Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tracking Device / App

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone use a device or maybe an iphone app which tracks which runs you completed that day/week

Does anyone use an app that should a parent go onto the slopes 1.5 hours later she can track where her son's are? (Yes a mobile call could be made)

Anyone use - Trace.com. Any opinions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crystal Holidays have a Ski Explorer app that shows where other linked app users are in relation to the piste map . . .downloaded the app but haven't tested it yet . . .its free
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Ski+ is quite popular for tracking skiing. It registers mileage, vertical drop etc. but I haven't used it personally.

Re your second question there is an app called Find my friends which just allows you to find the phone of anyone that has accepted you as a friend in the app and them to find you. So it would require your sons' consent, but I hope you'd get that anyway. I have found it quite useful when trying to find my OH if he has been picking me up in the city, but I haven't been known the street names, as it literally places them on the map. Not sure if it would be as useful on the mountain where there are no street names to work off.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oops didn't see Belch's reply - that sounds a better solution.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lauka wrote:
Oops didn't see Belch's reply - that sounds a better solution.

Also does the stats tracking if that's your thing - not sure whether its as good as Ski Tracks but the interface looks straightforward . . .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I meant Traceup.com
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got an app called Fatmap on my phone. It is specific to resorts and only a few covered at the moment, but many more on the way. It will both track the user and track other users. I haven't used it yet on the hill so can't comment on the effectiveness of this feature but it could be a game changer. If you click on the link below there is a free demo version available for GM in Chamonix but worth a look to see the principle.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski Tracks. Brilliant app!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use the iSki app... works OK, you'll get some great speeds registered if you forget to pause it whilst on the skibus rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiTracks, I've used it for a few years now (before that it was a Nokia proprietary app that I can't remember the name of).

This year, I might also try out the PortesduSoleil app. I've used Resort apps in the past to see which runs are open, but the latest update of this app also allows you to enter:-
-Start position
-End Position
-Duration
-Ski-ability

And it works out an itinerary for you
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Tracks is the best I've used but also quite like Trace Snow ( good if a group of you use it).
I run both at the same time which seems to work well.

I tried the Crystal Ski Explorer one, it looked good but 2 of the first 4 days I used it it recorded nothing so gave up after that.
Also when I tried to follow the Recommended routes on my first day in Champoc it told me to ski UP one run and then get a lift down the other side. I may try it again this year though, might have just been teething problems.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I generally use one called Ski Blackbox these days to track where I've been though doesn't have the 'friends' feature so far as I know.

One general tip, regardless of which app you use - limit your mobile connection speed to 2G during the day. Sure your web browsing speeds will be painfully slow/you won't be able to instantly upload your pics to Facebook while up the mountain but it will mean you still have battery left at the end of the day. Running a GPS tracker app my phone dies mid-afternoon if I forget to change it. If I remember to set it to 2G in the morning I'll get back to the chalet with about 30% left.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I turn all data off to save cost and battery. May run it this year as prices I believe have come down but will have to check with me operator first as I would not want to pay much for it as the GPS does not require it on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy