the Agent Rocker. They're not rockered boards par se but hybrid depending on which year you find. BUT I'd go and demo a few boards to really get an idea, it's the only way.
latest report
Can't demo , just gonna buy one and see how it goes !
snow report
So, ended up with the DOA & Union Contact Pro bindings.

Hope this ends up ok, thanks for advice, i may change the bindings to the Union Force, but probably not.
snow conditions
It'll be like driving a BMW M3, you'll soon get used to it and once you start to push it you'll really start to enjoy it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, worried the binding are a bit freestyle especially with the small disc but then as a kinda beginner I guess I need something a little forgiving. Least that's what the guy in shop said but makes sense !
snow report
I ride a DOA w/Contact Pros, it's a killer combo. Congrats, enjoy it!
ski holidays
Yeah but I'm a beginner ish so more all mountain as opposed to dedicated park
latest report
Thanks for starting this thread. Got me thinking about a new board (had 2 used ones previously) and just been and bought myself the DOA ready for Austria on Saturday Very Happy
snow report
So how is it going for you guys with the DOA?

I borrowed an Ultrafear for a couple of runs at the dryslope. It's the first time I've ever ridden a board that wasn't cambered in approaching 30 years of riding and although I know the theory behind a flat to rocker or similar, experiencing it was quite surprising. I felt like I couldn't have caught an edge if I'd tried. For messing about on the dryslope where carving isn't a priority it makes total sense and I plan to pick one up to replace my Villain. You never know I might even be tempted to try 180s and 360s again, even at my age!
snow report
Got mine delivered on the Friday 15th and off to Austria the next day. Used it for the week and only caught an edge a couple of times - and that would be me not the board !

Could certainly feel the difference in speed but struggled on heel edge when icy - again more me than the board.

Going again end of Feb so hopefully get a bit more used to it on the second go.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy