Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What should I expect?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am going to hire some skis this winter instead of taken my trusty Salomon Aero which I have had for the past eight years. This is based on wanting to try something new but not knowing what to expect.

Can anyone explain what I will notice if I were to hire a super duper set of skis and how this will make me ski? I generally ski on the piste so I would be looking for a piste based ski
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would imagine they will feel very different to what you have now, but even new skis there some many different variations you just need to try some out and find ones that you like.

I recently bought skis, I spent a weekend demoing a whole bunch of them at Xscape. I'm pretty sure you can do the same in resort, just try different ones.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you can be bothered to change your skis every day or couple of days, tell the hire shop that you're interested in trying out different skis. I did that a few years ago before buying new skis and it was extremely helpful. Out of four pairs that I tried, one suited me far more than the others and I managed to buy them back in the UK.

A super duper set of skis won't necessarily make you ski better unless your technique is already decent, but if you find some that really suit you it can make a real difference.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pompeyc, if you provide more information about your skiing ability and height/weight you may find that snowheads start recommending specific models and lengths for you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its not the ski type I was looking for it was the difference between one type of ski to another. I've been skiing for years and get away twice at year at present but only ever use the same set of skis. So what I thought would be an interesting thought was how one type of ski compares to another or how they would make you ski differently.

In January I'm off to France and decided not to take my skis and hire from the local shop as its pretty cheap and might give me a bit more insight into the equipment we use. They offer a package where you can exchange your skis each day as you decide what's right for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting question. I'm in a similar situation where I decided to leave my Volkl rtm75 at home and try something different. There seems to be three gategories/prices when renting. Being a decent intermediate the cheapest is not an option, but what can I gain when selecting the top instead of the mid?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The more advanced piste skis will generally be stiffer, often with the addition of titanal (metal alloy) layers or some other proprietary technology to give better performance/damping/stability at higher speeds. For example, the Head i.Supershape range stiffen up when you ski harder - I was sceptical about this until I tried then bought some.

Some advanced skis (not all) can have quite a kick from the tail at the end of a carved turn, i.e. they make you accelerate out of the turn and that can throw you off balance if your technique is not up to the ski's level of ability.

Some are quite lively and their rebound characteristics can help with aggressive short radius turns, i.e. you load the ski with pressure during the turn, then it rebounds which can help you into the next turn - think of skiers who like to make very quick turns and seem to be 'bouncing' effortlessly from one turn to the next.

When you test different skis from one day to the next you will probably start to notice major differences between them. It will quickly show you which skis suit your ability level and technique. As a French guide once said to me, when I told him I didn't like my high quality hired skis: "Maybe they don't like YOU".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Salomon Aeros are a truly epic hybrid ski. Unless you want a significant change in shape you will not get anything that offers a lot better.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy