Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Thought it could do with a topic as im going, but i think i might be the only one...

A light dusting high up today i thunk.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's reasonable amount of piste available at this stage. I've still got nearly a month to wait. It will be good enough whatever comes...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yup most lifts appear open even if they are rationing pistes a little at this stage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was skiing there on Monday and was very impressed by the area in general.

We mainly skied around the Serfeus area. There was a lot of bare ground around the pistes but the snow itself was pretty good and still in decent nick when we downloaded at 3pm. It was fairly chilly so the cannons were working, although by mid pm the sun was lifting the temperatures a bit. There is also some really high slopes on the south (?) of the ski area (furthest left on the piste map). There was loads of snow here.

I would imagine a dusting or two will keep the conditions fairly similar for the next week or two but it will need a decent dump to open up more runs from what I could see. If that happens then I would imagine this will be a really excellent ski area. It also looked very well kitted out for beginners and children.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading out in mid-March.

All info gratefully received.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well glad i started this thread - im out late Jan
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hobbiteater, well done - I'm in Fiss on Jan 10th so I will file a report accordingly
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arrived on Saturday and first ski day yesterday. Hats off to the piste crew who've done a cracking job getting 93km of runs open. Skied around Plansegg yesterday with my daughter, very icy as the day went on and then Skied into Fiss late afternoon and it really was not pleasant although it might help if I could be be arsed to surrender my fat skis and hire some carvers snowHead

This morning was surprisingly good, even the ski out to the village was decent. Again, similar story around Plansegg as the day went on but then I ventured up Peizid late afternoon (front side is closed) and the ski down from there into the valley towards Scheid was actually quite nice. The ski down from Scheid was boiler platish but I ventured off the side into the gulleys into really nice chalky, grippy snow.

Have to give a big shout out to the ski school they have a big reputation and they deliver. My son is in the Snow Stars programme again and he is absolutely flying already, and the hour private for my daughter today was money well spent.

There are so many nice looking lines here I'm looking forward to coming back when there's snow snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another beautiful day today, temperature at mid station Fiss at lunch was +10 but noticeably colder late afternoon and it it looked like they were prepping snow cannons above 2000m in anticipation of freezing level dropping in next few days.

Very busy everywhere this morning, made my way across to Masnerkopf for the first time. The run on the front face (skiers left) was open, not sure if it's a marked run or itinerary. Unfortunately didn't get to ski it as I was with my high speed snowploughing daughter! From the top of the Masnerkopf you really get to see the possibilities for touring here and just how big this place is.

My 10 year old lad was tested on avalanche and emergency procedures at ski school today, another big thumbs up for them. Got a good recommendation for a boot Doctor in town so going to remortgage the house and get some new ones tomorrow.

Don think the snow forecast on Thursday is a game changer but the drop in freezing levels is most welcome as some of the runs are on their last legs.

@Mike Pow, Lift queues are a bit different to Kiroro here wink

Going to check out Nordzeiten tomorrow and ski the ribbon of snow to Ladis just so I can say I've skied there snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, the snow cannons were running to resort level this morning which was good news. Conditions high up were decent this morning but the afternoon was minging. There were loads of accidents, unfortunately there has been all week, two very serious ones on the ski down from Scheid Sad

My lad finished his four days with the Snowstars programme but not without having another test - this time on piste etiquette. You've Gotta love these Austrians snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Guernseyfreerider, great updates - thanks.

Have you been over to the Nordsite of Fiss? Normally the best conditions, barring the heights of Manser
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27, Not yet, chatted to a couple of lads yesterday who said it was good after midday. Also Spoke to a local guy who said the mountains just the other side of it are great for touring and have their own little micro climate. It looks a good place to go in bad weather as even yesterday the wind was whistling down the valley from Masner direction.

In other news: There was a Fire on the slopes in Rauris yesterday. Apparently some numpty threw a fag end out of the gondola and whoosh!. To make it worse they used water reserved for snowmaking. They had to close 3/5 slopes that were open. There was also a small fire here on the slopes in Serfaus started by a firework - you really don't expect to see a fire engine at the bottom of a ski slope!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also heard first British accents all week yesterday, let's keep it that way people wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Change in the weather today, really humid this morning and a change in the snow, nice and grippy pretty much everywhere. Traded in my fat skis and hired some carvers and had great fun although legs were in bits by the end of the day. Did Masner a couple of times and for some reason there were very few people around and no lift lines. It started to snow around midday but very lightly and threatened to dump late afternoon and then just stopped Sad

Had a recommendation for lunch from some fellow hotel guests to eat at Lawenspavilion. It's at the bottom of the Lawensbahn chairlift. Only half a dozen dishes on the menu but cracking little place (they don't take cards) and in typical Austrian style they just asked me to drop off cash in the morning.

Late afternoon skied to the mid station of Alpkopfhbahn and had a couple of rides on the bobsled/coaster which is now open in the winter. Great fun for adults and kids and very popular.

After skiing bumped into the one and only Konrad Bartelski in the depot at the base station. He was an absolute gent. Got the obligatory selfie and had a chat. He was telling me he last skied here in 1968!

There was meant to be a firework ban but that didn't stop a display lasting at least 25 mins - this village has got some cash!

Happy New Year to all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Guernseyfreerider,HNY to you and thanks for the excellent reports.

Not much more than a dusting forecast over the next few days, but it will be colder at least so hopefully they'll be able to get the cannons going
snow report
A little dusting on the slopes this morning, no more than 2 or 3 cm but better than a slap in the chops and quite fun to play in the bits where it had accumulated. It looks like they are gearing up to open the front side of Pezid, lots of snowmaking and it won't need much more coverage when the snow comes.

Nasty accident at the bottom of the schuss at the bottom of Scheid down to the Lausalbahn. To be honest I'm surprised there haven't been more, the crazy thing is you really don't need to straight line it as there is a rope tow that gives you a helping hand at the bottom to the lift. When you have 15 or so people schussing at a time it's going to end in tears.

Anyway my work here is done, decided not to bother skiing tomorrow so getting transfer back to Innsbruck late morning.

Overall the skiing has been surprisingly good. I was in Lech ten days ago and although they had more open the quality of the skiing here has been better.

Just the small matter of booking next year now...

snowHead
snow conditions
A much needed 15cm overnight and suddenly everything looks white Smile

Whether that - and the forecasted top-ups this week - will enable them to get a bit more than the the current 93km (out of 260km) opened up remains to be seen...
snow conditions

Kaunertal glacier was pretty nice today
snow conditions
It snowed most of the day today and winds shut some of the higher stuff although not many people fancied that anyway as the viz was not the best

I would put piste conditions at 4/10 today and am anticipating a slight improvement after the 15cm or so that fell today

They could do with getting all the cannons going when the cold to top up while they can
snow report
red 27,

It's surprising that you have rated the pistes as only 4/10. We skied at Fiss 2 days ago and (though only 50%of pistes were open) thought conditions were excellent. We would have given it a 7/10 - nice, grippy snow and some pockets of shallow powder, particularly on the steep black "over the back" from Ladis. We rate that as one of the best pistes we've ever skied. Sorry I can't remember the name of the run but the bottom is near a lovely little alm restaurant and the gondola taking you back up has the animals on the side...

I'm pleased we tried Fiss again, as we went for a day last January and fell out with it. It was very busy and all runs were scraped to hell, with no decent snow to speak of. Despite being 100% open then, we rated our visit 2 days ago as 10 times better.
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, interesting point.. You're right in that what is open is in good nick, I deducted marks for lots of the good stuff being shut

Was better today and it snowed lightly all day again so things are on the up

Very quiet too which helps
snow conditions
Snowed all night, still snowing and things are now looking VERY wintery
ski holidays
10 days to go Happy
ski holidays
@hobbiteater, good timing.... Hammered down again all day and all the guns going too, I think everything will be open by next week. Looks absolutely stunning and very much like deep winter

Avi blasting tonight and tomorrow promises to be an epic powder day - or as much as one as I can cram in before the train to ZCH snowHead
latest report
Thursday was my last day - lots of powder but also lots of wind and avi blasting.

Lots more runs were being prepared for opening, among them Direct route to Fiss & the main run down to Serfaus from the Konigsleithebahn
snow report
I've been skiing in Nauders for the last few days, it's a wee resort about 10km further down the road towards Italy. Pistes are in first class condition, firm and grippy pretty much everywhere.
snow report
@Valkyrie, Have you tried the dumplings at the Goldseehütte? (bottom of Tscheyeck)
ski holidays
Sunday 20 March 2016
Day 1
Based in Fiss, so just skied Fiss.
Dry chalky snow on the backside, full spring on the front.
Sunshine. 4-8 C
Glorious day
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monday 21 March 2016
Day 2
Skied over to Serfaus. Great long runs and fantastic children's areas. Skiing with my 7 year old nephew and he's loving the themed forest runs and kid's park.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 22-03-16 15:37; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Tuesday 22 March 2016
Day 3
Still sunny but cooler, so the snow stayed better for longer.

Dry chalky snow on the backside of Fiss and down to Ladis.

My nephew loved the snowpark jumps, berms and tunnels.

Best day yet.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Are you planning to do any touring or join a freeride group?
latest report
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@Mike Pow, Are you planning to do any touring or join a freeride group?

Not this trip. All about the family. The terrain looks magnificent though, and I'd love to return to ski the more challenging stuff. Of which, there is loads. LOADS Happy
latest report
Wednesday 23 March 2016
Day 4

Much colder, especially in the Pezid area.

Snowing lightly. Pistes in great shape.

The run down to Ladis one of the best out there IMHO
latest report
Thursday 24 March 2016
Day 5

A little snow overnight to freshen the pistes.

Sunshine and another trip down to Ladis.
snow report
Friday 25 March 2016
Day 6

5cm overnight and snowing lightly.

My 7 year old nephew back on skis after a 48 hr bug.

Skied down to Ladis in perfect conditions. Had a play in the Indian Village.

Then back around to Fiss and up to the top of Schonjoch.

Quick lap through the 'Fun Slope' to Genuss Restaurant Zirbenhutte for lunch.

Then Schonjoch down to Fiss on 52, 51 & 50 via the 'Enchanted Forest' and 'Pirate Ship'.

He clocked up 19.5km and a little over 3000 vertical metres and more importantly skied way more parallel than plow.

Very happy days Smile
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, tis a great resort and ski area, your report is reminding me that I really need to go back!!
snow conditions
Saturday 26 March 2016
Day 7

5-20 cm overnight right down to Fiss village level.

Woke to winter wonderland and sunshine.

Nerys & I skied an extra day with my brother, sister-in-law and nephew. They were leaving on the Sunday. We drove to Bolzano after skiing on the Saturday.

Quietest day of the week.

Skied down to Ladis in perfect conditions. Great grooming with up to boot top dry powder on top.

Then back around to Fiss and up to the top of Schonjoch.

Quick laps through the 'Fun Slope' and the race course with my nephew before lunch at Genuss Restaurant Zirbenhutte again.

Then Schonjoch down to Fiss on 52, 51 & 50 via the 'Enchanted Forest' and 'Pirate Ship' and mini-park.

Perfect end to an amazing week.

Can't recommend Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis and especially Hotel Lasinga, Fiss highly enough.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy