Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Customs Clamp Down

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@rjs, that shows how slow I am posting Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And no Swiss chicken is battery farmed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gämsbock wrote:
And no Swiss chicken is battery farmed.

Yes, but that chicken is not necessarily Swiss. It says it's only packaged in Switz in the specification. Budget lines from Migros and Coop usually use foreign chicken.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dutch or Thai.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
davidof wrote:

81km/h in a 50 zone but I was between 2 villages and hadn't realized the 50 zone continued between the villages. There was a sign but I didn't see it. No excuses, fair enough. It was quite a shock getting involved with the Swiss justice system though.

Blimey didn't realise the penalties were that harsh. I take it the 81 is after they took off a few km/h as margin? Is the ban also applicable in FR or just CH?

They didn't allow much, I will look out the docs. I thought it was an 80 or 90 limit but simply because I'd not paid attention to the sign. Entirely my fault.

Yes the fine was based on my tax return... most snowheads would be seeing a much bigger fine I expect. The ban applies to CH only but it basically means I won't be driving there for the next 3 years.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@snoozeboy, thanks, I had wondered about that though not got around to looking. I don't buy the budget line but the normal Migros line states it is Swiss. The advantage of the shops being closed on Sundays is that you can often get it half price on Saturdays!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blimey when I think of all the bacon and sausages that have crossed the border at Vallorbe in the boot of my car ... allegedly ...

We actually got stopped once, just inside the border (after the little roundabout), late at night, by two customs bods in a Volvo. They were just starting to interrogate me about the contents of the boot when their radio squawked and they took off in a hurry. Saved by the bell.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pamski, They thought of that but were going to be fined anyway. @snoozeboy, The turkey was pretty heavy, they thought it would be a good gift as the turkeys are so small here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sorry for the customs charges etc but 1200chf for a turkey is possibly the funniest thing i've heard in the last few months!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidof, I could easily be wrong but I think if you have access to a smart car restricted to 50kph you are allowed to drive one of those,

Or maybe a la francaise if you need to drive for professional reasons.

Don't quote me
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's quite a good app from the Swiss Customs authorities that is fairly straightforward to interpret: search for 'swiss customs and it's the free app called 'Travel & Goods' and has a grey icon with Swiss cross in the top left corner and 'Customs' in the bottom right corner. There is no reason to pay for any of the non-official apps. See 'Entering Switzerland' then 1.3 'I am carrying goods. The new rules have been in place almost 18 months, if I recall. We've been stopped roughly 2 out of 3 times when we crossed at Vallorbe over that time. We've also been stopped going into France as well, although obviously what they are applying are the rules for goods into the EU.

My reading of the rules, and talking to locals, is that the Swiss authorities are mainly trying to limit grocery shopping by Swiss in French border towns, and the importation of furniture. So if you're an apartment or chalet owner be particularly careful about bringing over furniture. We seem to have a much wider range of choice in the UK, especially for mid-range, solid wood, modern designs. It may be that I'm not plugged-in to the Swiss online furniture market, but they don't seem to have anywhere near the same range of online suppliers. Yes, there's Ikea, but our Swiss Ikea kitchen cost 30% more than exactly the same one (and same part numbers) in the UK.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@msej449, thanks for the heads up, I've just downloaded it. A quick look for my next trip and the only thing that might be an issue would be the ham we were intending to carry. Even then 1kg each and 19 chfs for any excess wouldn't be too big a deal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The tariffs are meant for those coming into Switzerland and staying here. They dont count for those passing though but I don't know the procedure for this.

I would love to know the approx weight of the turkey to get an idea of the scale of the fines though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@msej449, thanks very much - installed!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy