Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping in Europe, especially Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I've also read complaints from employers as well. A restaurateur wrote an article recently stating that it was very difficult to run a decent restaurant in many areas because of the tipping system. The waiters got such high wages from tips that it was impossible to get staff to do any other jobs including finding decent chefs as it was so much more lucrative and less demanding waiting on tables.

Are you not expected to go into the kitchen and tip the cooking staff as well!

most places put the tips in a jar and divide it equally amongst all employees.

I do know one place locally where the owner also takes a percentage of these tips as well, but that's another story! Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

it cuts even deeper when a server provides excellent service to an American who then doesn't tip, as the employee will know that if they were working in the holiday makers home town they would have got 10%.

As I mentioned above, my experience in the US has been that you get a bad reaction if the tip is less than 20%.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddiethebus wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I've also read complaints from employers as well. A restaurateur wrote an article recently stating that it was very difficult to run a decent restaurant in many areas because of the tipping system. The waiters got such high wages from tips that it was impossible to get staff to do any other jobs including finding decent chefs as it was so much more lucrative and less demanding waiting on tables.

I do know one place locally where the owner also takes a percentage of these tips as well, but that's another story! Sad

Varies. Some places split with the kitchen, others didn't.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That is one of the problems - you never know who will receive the benefit, unless you make enquiries, which most people can't be bothered to do. My step-daughter was actually sacked by a London restaurant, because she was seen pocketing a £20 tip, which she had been assured was to reward her personally for her attentive service. If she was breaking the rules, then maybe fair enough, but it seems a crazy system that you're unable to reward the person who has gone the extra mile.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddiethebus wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

A few months ago, Mrs Dougie and myself went to a curry house in Leeds. The food was excellent and so was the service. When it came to the bill, I told the waiter that I didn't have any cash and could I include a tip n the bill paying by card. He told me that under no circumstances are we to leave a tip because ANY tip, cash or card, the owner takes off them and keeps. He told us that they have all been threatened with the sack if they were found to be holding back any tips. I will never go there again even though the food was great.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is an interesting Freakonomics podcast somewhere about a restaurant owner in the US who specifically banned tips because he wanted to pay all workers fairly and encourage teamwork rather than the competitive environment tipping can facilitate. The worst complaints he had was from certain male customers who still wanted to tip because they otherwise felt emasculated.[/code]
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tosses. Tip got good detvice😎. Not just for delivering the food. Or for something special ,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Tosses. Tip got good detvice😎. Not just for delivering the food. Or for something special ,

Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry tossers.
For
Service.

Gist? You get???
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Filthyphil30k,
Could you translate tomorrow please snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All God here. Tip of good setvice.

Don't if not.

Just had lap dance with whiff of poo, no tip.

Jesus, 5 hours till work!!!!;/(
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@musher, trying to be helpful,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought I'd responded this morning to thank you all. Yes, the USA is a mess with respect to tipping. As someone noted, wait staff are expected to earn tips and are exempt from minimum wage. Tips are often their primary source of income. They don't think of it as a gratuity for good service, it's their source of income. Very idiotic system. We routinely tip 20% on meals at restaurants unless the service is very bad and it's clear the wait staff is screwing off. I once left a penny to a person who was just flagrantly giving us bad service. But was wondering what was expected and what was appreciated in Europe. I won't feel uncomfortable not tipping 20% on a couple of beers, or a coffee, or a lunch...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RISkier, Just please don't get them used to big tips, as in creeping Americanisation of tipping culture in Europe! Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:

I don't tip ski instructors - never too sure about that, though.

Maybe I can offer something to clear this up?

If the Instructor does a good job, why not tip them?

The Instructor could let your lesson be dull and boring, exercise after exercise. However if they make it a bit of fun, break up the exercises nicely, always make sure you are comfortable, engage with you in conversation on the lifts etc...why not tip them?

If they are teaching your kids and they have a great time, why would you not tip them?

In a group scenario, I can understand it may be a bit embarrassing as you may be the only one offering a tip, but you could do it discreetly if it makes you feel better. Alternatively you could speak to your fellow students and organise a group 'whip round'...it's not difficult.

An Instructor (or guide for that matter) will always appreciate a tip even if you did buy them lunch and a beer.

If giving a tip, do so with what ever amount you are comfortable with.....(yes, some people do tip large amounts)

Added benefit of tipping may be that the Instructor remembers you next time and makes sure you get tip top service.
snow report
Interesting thread. I have lived and worked in several European countries and I can with absolute certainty tell you that in most places tipping is expected, and that Brits are well know for being stingy about it! Seriously - Austrians, Germans and Swiss all tip somewhere around 10%, more for great service. I don't know where the perception came from that Europeans don't tip and don't expect to be tipped but it is not true. What is true is the tipping culture is completely out of control in America and the expectation is much more modest in Europe.

I would say stop being so stingy and offer a (reasonable) tip when you get good service. And recognise that if you don't you are perpetuating two myths - the first that Europeans don't expect a tip and the second that Brits are tightwads!
latest report
Re low US wages, it`s worth pointing out that the cost of living is generally much lower in the States than Europe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy