Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skitouring banned in Flachau this season

Poster: A snowHead
@Mountain Addiction,

They can separate X-Country & Alpine skiing because the routes don't cross.
I don't ski tour to make money and the lift companies know they couldn't extract the same amount of revenue from a ski tourer as they can with an alpine skier.
Yes there are people who buy all the ski touring gear and never get away from the piste (even though they could - unlike people with prolasped discs), these people most likely drive SUV's up and down the M1. ;o) .... but it's hitting the majority with a complete season ban based on actions of the minority.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB wrote:
Mountain Addiction wrote:
miranda wrote:
Right, so you have your own valid reasons for using lifts + pistes and tourers have their equally valid reasons for using pistes… I really don't understand why you dug yourself into this "lazy man" argument Confused

What... that makes no sense. I said about the technical and theory said of it, not about the fitness side of it.... you're actively choosing to avoid that.

I'm clicking through every time I ski, and i'm heading in the direction of travel the piste was designed for. If you came to me with the arguement that I was a Mountain Biker being stopped from riding down a path on a mountain that was specifically designed for hiking UP the mountain then perhaps that would be a comparative, but using the resort as it was designed is not comparative.

If a mountainbike route runs over an existing walking route the walker has right of way. (I'm an alpine skier, ski tourer, mountainbiker and mountain walker with klettersteig / via ferrata)

But i'm talking about if a mountain biker decided to use the walking path - not the MTB trail crossing the Hiking trail
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
@Mountain Addiction,

They can separate X-Country & Alpine skiing because the routes don't cross.
I don't ski tour to make money and the lift companies know they couldn't extract the same amount of revenue from a ski tourer as they can with an alpine skier.
Yes there are people who buy all the ski touring gear and never get away from the piste (even though they could - unlike people with prolasped discs), these people most likely drive SUV's up and down the M1. ;o) .... but it's hitting the majority with a complete season ban based on actions of the minority.

Lols.

I know their routes don't cross, that's the point of the seperation - and it makes sense to seperate. If they did the same then no one would have to worry about tourers on the piste if they have their own designated areas.

They may not be able to extract the equivilant amount of cash from a tourer, but if they provided in bound terrain, or designated routes/areas then they could seperate the 2 easily enough and not add to the resorts work load any hugely significant amount plus it would give them an additional revenue stream, that's got to be a good thing for both parties right?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
miranda wrote:
Right, so you have your own valid reasons for using lifts + pistes and tourers have their equally valid reasons for using pistes… I really don't understand why you dug yourself into this "lazy man" argument Confused

What... that makes no sense. I said about the technical and theory said of it, not about the fitness side of it.... you're actively choosing to avoid that.

I'm clicking through every time I ski, and i'm heading in the direction of travel the piste was designed for. If you came to me with the arguement that I was a Mountain Biker being stopped from riding down a path on a mountain that was specifically designed for hiking UP the mountain then perhaps that would be a comparative, but using the resort as it was designed is not comparative.

If a mountainbike route runs over an existing walking route the walker has right of way. (I'm an alpine skier, ski tourer, mountainbiker and mountain walker with klettersteig / via ferrata)

But i'm talking about if a mountain biker decided to use the walking path - not the MTB trail crossing the Hiking trail

????? The walking route was there first.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So why are so many people arguing about it in the lake district...? because there seems to be a confussion on the subject.

I know that as a hiker I'd have right of way on a hiking path, BUT bikers are more and more coming on to hiking paths, even where they're not safe - narrow ridges (no where to move for either party) The hiking path is not designed for bikers, it was not built/maintained for bikers. And in SOME instances the pistes aren't cutting up touring paths - some pistes were built for downhill without intersecting or touring route. I get that it is annoying when they stop Tourers accessing the touring route that pre-existed the piste, but when a piste was built for skiing, or a hiking path built for hiking then surely to use it as a tourer OR an MTBer (depending on the season) how can there be an arguement that the tourer had use of that route first or right of access?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
BUT bikers are more and more coming on to hiking paths,

In Les Arcs more and more hikers are coming on the downhill MTB paths... now that is scary dangerous.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arctic Roll wrote:
Quote:
BUT bikers are more and more coming on to hiking paths,

In Les Arcs more and more hikers are coming on the downhill MTB paths... now that is scary dangerous.

that is dangerous, and any proper hiker should know not to do that - I'd have no problem if they banned access in those areas where that is happening.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well. That escalated.

I hardly ever see ski tourers, and I really can't see an issue with them walking up the side of the piste. It's a shame this situation has come about, it's obviously upset a lot of people who love touring.

Hopefully they won't enforce the ban too strictly, and there will be more snow very soon so the tourers can find alternative routes.

FWIW @Mountain Addiction, you just seem to be arguing for the sake of it! Live and let live, it's Christmas!! xx
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think they should ban hikers from any man-made or man-maintained paths… do the lazy feckers not get that the mountains are about something primal, something totally remote and uninhabited, something wild that answers to no one and cannot be tamed? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
miranda wrote:
I think they should ban hikers from any man-made or man-maintained paths… do the lazy feckers not get that the mountains are about something primal, something totally remote and uninhabited, something wild that answers to no one and cannot be tamed? wink

And HoneyBunny said I was arguing for the sake of it Shocked

most aren't maintained (where i've live any way) Toofy Grin even when there are landslides. you just gotta have enough nouse to know what to do when you reach it. Paths on tours like TMB are maintained, but I don't hike it nor like it.

Sometimes a refuge owner will come along and do something to a path, but mostly so tourists can get to his hut - most un hutted paths are just left alone
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, I put a little wink after my post as it was clearly a joke. However, I don't believe that there are no signposts anywhere on any of the routes you hike, no touch of humankind at all, and that they are all primal and wild and untamed etc. etc. You use mechanical lifts, groomed pistes and summer routes that have been 'tamed' by humankind… just like everyone else.

So anyway, Merry Christmas, enjoy your season, and rejoice in the fact that you don't have to deal with all those difficult and argumentative chalet clients you kept encountering snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We normally do trips like this so you can imagine how exciting skinning up the pistes is.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2519665&highlight=vent#2519665
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
miranda wrote:
Actually, I put a little wink after my post as it was clearly a joke. However, I don't believe that there are no signposts anywhere on any of the routes you hike, no touch of humankind at all, and that they are all primal and wild and untamed etc. etc. You use mechanical lifts, groomed pistes and summer routes that have been 'tamed' by humankind… just like everyone else.

So anyway, Merry Christmas, enjoy your season, and rejoice in the fact that you don't have to deal with all those difficult and argumentative chalet clients you kept encountering snowHead

clearly you didn't get the irony of my post... but hey.

i'm not really that interested what you believe with regards to my hikes. i go because i go, it's between me and the mountain. no one else.

and some times no matter how much you try you just can't help what some people choose to think of you, no matter how much they choose to misunderstand you. oh well, c'est la vie, i'm big enough to cope with it... are you.

When I worked in the chalet I had to bite my lip and nod along with a smile on my face because people on holiday aren't interested in any one elses opinions, now as i'm tag suggests I'm free... FREE I TELL YOU mwahahhahahha... I'll say what i want Skullie
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do that anyway!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@flangesax,
That's why you end up with scarpa every year wink
snow conditions
Whilst they might be banned in Flachau there were a fair few heading up from Alpendorf today. Always to the side, never any problem (for me at least).
snow report
DB wrote:
We normally do trips like this so you can imagine how exciting skinning up the pistes is.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2519665&highlight=vent#2519665

Very nice.
ski holidays
Anyone who can be arsed to walk up a mountain deserves a pint in my view. I'm always in awe of those trekking up in winter. Crack on.
snow report
In Switzerland it is already illegal to tour up an open piste, although i have never seen it enforced or cared about
snow report
SkiRider wrote:
In Switzerland it is already illegal to tour up an open piste, although i have never seen it enforced or cared about

Seeing more and more from Les Collons and Veysonnaz going up to Thyon and further, can't see the problem myself. Live and let live.
snow report
On piste ski touring is illegal in many French resorts where the controls are more (or less) enforced. In Chamrousse the police are out and the fine is 38 euros if they catch you!

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/isere/grenoble/chamrousse-la-police-veille-au-respect-des-regles-de-securite-sur-les-pistes-de-ski-892477.html
snow report
@davidof, In Alpe d'Huez it is most likely to be groups of military, or sometimes police, skinning up the pistes so maybe we should get some white coats and some crappy old ex army skis Very Happy It always amuses me how the instructor in the lead looks to have state of the art gear and the young recruits following have the standard army boots and white skis that they then proceed to ski back down on in fairly haphazard fashion. Some of the groups set what looks to me like a cracking pace skinning up though and I guess you do not see them skiing down because they have continued off over the other side of the mountain somewhere. Did not see them there this Christmas so maybe that is because of the conditions.
Is there not some history in Chamrousse of a guy going ski touring after work and being run down, (and killed ?) a few years back by a piste basher ?
latest report
SkiRider wrote:

I didn't realise that. Over the last fortnight in Zermatt there have been a load of tourers coming up the pistes - for the obvious reason that there were very few other places for them to climb. Mind you there have been even more coming up on the Cervinia side - I would swear that on one quiet morning there seemed to be more of them coming up than us going down. I am doing my first ever ski touring in Verbier at the end of Feb. As that is with a guide I assume he won't be taking us up the piste given what you say.
latest report
skitow wrote:
@davidof, In Alpe d'Huez it is most likely to be groups of military, or sometimes police, skinning up the pistes so maybe we should get some white coats and some crappy old ex army skis Very Happy It always amuses me how the instructor in the lead looks to have state of the art gear and the young recruits following have the standard army boots and white skis that they then proceed to ski back down on in fairly haphazard fashion. Some of the groups set what looks to me like a cracking pace skinning up though and I guess you do not see them skiing down because they have continued off over the other side of the mountain somewhere. Did not see them there this Christmas so maybe that is because of the conditions.
Is there not some history in Chamrousse of a guy going ski touring after work and being run down, (and killed ?) a few years back by a piste basher ?

I believe you are right about the accident. There have been a few involving cables decapitating ski tourers after dark.

A friend who was in one of the mountain regiments, but who could actually ski, said the level of skiing was terrible as most of the recruits had never even seen snow before. That said, I did a race a few years back and all the top racers were military from a Lyon regiment.
ski holidays
SkiRider wrote:

Not according to the Swiss Alpine Club...

http://files.gadmin.ch/60191?CFID=70783977&CFTOKEN=82895172
latest report
snoozeboy wrote:
SkiRider wrote:

Not according to the Swiss Alpine Club...

http://files.gadmin.ch/60191?CFID=70783977&CFTOKEN=82895172

It is a similar situation to France with a patchwork of bye-laws banning or restricting ski tourers.
snow report
Just looking at the events page on Flachau tourist info - they are happily selling ski-touring trips, e.g. a breakfast tour starting at 7am
latest report
http://www.thelocal.at/20160222/ski-town-plagued-by-dog-poo-on-the-pistes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy