Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Information and ski groups

Poster: A snowHead
I am in information gathering mode and would appreciate help from anybody who has been in Chamonix before and has knowledge of how the resort works.
First thing: not going until 2017 (February and March).

Accommodation: I am thinking of renting a 1 br apartment in Argentiere....which is not in the main hub but apparently very quiet. Perfect! Anybody able to offer alternative suggestions or more suitable locations? I might also have accommodation to let and am wondering if that is highly sought after in the area as well.

Ski group: having never skied Chamonix before I do not want to end up in a glacier if possible. I ski the blacks, am physically fit and love a challenge. Is there a group or groups who ski with a local who can show people around? In America guest services provides this as a service but not if Chamonix takes care of its visitors in the same way. Given the cost of a 2 month stay I really do not need to pay through the nose for a local guide for a week or two as being bankrupt is something I'd like to avoid.

Any other pertinent information is also appreciated.........already factored in the Courmayeur and possibly Verbier, although this might be a bit too far away.

Sorry for picking everybody's brains but I do not want to botch my planning for what should be a most enjoyable trip...if there is snow. Madeye-Smiley

Thanks for persevering. Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are a member (or happy to join) http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/skiclubleaders.aspx#.VmlbQnyTVZs

Tinderbox sometimes do seasonnaire weekly lessons in GM also during the season - focussing on all mountain skiing.

Closer to the time (i.e. next year!) add your details to the skibuddies thread too on here – there are a few snowHeads around Chamonix every winter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BASS Chamonix a British (mainly Irish) ski school do very good seasonaire sessions on a Wed. Very good for brushing up technique, and meeting people. I've lived in Argentiere, Chamonix and Les Houches, and if you don't mind it being cold, and not too bothered re nightlife then Argentiere is the best. Don't worry about finding yourself on a glacier the pistes are well marked and 4 out of 5 of the valley resorts don't have glaciers anyway. Having your own transport is a big plus but not essential especially if you are based in Argentiere. An Appartment is fine and plentiful if not cheap, however if you are on your own and reasonably sociable then a shared house will be much better. Make sure you buy your season pass early, ie before the end of November to get a huge discount of 50%.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys.
Aware of the ski pass.
Will not have a car so bus access is important.
So where do most people ski? Argentiere or Chamonix?
Watched a couple of UTubes: Les Grands Montets (fantastic) and Vallee blanche (looked flat and boring). Looking for challenge and not and experiences. Is there an ideal location to get it all?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I go between the different areas depending on the conditions, who I’m skiing with, and how lazy I am. Brevent is probably my least favourite (but I do still like it) – good if I’m with beginners, or for access to Flegere. Otherwise I probably spend most of my time in GM or Le Tour, but try to get to Flegere and Les Houches as often as I can.

I had a car the last couple of winters though – I won’t when I’m out this time, so that might change my views.

Anyway, GM is great! Lots of people never ski anywhere else, and it’s easy to understand why once you’ve done it a few times.

Car – nice to have, not essential. The buses are fine, and in bad weather you don’t have to worry about the roads – they do it all for you. Also no walking to and from car parks – the buses drop you off as close to the lift as is possible.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rambotrader,
http://www.chamonet.com/ski-area/
Lots of info here, on and off piste of all the different areas.
When I lived in Argentiere I skied mainly at GM and Le Tour.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys. Argentiere sounding better by the day.
Thought that Brevent had some serious blacks? Have not read anything about Le Tour so I'll have to check that one out.
The buses sound workable. In Colorado buses are the only way to go so I hope that the bus system is as user friendly as the US. From what I have read it does sound like they are a bit thin on though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
BASS Chamonix a British (mainly Irish) ski school do very good seasonaire sessions on a Wed. Very good for brushing up technique, and meeting people. I've lived in Argentiere, Chamonix and Les Houches, and if you don't mind it being cold, and not too bothered re nightlife then Argentiere is the best. Don't worry about finding yourself on a glacier the pistes are well marked and 4 out of 5 of the valley resorts don't have glaciers anyway. Having your own transport is a big plus but not essential especially if you are based in Argentiere. An Appartment is fine and plentiful if not cheap, however if you are on your own and reasonably sociable then a shared house will be much better. Make sure you buy your season pass early, ie before the end of November to get a huge discount of 50%.

A bit late getting back. Currently in Colorado trying to finalise arrangements for Chamonix 2017.
A question about season passes. I know to buy October/November but I have forgotten the prices. Had a look at the rack rate and am horrified as I can get a season pass in Colorado for under US$570. So need to score the right price to make Chamonix viable for 2.
Can you or anybody else recall how much the MBU is, both normal and 65 year old one? Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The discount season pass rate for this winter was 913€. Next year will no doubt be a bit more. Age reductions begin at 70.

The price for skiing Colorado may be $570, but that's 'cause it's Colorado, not Chamonix. If are looking for VFM based on numbers of lifts/pistes/high mileage/pass price, you may not be looking at the right place. If you are looking at pretty easy access to some mind boggling mountain terrain, this may be the place.

if you ski anything like the bulk of experienced Americans I have met out here, and ski well off piste, suck it up and spend the money and have the best time ever.

Also search the other Chamonix threads on here; more information than you can shake a stick at.

If you do decide to come, you will easily make contact on here with like minded people much nearer the time. Those around my age can't guarantee to still be sound of wind and limb at this time next year!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have not skied Chamonix before and clearly you have not skied Colorado. I'll know soon enough if your bias is spot on or bravado. Horses for courses maybe!

I think you may be a bit mistaken about the passes as well. The Veteran rate cuts in at 75 but there is a Senior group which fits in below that:

http://www.compagniedumontblanc.co.uk/en/lift-passes/gp

Are you able to clarify what 930 euros buys you in October? Is it the Mont Blanc Season Pass for adults (half the rate given in the link)? That would make Chamonix work. Also, I assume that the "season pass" is for winter only????

FYI - Colorado has numerous ski areas. Vail is probably the best of the pack with long blue runs top to bottom and plenty of blacks. Vail also has 5289 skiable acres and 193 different trails. Huge!! Whilst not in the class of Vallee Blanche (17 km?) Vail has great vertical fall and I doubt whether the Vallee Blanche is anything other than green in gradient as not possible to have such a long run any other way. Sorry to sound like a paid advertisement. Don't mean to be. Just that people who belittle a ski area they have not skied tend to set me off. A football team is entirely different to a ski area.

It will be interesting to see what Chamonix can offer. We'll see. We are looking forward to coming. Trying to finalise details.....and the cost of the lifts is a make or break variable. At the price you suggested it should work.

Thanks. Don't take anything above personally.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just answered your question. 913€ for the season. Adults. Season is for the season. Annual c1050€ Is for the year, which works out very well if you climb in the summer and autumn . My memory was that old age savings came in at 70. I seem to have the memory of an older man. Still 13/18 years 'till it's helpful to me.

No bravado. It's the price in urp. Probably the dearest bit. They do though have a lift that takes you up about 9000 feet and another providing 6000 ft top to bottom.

My point about VFM still stands. If you want to ski miles and miles of pistes, including very steep and challenging ones, Chamonix is probably not the best choice in Europe. The 3 valleys, Verbier, perhaps St Anton/Lech/Zurs might be better choices. The latter have lifts with heated seats. They are fab.

As an instructor chum resident there for 20+ years advised me, Chamonix is really an off piste ski valley. The company have made efforts to open more pistes, and to link things up, to attract more people. But that doesn't change the essential nature of the place. Just trying to be helpful in my clumsy way to give my two pennorth. Would hate to see someone spend a lot of time and money on the wrong place. If however it is what you are after, in its own way it is good value.

it would be interesting if those Frenchies converted the VB and Grands Montets into acres, skiable or otherwise!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks. Point of view appreciated.
We skied 3 months in Mont Tremblant (Quebec province, Canada). Yeah, the French can be interesting. Not known for a lot of common sense and quite difficult at times. Our perceptions....
You have worried me a bit about lack of groomers. No problem for me (preferred) but my wife unlikely to ski off piste. Also travel insurance may be a potential problem as many policies require skiers to stay on piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rambotrader, plenty of groomers. Buy ski insurance locally e.g. Carte Neige. It's not travel insurance but covers what usual travel insurance won't e.g. Off piste. There are alternatives but we use it as it fits our model. About €50 a head for 11 months.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 28-02-16 17:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Priceless information. Thanks.
Any idea what percentage are groomers?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rambotrader, 100% of the groomers are groomed. None of the off piste is.

(I don't really understand your question, so I've answered it literally).
snow conditions
@rambotrader, If you want a lot of groomed runs then I think you'll get bored quite quickly in Chamonix. I've only spent a week there which was mostly off-piste, but in the 2 days it wasn't I skied every piste at Grand Montets and Brevent multiple times. As above there are plenty of other places in Europe with a sh*t load more in that department and they still have some good off-piste available.
snow conditions
for accommodation try leboncoin.fr and if you don't mind somewhere quiet maybe look at montroc at the foot or le tour (walking distance) its only about 3-4 minute drive from argentiere and cheap as chips Smile (you'll need to drive to buy anything you want though)
ski holidays
It depends, @JamesN, how quickly you get bored. I've skied the PdS regularly (every year bar 2) since 1988 and am on my 10th Chamonix season pass...

Just because you've skied one run once doesn't mean it's boring.

For me anyway.
latest report
@under a new name, Maybe bored was the wrong word, skiing is never boring Very Happy
ski holidays
@JamesN, may it was the wrong word.

I must confess that if I have to ski on piste I prefer getting some distance in, e.g. having a bit of a mission and Brevent-Fleger and back isn't really it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy