Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Snowed heavily all morning up top. Instructor took us over to some untouched boot-high powder (on piste) over Finkenberg way first thing which was good fun but crashed and burned on 3 out of the 4 attempts to get down it! Cleared up a bit around lunch time so lapped red 12 and black 15 for a few hours to get some confidence back after the trauma of the morning. Conditions on both - and on most other runs - were superb. Stayed below freezing all day so everything held up well.

@rowlski Skied with the Habeler school. They are smaller than the others and start at 9 rather than 10 so if you like a leisurely start maybe look elsewhere. Anyway would definitely recommend. Only 3 in my class (2 for the bad viz days) so almost like private tuition although they do reduce the hours to 2 rather than 4 after the first day if less than 4 in the group. I'm gonna pitch up on Sunday and if they have a group going for 2 hours a day will sign up for another week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @alanhay, have sent Habeler an enquiry.

Sounds and looks like conditions are great, nice and clear today and then cloudy and snowy for about 3 days again. How are you managing to be out there for an extended period of time? Seriously envious Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh and have you tried the Black that goes all the way down to the valley from the Ahorn? Expect it will be closed by the time we get there but wondering how tricky it is on the off chance it is still open? The apartment we've booked is very near the Ahorn lift station so outside chance I could ski back if the snow stayed (doubtful by end March).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cracking sunny day. Just having a tea and then off to do the black down from The Ahorn. Will let you know how it is!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rowlski skied black 5 down from The Ahern and it was fine. Bit icy but plenty of snow on it. Noticed they had snow cannon all the way down so assuming stays cold enough you should be okay. In terms of difficulty not too bad. Nice and wide on the steeper parts with a few narrow flatter parts.

@rowlski I am out here for just under 2 weeks and then go straight to the Courchevel for a third week! It is my only trip of the year however. No kids to pay for makes it easier.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One more sleep then see you all there
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alanhay, thanks for the view on black 5, will give that a go if it remains open, sounds like the kind of black I can cope with Smile

I'd happily use all my holiday during the winter months of skiing but my other half objects to the idea of me abandoning her and the kids Twisted Evil

Was in Courchevel last Easter for first time. Got to say I prefer most Austrian places for atmosphere and feel of mountain huts, village etc. but it is a fantastic ski area... though eye wateringly expensive!!

Good luck to both you and @KernowRed, enjoy the fantastic conditions!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah must admit Austria seems better in almost every respect; scenery, value for money, architecture of the resorts, transport (you can get a train almost anywhere). Don't know why I bother with France.

Anyway, after a flat calm week,
bit windy up top today. Lots of lifts closed so didn't stray too far from the central area. Fantastic snow on every run I skied. Been absolutely lashing down rain in resort all night so could be good fun tomorrow if that's snow up top.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fairly substantial snow in resort this morning. Certainly most there has been over the last 10 days or so. Pistes are in excellent condition but the bad viz makes for challenging skiing at times. Apart from Monday am has snowed pretty much constantly up top since Saturday evening. Forecast is for a bit of sun Wednesday and Thursday.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the update again @alanhay, I thought you were off to Courchevel by now? Yes loads of snow falling all the time does make for challenging light / skiing - I like seeing it fall from a distance, obviously when I'm there its only allowed to snow overnight with bright blue sky days Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great skiing this morning before the weather closed in again early pm. Came down at three as complete white out pretty much everywhere as far as I could tell. Anyway more than enough of the white stuff now so hopefully the forecast blue skies will materialise for my last 2 days in Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We fly out this weekend Happy hopefully on the Piste Saturday afternoon

whats the weather like today
??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beautiful blue sky day. Same forecast for my last day tomorrow. Bit windy in places. Pretty Cold still so snow should hold up well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anymore on the ground updates? How's the snow holding up?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow was pretty decent in Kaltenbach and Hochfügen. Very foggy yesterday (visibility often less than the distance to the next piste marker, which was fun). Not so bad today.
Must be plenty of snow up there. Certainly nothing is brown, down to the mid-station of the valley run. But the bottom section is closed.

I imagine Mayrhofen and Zell am Ziller will be much the same.
snow conditions
Wow what a great place to go, we were totally spoilt with the 4 days of snow but the off piste in hintertux and Kaltenbach were amazing. Defo going back next year this area has enough of everything.

http://youtube.com/v/Cln0GYpAdn0
snow conditions
Fly out tomorrow. Can't wait. How's it looking for the next week.
snow conditions
A few tips,

Go to kaltenbach, great place to ski and if you head up hoch fugen end there are lovely runs.

Get up to rastkogen, 150tux lift on penkin. Great area with lovely runs.

Not sure on next week but hey the snow was holding up well.
latest report
We are out on 26th too, always use SMT for lessons, they are really good with kids. my daughter (11), will be snowboarding for the first time,having done all her levels at Chillfactore - should be interesting, she had better keep up has been at skiing with SMT since she was 4, Austria is a world away from the French schools and they have a little competition on the last day.

We have been going to the Hof. for 20 years now and always used Luigi for skis, does anyone know if he has retired this season and a good alternative?

Someone asked about getting around on foot, yes it's fairly easy, especially on the Penken. Lots of people going up and coming down on chairs, the lifties are very helpful.
ski holidays
Luigi has retired.
snow conditions
Can anyone tell me what is the deal with the old fella that goes around the bars, he was wearing plastic flashing devil horns.
latest report
@K8T, My kids will be with SMT the same week and you're right, really good with kids.
We use Intersport Brundl - certainly not the cheapest but got a wide range and quality's good, kids 10 and under are free if both parents hire though. Prebook and they'll be ready and waiting for you.Use the depot by the Ahorn if it's convenient as it's got lots of space and you get a free locker under the cable car(or used to) which may or may not be of use .
snow conditions
@K8T, The greenroom took over Luggi's - http://www.rentski.info/

@KernowRed, Disco Dave just loves coming on holiday to Mayrhofen and getting involved!
snow report
@K8T and all. So my wife who doesn't ski, will be able to sit around the bars at the top of the gondola then?
snow conditions
@scotspikey, Yep, and also with the pedestrian pass they also include one ascent and descent up the combibahn, so she will be able to go one stage higher and sit in the new restaurant at the top of the lift.
ski holidays
KernowRed wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is the deal with the old fella that goes around the bars, he was wearing plastic flashing devil horns.

Yup, his name is Dave, and quite frankly I cant post on here what most people think of him.
snow report
Out here now, first day on skis today and it was pretty warm!! Solid in the morning and softened up by around lunchtime for some nice runs before becoming a bit slushy. Meant to be slightly cooler tomorrow and forecast seems to be for hazy days with perhaps the odd snow or even rain shower.

Kids liked their lessons on the Ahorn today. Trying to work out which day looks best for a Hintertux trip at the moment ...
ski holidays
Having a beer at the iglu bar at top of the Ahorn, very nice too. Bit windier today but slightly cooler air temperature than yesterday so snow stayed better a bit longer.

Still pretty slush mogully on narrow slopes on penken but good fun, can't complain Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seriously warm today even when the sun didn't break through, in fact it was pretty mixed, quite a lot of cloud - seemingly more on the Penken side than Ahorn. Didn't refreeze overnight either so whilst fine to start with did mean the snow got slushy a lot more quickly.

The wind also got up today and as I type it's getting very strong ... somewhat worried about lift openings tomorrow if it stays this strong Confused

There's now bunting everywhere for Snowbombing for next week, sure it will be a blast if rather warm! Predicting 20 degrees in the valley tomorrow Shocked
snow report
It was indeed over 20 in the valley today even with the sun hiding behind the clouds this evening Shocked

After kids morning ski lessons we headed up to Hintertux which was lovely cooler as you'd expect though the wind got really strong though the lifts coped remarkably well - swinging around far less than the Penkenbahn which is much lower altitude. Last day tomorrow, been a good week and enjoyed exploring the area, need more time / flexibility from kids ski lessons to appreciate it fully.
snow report
Last on the spot update from me, was our last day and wow it was warm. Was up the mountain (Ahorn for kids ski school races) at 9.30am and no overnight refreeze meant it was already slushy and it went downhill from there!

It was pretty overcast, the forecast sunny weather never really materialised which was probably a blessing as the higher chairlift was displaying 18 degrees at about 1800 metres Shocked

Gave up skiing by 2pm as it was slushmageddon! Had a good week, hopefully will get a bit cooler next week for those out Snowboarding Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy