Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long does it take to break new Ski boots in?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Mountain Addiction, I think you missed the point. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flow... WTF. never encountered 'flowing' ski boots
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@Mountain Addiction, I think you missed the point. Twisted Evil

Sure 'I' missed the point. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lets just re-phase, it take a while for the lining to adjust to your foot and pack out in the right places. Probably 3 days to a week from new. And maybe the first 2 days of every new season.

If they still hurt after that its not the liner and the shell is wrong fit, with good fitting and vaguely normal feet this should not happen.

After about 5-7 years (tell the wife 3 so you look like a hero when you soldier on before buying new ones) the liner will get so packed out that they are now wellies. At this point you can buy a new liner or new boots. With some older boots and maybe even new ones there is a theory that the plastic starts to degrade and they could become brittle and unsafe. Is this true how many years is it. Probably the correct answer is n+about of months till new season where n is the amount of time you have owned the boots Smile

I certainly know with mine first day I am on the lowest setting on my boots and doing some proper man moaning. " No its fine I never liked that toe anyway" etc by the end of the holiday I am strapping them down like a racer Smile

Important note here, no boot should feel perfect to begin with otherwize they will end up being too big and sloppy. If they hurt too much don't automatically change them, apply Rule 5

G
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

there is a theory that the plastic starts to degrade and they could become brittle and unsafe

that is true, but it takes a while. A friend had 2 clips pull out of boots at the restaurant in Les Contamines one day. But they were ancient - her tight husband had bought them in a (Ca)r Boot Sale. wink I had some powder traces in my back pack - that was one of only two occasions when they've been useful.

I had been urging her to rent decent boots and skis all week - after that she gave in and followed my advice. Her OH, a poor skier, struggled on his stupid great car boot skis. Laughing

My sister had the entire bases of a pair of boots disintegrate - she was leaving purple bits all over the snow. They were those white rear entry boots with purply pink soles - also ancient.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I heard of someone having their boot disintegrate while skiing the Wall. That is 100% the worst place that could happen to you. However as with all skiing stories pinch of salt probably required.

G
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

And maybe the first 2 days of every new season.

Not so sure about that, although for sure the first putting on of the boots is always a "moment". And no question your feet get used to not being in boots.

My boot liners consistently last ~180 days so three seasons. Current boots are on second liner and third season. I expect to replace them after this season, unless I change strategy and acquire something a little more freeride. The stinkiness sometimes triggers earlier replacement... !!

Certain models/colours/plastics have been known to be unusually sensitive to UK degradation. Technica TNT Explosions apparently.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've done about 6x 2 hour sessions at the Chillfactore over the past couple of months to break-in my liner a bit. I'm glad I did, the first few sessions were really painful and would have hated to have just put up with that for the first day or two of my holiday. Last time I went they felt good so mission accomplished for end of Feb next year Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a pair of Dynafit 3F (the later model with the enclosed Spring), crack and fall apart after about 6-7 years, back the the 90's. I had been skiing all morning, and was walking up some steps back to the lift, and tripped on a step. What had actually happened was the entire sole of the boot had separated, tripping me up. The other boot was also heavily cracked.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup agree beginning of season is not liner more feet adjusting. It take a while for me, guess its down to the individual.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've noticed that when I'm 'on my feet' in drag lift ski areas my feet start to ache after a couple of hours. Being able to sit down on chairlifts etc is essential with my current boots, and I can ski all day with no issues whatsoever. Boot related that is.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy