Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts that leave runs unpisted (even easy ones)

Poster: A snowHead
A lot of people thing that more runs should be left unpisted to increase skiing ability, decrease speed etc. Out of interest, anyone know of any resorts that leave more than a token number of runs unpisted? I am particularly interested in whether there are any resorts that leave a significant number of blue runs unpisted.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most of the Scottish ones?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler has a few blues that they do everyday but a heck of a lot they only do once a week on rotation. Long way to go though. There are many people who won't go back to Whistler because there is not enough that is groomed. Takes all sorts I suppose.

They can also get a heck of a lot of snow in a day and sing later in the day on a green can be quite a mogul field.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dobby, 'run' is English for 'piste' so I think the answer to your question is basically 'No'

It would be an un-runned run - which is an oxymoron even in French
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is mostly the harder runs left unpisted / unbashed (itineraries).

La Grave, France.
Pragelato, Italy.
St Anton, Austria.
Verbier, Switzerland.

Some baby resorts in New Zealand are known to leave slopes unpisted / unbashed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@red 27, uh, but "piste-ing" also tefers to grooming and runs to pistes, so entirely reasonable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anywhere in North America. They post the bits they groom. Places like Taos they groom one half and leave the moguls on the other.

I'm not sure why you'd want moguls on a blue run, although you can often find them there if you look. They probably won't "decrease speed" though - easy moguls are just launch pads...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Funny how piste is taken to mean groomed when it actually means "marked run" totally irrelevant of the surface condition. So not silly to ask if runs or pistes are left ungroomed or unbashed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kiroro, Hokkaido.

Much like many N American resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of the reasons I ski in the States a lot. Easy for Mrs L to go down a groomed run, me a parallel ungroomed run, and meet at the bottom.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't agree with this - but that's just my opinion. There's nothing wrong with grooming pistes. Yes, there are a few runs that are left ungroomed.

All grooming does is make the best conditions out of what is available. What's wrong with that?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
All grooming does is make the best conditions out of what is available. What's wrong with that?

I guess it depends on what you think is "best"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

+1.

That.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby wrote:
A lot of people thing that more runs should be left unpisted to increase skiing ability, decrease speed etc.
I suspect that leaving a large proportion of pistes "au naturel" would just mean that the prepared pistes become busier, perhaps with a higher number of collisions. I'd like to see some easier pistes left un-prepared to enable skiers to have an easier introduction to skiing unpisted snow, but with the security of hidden hazards (large rocks, tree stumps, etc) removed. But I don't think for one moment that there are a large number of skiers who would want the majority of pistes to be left in this state. Nor do I think it would do much to change attitudes about skiing without sufficient respect for your fellow slope users.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, you could say that about everything.

Snow that is groomed lasts a damn sight longer than snow that isn't groomed - just by the act of compaction. So, that makes the best of what is available.

Pistes usually only get groomed once of an evening - so, if it is dumping with snow all night, it'll get pisted once - then there's loads of lovely soft stuff on top... if they just left snow and didn't groom it at all, the states that lot would be in after a few days would be unthinkable! you want to ski stuff like that to 'improve your ability' - then why aren't you seeking out more off-piste? even in poor or very poor conditions?
latest report
@Mountain Addiction, have you been reading 'Trolling for Dummies'?
snow conditions
@Whitegold, I wouldn't say that St Anton leaves more than a token number of pistes ungroomed. There are a few fantastic itinerary slopes there, but you could probably ski the lot in a day. IIRC, even tiny Ste Foy has as many ungroomed slopes as St Anton. It's probably also worth adding Zermatt to the list - I haven't been there for a few years, but the whole area around Stockhorn used to be left gloriously unpisted.

If you want ungroomed snow without the costs and faff of a guide, North America is the place. They turn the grooming thing on its head: many resorts over there have only a token number of groomed runs and the punters love it, so North American skiing is often a pretty bad idea if you want to blast the pistes.
ski holidays
Quote:

Snow that is groomed lasts a damn sight longer than snow that isn't groomed ... that makes the best of what is available.

Granted, if the snow is (as now) in short supply. But not in normal or later season conditions. Just not necessary. Anyway, skiers do a degree of compaction anyway.

The problem, in my eyes, is that it's much harder to find a decent bump run these days.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, exactly what I want. Some easy but unbashed pistes as an intro to skiing unbashed pistes.
snow report
I've on rare occasion come across some pistes in France that would normally be pisted, be left ungroomed after a recent snowfall - it appeared to be for the enjoyment of the skiers, as most pistes were still groomed. The ones I can recall:

- a couple of red runs in Flaine that I'd skied before when groomed, but left alone on one occasion - enormous fun!
- a black in Combloux I've skied both groomed and ungroomed (after a fresh snowfall, all runs leading up to it and after were groomed)
- the main blue in Brevent I've seen after a snowfall where it had been groomed the night before, then in the morning only the central part of the (very wide) blue was groomed again, leaving excellent practice terrain at the sides, still onpiste, for beginners, or just people having fun Smile
snow report
leggyblonde wrote:
Quote:

I'd rather makes turns on grass than corduroy Toofy Grin

Stop The Brutal Grooming !

snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
@Mountain Addiction, have you been reading 'Trolling for Dummies'?

Careful, i might have to install an independent thought alarm if all my opinions are against the grain of what is generally considered acceptable by the masses.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
leggyblonde wrote:
Quote:

I'd rather makes turns on grass than corduroy Toofy Grin

Stop The Brutal Grooming !

Looks like you will be if this weather carries on any more.... wonder what you'd rather be skiing on then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Snow that is groomed lasts a damn sight longer than snow that isn't groomed ... that makes the best of what is available.

Granted, if the snow is (as now) in short supply. But not in normal or later season conditions. Just not necessary. Anyway, skiers do a degree of compaction anyway.

The problem, in my eyes, is that it's much harder to find a decent bump run these days.

This is true, but it shouldn't automatically connect to leaving a certain percent of pistes ungroomed... I hate bump runs, don't mind a bumpy section but pump runs give me the heeby jeebies, my poor knees can't handle then, but then for the last 20 years they've had a lot of damage done to them Sad
latest report
Quote:

+1
I would never say "Don't groom anything!" It's great to find a quiet piste without big bumps and try to get your elbow to touch the snow in the turn but it's also nice to do a bump run as well, not to mention offpiste.

Quote:

you want to ski stuff like that to 'improve your ability' - then why aren't you seeking out more off-piste? even in poor or very poor conditions?

offpiste and ungroomed piste are nothing like each other unless it is just after a dump.

I'm going on the Birthday bash and the warm up week primarily because of the other people going, not for the Sella Ronda ski area where everything is groomed every night, there are no black runs that can remotely be regarded as "Very difficult"
snow report
stanton wrote:

I'd rather makes turns on grass

No surprise there - I get the impression you Cloggies are 'on grass' most of the time rolling eyes
ski holidays
Jonny Jones wrote:
@Whitegold, I wouldn't say that St Anton leaves more than a token number of pistes ungroomed. There are a few fantastic itinerary slopes there, but you could probably ski the lot in a day. IIRC, even tiny Ste Foy has as many ungroomed slopes as St Anton. It's probably also worth adding Zermatt to the list - I haven't been there for a few years, but the whole area around Stockhorn used to be left gloriously unpisted..

If you ad the itienaries in Lech, Zurs and Warth you get a fair few though.

Glencoe is my personal favourite, they groom the main basin and some lower runs but do leave some other runs natural, maybe with occasionaly grooming
ski holidays
Quote:

+1

A couple more runs per resort left to go mogully and I'm happy. For ungroomed snow I can go off-piste but you need a certain volume of traffic to get good bumps.

Quote:

offpiste and ungroomed piste are nothing like each other unless it is just after a dump

Well... not really. A week after a dump, a lot of the popular off-piste lines will look a lot like ungroomed pistes but probably a bit more chalky and somewhat less bumpy.

Quote:

I'd rather makes turns on grass than corduroy

Bizarre. I like every kind of skiing. I can't understand why any decent skier wouldn't enjoy taking advantage of corduroy to ramp up to extreme edge angles and feel the g force.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
But I don't think for one moment that there are a large number of skiers who would want the majority of pistes to be left in this state.

I'm sure you're right - but only in Europe. The bump runs are typically as busy as the groomers in the North American resorts that I've visited, though.

You enjoy what you're good at; you get good at what you practice; and you practice when you have an opportunity. European skiers don't get much opportunity to ski bumps, so they end up hating them. American skiers get loads of opportunities, so they love bumps.

If European resort were managed differently, we'd soon see a generation of skiers that demanded bumps. I think the relatively recent trend of converting groomed runs into itineraries is entirely a Good Thing. Long may it continue!
latest report
In Sauze d-oulx last year all the runs were ungroomed for almost all of our holiday. It was fun on the first day and then absolutely rubbish.
latest report
@Mountain Addiction, you're being very defensive about grooming when all the OP asked was where they could find ungroomed ones to practice. I don't see anything to 'disagree' with there. Seems like trying to pick a fight?
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
I'm sure you're right - but only in Europe.
Agreed. I think it might be a 'cultural' thing, as you suggest, but I also think there's a snowfall related aspect. If resort gets frequent falls of fresh snow, so ungroomed runs are often chopped up powder, turning to soft, well-spaced bumps, before turning to powder again with the next snowfall, then lots of prepared but ungroomed runs would be great. But the reality of ungroomed runs for most Euro resorts is heavily mogulled, misshapen, icy steps, with rocks peeking through at the bottom of some troughs. I doubt that many skiers would find that much fun.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:
I think the relatively recent trend of converting groomed runs into itineraries is entirely a Good Thing. Long may it continue!
Indeed Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

But the reality of ungroomed runs for most Euro resorts is heavily mogulled, misshapen, icy steps, with rocks peeking through at the bottom of some troughs. I doubt that many skiers would find that much fun.

some truth in that
snow conditions
Quote:

European skiers don't get much opportunity to ski bumps, so they end up hating them.

That's because of all the brutal grooming!!

It was very different 20 years ago.

@Mountain Addiction,
Quote:
bump runs give me the heeby jeebies, my poor knees can't handle them

Bumps shouldn't be hard on your knees. If they are, you aren't skiing them correctly.
snow report
the bump isn't hard on my knees, but i don't have the strength in my knees to control myself properly
snow conditions
Jonny Jones wrote:

If European resort were managed differently, we'd soon see a generation of skiers that demanded bumps. I think the relatively recent trend of converting groomed runs into itineraries is entirely a Good Thing. Long may it continue!

It that the generation that is in "the park" skiing rails etc ? or even on the SkiCross course
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
@Mountain Addiction, you're being very defensive about grooming when all the OP asked was where they could find ungroomed ones to practice. I don't see anything to 'disagree' with there. Seems like trying to pick a fight?

Not picking a fight - The first line of the OPs post is this ' A lot of people thing that more runs should be left unpisted to increase skiing ability, decrease speed etc.' so I said I disagee. Then i said i hated bumps... urg... I hate bumps. Not being arguementative at all. Little Angel
latest report
In most places I've skied in Switzerland, although the pistes are groomed, they're not bashed motorway-flat - you still get lots of rollers, compressions, weird cambers etc
ski holidays
Perhaps a few more. They have always been my favourite. Maybe there could be some that are groomed every 2 or 3 days. But then I am definitely in a minority in my group. Everyone else prefers the daily groom. But there's always the bits to the side of the piste and the created moguls and, of course, the late afternoon pistes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy