Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF or Evolution 2 for snowboarding Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone any experience of these 2 schools?

Have gone over to the dark side from skiing for a number of years and as a complete beginner, want to book a lesson package.

Narrowed down to these 2 as they are both offering morning lessons - can't think of anything worse than kicking my heels on the first day waiting for afternoon lessons!

Both similarly priced.

Although I have been to LDA 3 times before as a skier, never had lessons with either of these, so wondered if anyone out there had any preference??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you looked at European Ski School also? Not a boarder so no real experience. For skiing I'd recommend ESS. ESF will obviously be french instructors, Evo2 french or possibly Italian and ESS Italian (but they cater very much for UK market so excellent English).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ESS are afternoon lessons for beginners, which I found a bit odd, so hence excluded them, otherwise I would have probably gone with them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A friend of mine Matteo Lanteri is a snowboard instructor with ESS, lovely guy, excellent English, their private lessons are really good value too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jocrad, if you have afternoon lessons, no need to kick your heels in the morning. Practice scooting around (do you know whether you are goofy or regular?) get the feel of the balance, maybe try some one-footed glides on the very gentlest of slopes. Get used to doing up the bindings and standing up (much easier to get onto the toe side, on a hill). There are loads of videos on the internet - get an experienced snowboarder to find a good one for you (some are fairly rubbish). I have the BASI Beginner snowboard DVD - which is worth getting. My copy is in France, or you could borrow it. It's worth a look.

An hour (probably enough before you stop for a breather) messing around will help a lot when you start the lessons.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jocrad, Another good book/DVD is Go Snowboard by Neil McNab.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Go Snowboard by Neil McNab.

especially if you ride Goofy. You can get it second hand from amazon - make sure you get the DVD.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The simple rule-of-thumb when learning to snowboard is "NEVER NEVER NEVER USE THE ESF"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

"NEVER NEVER NEVER USE THE ESF"

Laughing In Tignes in November there was a big bunch of ESF instructors learning to snowboard, presumably ready to start teaching if they passed their week. I overheard their instructor, at the bottom of one of the T bars, telling them how to ride the lift and what to do with their back foot. Shocked

Mind you, they did pick it up very fast, and the instructor was an impressive rider. But when I had lessons with a French (not ESF) instructor some years ago he taught me to turn with arms and shoulders.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I get your gist @pam w, but I just cannot even begin to think how I could fill a whole morning doing that!

I've done a day course ina fridge, so know some absolute basics but I would much rather get on with on the first morning.

Oh, and I do ride goofy!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jocrad, if you've done the basics, you can do some toe and heel slides - falling leaves?

You'd have to be filling your afternoons, if you had morning lessons.

It's very tiring when you start. I'd try to do maybe an hour, then have a good break, and maybe another 30 - 40 mins if you feel energetic. Find a nice café alongside a nursery slope.

It really is worth getting a highly recommended ski school - I have used ESF for skiing, for myself and others (though I prefer the equally French ESI) but when it comes to snowboarding, you really can get some duff lessons.

Get that McNab book - the demos on the DVD are all goofy IIRC.

I spent an entire long session having a root canal filling at the dentist, doing snowboarding in my head, to really dial in the footsteering (I rode regular) and it made a big difference. Actually I could do it much better that way and a root canal filling involved a lot less pain and discomfort than some of the crashes I had when snowboarding for real. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's the tiredness and having to concentrate in the afternoon that I don't like - I wear a knee brace to ski and after trying a day's boarding, I'll need to wear it then too I think. The knee can get tired in the afternoon so I'd rather have the option of calling it a day at 2pm or 2:30pm, say, instead of only being half way through a lesson and starting to feel it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah, I see the problem, @jocrad, I have a knee that gets tired too. Obviously if you end up with lessons in the afternoon you'd need to have a lie-in and a lazy morning. When are you going?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
6th of Feb, very much looking forward to it. Been a few years since we've been there, nice to go back to somewhere you know.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hope you have a good time. French school hols, so don't leave it too late to decide on your snowboard lessons. snowHead
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
The simple rule-of-thumb when learning to snowboard is "NEVER NEVER NEVER USE THE ESF"

we sat at the bottom of a piste yesterday watching an ESF instructor come down. This guy was ****ing terrible, not just bad, I've seen countless bad ESF snowboarders, this guy could barely link a turn Shocked
snow conditions
I think Evo 2 it is, I'm going to book it this week!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy